Social Security

i am sooooooo maddddddddddd
its been 4 weeks since i applied for my social security card feb 14...its march 14 today and still nothing!!!!!!!!
i went to the office they said they are still verifying..they wrote to immigration, but they haven't responded back yet. She said my EAD is not in the system either.........how long do i gotta wait?
i been applying for jobs, but all of them want background checks they need social security numbers,...i am losing offers..this is not fair

Hi All,

I am now here in CA and I was able to apply for SSN last tuesday. Though they asked for a an address here in CA where they can send the card co'z they said they cannot send it to my permanent address in Vegas. They said I will receive my card within 2wks...

Another thing, I just received my interview notice for 18April yesterday. I'll start another post abt that, hope any of you can give me some advice.

Thank you all...

brandonresume said:
I just got my EAD in the mail 2 days ago. I went to the SSA office today to apply for my Social Security Card, but they said they didn't have my verification records from Immigration so they couldn't issue me a Social Security Card or Number. All I got was a letter saying I have an application on file and that they need to check my documents with a certain agency and that it would take 4 weeks, if they matched the documents I showed them then they would mail me my SSN, but if not they would send me a rejection letter in writing. Has anyone else had problems getting their SSN after they got their EAD? This is so frusterating, another thing to wait for, I just wanna work this is insane.

I got my EAD in the mail today and immediately drove to SS office to apply for a card. They told me exectly the same thing. I wonder how long will it take in my case?...

hi,

I am in the same situation, I received my EAD monday May 08th and applied for the SS card the next day. They gave me the same letter as everybody else here, telling I have to wait.

I wonder why they have to check this way, can't they just call the USCIS and with the number on the EAD check the process? Just the same way we check our status while we are waiting to get approved, the machine has the last updated datas and will tell them if we got approved or not. They could this way deliver a SSN and if they really need a written proof from the USCIS ask them a letter but at least we are not stuck waiting for weeks.

Looks like they really like to make us wait. Would go faster by sending a pigeon with the request :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted to post my update on SSN situation.
So yesterday, May 11th I drove again to SSA office and asked them to check in their system if my status had been updated. The lady said, that not enough time had passed since I first applied (if you look at my timeline, you will see that I applied on May 1ST), therefore she does not believe I would be in the system. I insisted that she double check. And YES, I WAS IN THAT SYSTEM! So she printed me a letter with my assigned SSN, stamped it and sighed! Hey, I have a number!
However, according to SSA employee, that letter is not sufficient to apply for driver's license, I still have to wait for a card in a mail. She said it should arrive in 10 business day (that's what they all say).
Anyway, at least I already have a number assigned to me and I would recommend to everybody to go to SSA and check on your status, don't wait for them to inform you!

I just read the instructions to apply for my SSN and they say they will need the I-94 for proof of my immigration status. But since my I-94 is expired, what else can I submit to prove my status? Or do they still want to see the I-94?
Also, they don't accept photocopies and I am not going to give them my original I-94!! They accept copies certified by the issuing agency, so can I go to my DO to have it certified?

Thanks a lot for your help.

patty579 said:
I just read the instructions to apply for my SSN and they say they will need the I-94 for proof of my immigration status. But since my I-94 is expired, what else can I submit to prove my status? Or do they still want to see the I-94?
Also, they don't accept photocopies and I am not going to give them my original I-94!! They accept copies certified by the issuing agency, so can I go to my DO to have it certified?

Thanks a lot for your help.
You are not eligible for SSN. You will have to wait till you get your EAD.

Renax said:
Your EAD is a proof of your immigration status. Leave your I-94 at home.

Thats not what they told me at the office. I had to go back again with the I-94, that's a requirement, I even asked to talk to the supervisor witch told me the same thing. Passport, EAD, and I-94 MUST be provided. the EAD is not a proof of anything, otherwise you could re-enter the country with it wich you can't.

If you don't want to take the risk, take it with you.

honeyc74 said:
I just received my EAD card this afternoon and I know the next step is to apply for SS# but the problem is I will be leaving tomorrow morning to CA where I will be working. My employer is really in a hurry to get me started. Can I just apply for SS# in CA eventhough my permanent resident address is here in NV? I know SS will have to verify my records from USCIS but will it cause any problem if my record is here in Las Vegas and I apply for SS# in CA?

Thanks much...

I've done it. Applied in MD and I live in NJ. It will get to my adress in NJ without a problem.

asdrubal22 said:
Thats not what they told me at the office. I had to go back again with the I-94, that's a requirement, I even asked to talk to the supervisor witch told me the same thing. Passport, EAD, and I-94 MUST be provided. the EAD is not a proof of anything, otherwise you could re-enter the country with it wich you can't.

Thanks asdrubal! :)

asdrubal22 said:

That is then totally wrong, sorry to insist but you should go to another SSA office then. Some SSA offices do different procedures but yours in particular are asking for a third document that is not necessary if you have your EAD, unless they want to know if you enter legally the country? and what happened if it's expire? does not make sense what they are asking.

In the other hand your EAD is proof that you are authorize to work, you cannot re-enter with an EAD because is not for travel. And you cannot show your I-131 Advance Parole to obtain your SSN since is for travel not for work :p

Actually on the instructions of the SSN states what you need, so what they are asking is questionable.
http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10002.html#how

cherr1980 said:
That is then totally wrong, sorry to insist but you should go to another SSA office then. Some SSA offices do different procedures but yours in particular are asking for a third document that is not necessary if you have your EAD, unless they want to know if you enter legally the country? and what happened if it's expire? does not make sense what they are asking.

In the other hand your EAD is proof that you are authorize to work, you cannot re-enter with an EAD because is not for travel. And you cannot show your I-131 Advance Parole to obtain your SSN since is for travel not for work :p

Actually on the instructions of the SSN states what you need, so what they are asking is questionable.
http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10002.html#how

Whatever it is I couldn't apply without it. If you want to be there stuck arguing with a mere employee that's your option. I'll be happy if my information helps somebody to get things done.

The I-94 may be expired, they accept it.

I got approved today for my permanent residence in Atlanta Ga. They satmped my passport and they took away from me my work permit. My problem is that the las time i went to the SSA was on the 2nd of May.....i got a letter saying that i wasnt on the system and they were gonna verify it. Its been more that a month...almost 6 weeks and still no social. Iam a resident but i dont have a social...so i cant work!! this sucks!!

Hi all,
I got my EAD on mon and went to SSA off.in Alexandria,VA on WED,the fficer was nice.He asked for Birth certificate which I didnt have so I told him I have the passport so he took it and EAD card.I had my D.L out but he didnt want it.Just made copies of EAD and passport and returned them and gave me a print out saying I should receive card in mail in 30 days(if they get verification from USCIS or denial otherwise).
Wonder why officers are insisting on I-94,I am from canada I dont even have a I-94 or stamp on passport.They only need 2 documents to verify age and name and have to check if person is eligible to work(EAD) which they will verify with USCIS.I think it all depends on the office(might have their own req.) and the officer.
juno