Social Security

Hi,
I got my social security card in mail day before yesterday.

applied for ssn:6/21/06
received card in mail:7/10/06

juno

Hey everyone,

I have a question... I got my SS# back in 1998, I've been using it ever since, even though it says, not valid for employment, I also did my OPT using it.. anyways, now when I will get my EAD (hopefully one day soon), do I need to get new SS# or do I just notify SS Adm. about the status change?? Thanks!

You should not get a new SSN. The "not valid for employment" on the SS card just means that you cannot use the card to get employment. You will need additional documentation (such as an EAD card). Getting the EAD card does not change that, so I do not see why you would need to contact the SSA. They would still not be able to remove the "not valid for employment" phrase on your SS card because you need your EAD to get employment.

running_swede said:
You will need additional documentation (such as an EAD card). Getting the EAD card does not change that, so I do not see why you would need to contact the SSA. They would still not be able to remove the "not valid for employment" phrase on your SS card because you need your EAD to get employment.

That is incorrect. When you show them the EAD, the SSA will update your status in their system and issue you a new card that says "Valid for Work only with DHS Authorization".

Pinturicchio said:
That is incorrect. When you show them the EAD, the SSA will update your status in their system and issue you a new card that says "Valid for Work only with DHS Authorization".
Actually, that is what it says on my card already (except with INS instead of DHS). Got mine back in 1997 when I was in the U.S. on a J-1 visa. I wrongly assumed that snowflake's card said the same and that he/she did not quote the text on the card. Surprised to learn that it would say "not valid for employment" unconditionally, but if it does then it is worth getting a new card (still same SSN). Sorry.

applied for ssn on jan 24 2007 they said i have to wait 6-8 weeks because they need to verify with uscis about ead card no approval letter yet still waiting