SocialSecurity Number with EAD card

long_waitin_bos

Registered Users (C)
Hi, I know this question has been asked before, but I could not find the thread which has this information, so please bear with me.

Which option should we choose in the SS application form if we are applying with EAD, I see

Legal Alien Allowed to Work
Legal Aliean not allowed to work
Others

My guess is Legal Aliean Allowed to work, and send in a copy of the EAD card, is this correct? Your reply is greatly appeciated.

Thanks.

long wait,

you will choose the option that says "Legal Alien not allowed to work " .

I have one question for you though.. I am in a similar situation for my wife . We got the Interim EAD and had gone to the SSN office on the same day .. I found that the SSN office was unable to verify that my wife had gotten her I EAD and that we have to wait 15 days before we could apply ..

Are you in the same situation too ..
Let me know,
Rotny

long_waitin_bos

I guess you need to select the "Legal Alien Allowed to Work" option in the SS application form.

ROTNY

ROTNY: I got approved for the EAD, and the message says the card has been ordered.

BUt, why can't you apply saying Legal Aliean allowed to work ?

long_waitin_bos

I am sorry you should select "Legal Alien Allowed to Work" . Did you apply for your SSN ?? If so, after how long after getting your I - EAD did you apply your SSN ?

Thanks.

ROTNY

No, I have not applied for SSN yet, and my EAD was not I-EAD. MY EAD got approved on 5th and I have not received my card yet.

I had very bad experience with SSN office to share with. When I got my wife's EAD I took her to SSN office to apply for SSN#. We were told to come after 21days saying that I will get SSN automatically. I didn't get SSN even after 21days, so We went again after 21days to SSN office. This time we were asked have you got any receipt saying that I will get SSN along with EAD. I said no because we didn't get. Then the guy told us that he could not verify the documents to apply for SSN and he sent a request to INS for the documents(GOD knows what documents!). It seems that takes between from 30-60 days.

Had I been asked in the first place that "have I received any receipt along with EAD", I could have avoided the 21days. Anyway, you know how the INS and SSN govenment employees work here.
Now I'm in the waiting mode.

In my wifes case they just looked at EAD card and entered some information from it into system and we were told that SSN card will come to our home address with in 10 business days. They didn't ask for any additional document from INS.

Folks,

I have a similar experience too , we got our I-EAD and had gone to the SSN office and was informed that it take anywhere from 15 - 30 days for them to verify the EAD in the system.

This is ridiculous according to me ,

vahope4gc,

When did you apply your SSN ? and how long did it actually take to get the SSN .

Thanks,
Rotny

After getting Interim EAD for my wife and same day we went to SSN office and applied for SSN.

They gave us a letter that we received your application for SSN, we have to verify your EAD information with INS and if it is valid you will get SSN card within 6-8 weeks. If we can not verify information then you will get letter saying we can not verify your information with INS.

so we have to wait for 6-8 weeks.

kmunna,

Did you get a receipt after applying for your SSN or did they juts give you plain letter - I mean did the letter state that you have applied . Because the SSN receipt will tell you that you are suppose to get the card in 10 - 14n days .

Originally posted by Rotny
kmunna,

Did you get a receipt after applying for your SSN or did they juts give you plain letter - I mean did the letter state that you have applied . Because the SSN receipt will tell you that you are suppose to get the card in 10 - 14n days .

We took interim EAD and went to SS office for SSN. They took the application and copy of EAD and Passport. They will check in their system after 10 days. If our EAD info is updated, they would issue SSN. If not they will send the copies of docs. they took to the ins and wait for the ins to respond. It may take any where from 6-8 week they say. They gave a receipt saying they received our application. any movement in your SS# application.

yes they give us letter with Name and date of application on it.

saying we will receive it within 6-8 weeks

Applied on same day for SSN after getting Interim EAD

Hi,

We got interim EAD and applied for SSN on the same day. They could not verify EAD information on the system. They told us they would send the documents to local INS for verifying EAD and then they will issue SSN. It may take 3 to 4 weeks. Asked me to check after 10 days. If EAD information is updated, then they will issue SSN without waiting response from INS. Thats what I have been told. I wish I would have waited for couple of days and then applied for SSN.

Thanks
Tsdens

We also took iEAD and applied for SS# next day. They couldn't verify my wife's info. in their system. We applied for SS Card on 25 Feb. Received it on March 16th.

Thanks

Hi aks999,

Thanks for your reply. That gives me some hope :). Could you please tell me which SSN you visited ( Name of the town).

Thanks
Tsdens

Re: Thanks

Originally posted by tsdens
Hi aks999,

Thanks for your reply. That gives me some hope :). Could you please tell me which SSN you visited ( Name of the town).

Thanks
Tsdens

Portsmouth, NH