Sofware Engineer - immigrate to Canada

Software_Eng

Hi everyone,

Perhaps this question was asked before, but I just couldn't find anything that fits my description. I need to ask someone with experience for help and a bit of guidance.

I am EU citizen, age 25, married to an EU citizen. I'm a software engineer with a proof of career track of 4 years. Unfinished university education (2 years out of 4, started working early).

Wife has a Master degree. We also have a child, less than 2 years old, American citizen. We lived for 3 years in the US and don't have a track of overstaying or being illegally there.

We don't speak or write French.

What are our options for immigrating to Canada? As far as I know, they are two (for us):
1. Skilled workers and professionals - ht tp://w ww.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/index.asp
2. Quebec-selected skilled workers - ht tp://w ww.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/quebec/apply-who.asp

Which one of the two I have better chance with? If I go for #2, could I move out of Quebec later, and when?

The way I understand the process for #2 is:
1. Apply to Quebec government for a certificate of selection (Basically - does Quebec want me). Here is the first question. Do they accept Software Engineers (Programmers, Developers)?
2. Apply to CIC for residence. So that's a second iteration of assessment? What is to be expected here?
3. Medical - it's ok
4. Criminal - ok
5. Funds - we have enough savings

Correct me if I am wrong and please share experience with that option. Also, where would I apply? Should I send documents to Canada, or to my 'local' office? It makes a difference, as processing in Canada takes significantly less time, as far as I know.

Now for the first option - Skilled workers and professionals.
That's for example if I want to live in Vancouver. Who can apply?
ht tp://w ww.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who-instructions.asp#list

This list doesn't mention Software at all. The closest one is 'Computer and Information Systems Managers'. Does this mean I have to hold a management position in a computer related job, in order to qualify?

Also, under the eligibility tool (ht tp://w ww.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/tool/tool_01c.asp), when I select 'Natural and applied sciences and related occupations' there is 'Computer and Information Systems Professionals' which matches my profession. Later in the test, again only Management positions are mentioned.

If being a manager is my only option in this category, do you think it would be a problem if I apply under 'management' position, although that would not be 100% accurate?

To summarize my question into a single sentence - given the facts above, what is my best option to immigrate to Canada? What processing time should I expect? I read the entire ht tp://w ww.cic.gc.ca site content, but I still need someone who had first hand experience with the process.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Canadian Immigration

Hello,

I am also planning to apply for Canadian Immigration. I have an Engineering degree from Delhi University and 5 years of Experience in IT (2+ years in US and rest in India).

According to my knowledge, if i look at Canadian Immigration Website our occupation is not in demand (under Skilled Worker category). But if i do an online accessment on the consulting websites, i score more than required points.

Please guide me on the whole process. I can be reached on my email at mansibhalla84 AT gmail.com

Regards,
Mansi