Social Security

brandonresume

Registered Users (C)
I just got my EAD in the mail 2 days ago. I went to the SSA office today to apply for my Social Security Card, but they said they didn't have my verification records from Immigration so they couldn't issue me a Social Security Card or Number. All I got was a letter saying I have an application on file and that they need to check my documents with a certain agency and that it would take 4 weeks, if they matched the documents I showed them then they would mail me my SSN, but if not they would send me a rejection letter in writing. Has anyone else had problems getting their SSN after they got their EAD? This is so frusterating, another thing to wait for, I just wanna work this is insane.

Boy, you should have asked here in the FORUM.. about the next step.

It might take up to 12 weeks, since they are verifying manually with USCIS. You will get your SSN.

I called the day I was going to SSA but their system is messed up. So I went straight to the office crossing my fingers that my EAD would be in their system already (I knew about the manual verifycation). The lady in the window was very surprised that I only got my EAD card a day ago and was already in the system. I was lucky. But it depends on the state.. I live in FLORIDA.

Try calling SSA and see if they can expedite your case? maybe you can go back and you will be in the system.

12 weeks? Oh man I really hope it doesn't take that long. I need to be working as soon as possible. I'm not sure I understand what you mean? What is manual verification? The letter they gave me at the SSA said it would take 4 weeks, but I guess thats just an estimation. Is there anythign else I could do? What did you do when you called ahead? Is it possible for me to submit another application eventhough I already have one pending? I am scared I really need to be working, I can't play another waiting game.

brandonresume said:
12 weeks? Oh man I really hope it doesn't take that long. I need to be working as soon as possible. I'm not sure I understand what you mean? What is manual verification? The letter they gave me at the SSA said it would take 4 weeks, but I guess thats just an estimation. Is there anythign else I could do? What did you do when you called ahead? Is it possible for me to submit another application eventhough I already have one pending? I am scared I really need to be working, I can't play another waiting game.

In many cases, employers accept and employ people if you can prove that you have applied SSN. Therefore, i would advice to you to try to find a job with you receipt of pending application. Don't just sit wait untill the SSA comes through. Good luck!

Thanks, I will do that. I am applying to jobs right now and we'll see what happens. Is there anyone else who has had an experience like this? Is there anything else I can do to speed up getting my SSN? Would calling the SSA do any good? I just wish this wasn't so complicated, I hate waiting.

I went and applied for the SSN# and yea gave me a note saying it will take upto 10 weeks. Depending will mail me the card or send me a rejection note....I can't wait 10 weeks... i had an interview and they would like to do a background check and they want a ssn#. They said they need it...now what do i do???grrr

I just noticed that my EAD LUD was updated on 02/19/2006 which is weird because I was approved on 02/10/2006 and I already have my EAD card. I wonder if this has anything to do with them sending my info to Social Security? I wish I knew something, because I hate the thought of waiting if there is something I could actually do. Its been 8 days now since I applied for Social Security when they told me they didn't have my info in their computer system and gave me a letter saying they had to verify my records with the appropriate agency. Says it will take about 4 weeks. This is crazy, I am searching for work now, but I would feel much better if I had my SSN.

You know something.. my EAD was approved FEB 8 but somehow I got an LUD for 2/21/06 .. I do know it got nothing to do with my SSN since I got it back in 2/17/06 .. ahh I dont get it but oh well-- by the way, I got interview letter!! :)

But I am still looking for a job, it's difficult I thought it was going to be easy. :(

I applied for my SSN a week or so ago..and i also got a LUD on feb 21. I hope its related to my SSN...

It has only been 10 days, but I decided to go to the SSA again to see if maybe they had any information about my SSN. I showed them the letter they gave me, they said they have no information that there is nothing I can do except to wait. So I guess I am stuck waiting at least 4 weeks until I get something in the mail which I hope will be my Social Security Card, otherwise they said they will send a rejection notice explaining why I they couldn't issue my card. I hate waiting, but I guess I am not the only one. Anyone been through this before, how long did it take to get your SSN card? Does this happen to everyone applying for SSN after receiving their EAD?

I guess so.

My wife applied for SSN 2 months ago and we are still waiting (see my other thread).

The lady at SSN office told her that they are waiting for some verification docs from INS (I think she meant USCIS). God knows when will this verification end.

brandonresume said:
It has only been 10 days, but I decided to go to the SSA again to see if maybe they had any information about my SSN. I showed them the letter they gave me, they said they have no information that there is nothing I can do except to wait. So I guess I am stuck waiting at least 4 weeks until I get something in the mail which I hope will be my Social Security Card, otherwise they said they will send a rejection notice explaining why I they couldn't issue my card. I hate waiting, but I guess I am not the only one. Anyone been through this before, how long did it take to get your SSN card? Does this happen to everyone applying for SSN after receiving their EAD?

Good news, I just got a letter in the mail today from my local SSA office saying that I will have my social security card within 2 weeks. So I guess that means I am approved and don't need to worry anymore. It was dated February 23rd, so in 10 days I guess they verified my records with USCIS. I will update again when I get my card in the mail.

I got my SSN Card in the mail today!!!!! Finally I have no more obstacles, I just gotta find a job now. Thanks again to everyone on this site.

can I apply SS# from another state?

I just received my EAD card this afternoon and I know the next step is to apply for SS# but the problem is I will be leaving tomorrow morning to CA where I will be working. My employer is really in a hurry to get me started. Can I just apply for SS# in CA eventhough my permanent resident address is here in NV? I know SS will have to verify my records from USCIS but will it cause any problem if my record is here in Las Vegas and I apply for SS# in CA?

Thanks much...

I would just ask and see what they say at the office. How long will you be in CA for? One thing to keep in mind, it can take about 2 weeks to verify the info. But I know people who have just waited a week after receiving their EAD and they were in the system then so there was no manual verification and they received their card in a few days. But it is all about timing.

my husband and our baby will be staying here in Las Vegas until I get full-time with this job (in about 3 months)... I will temporarily stay with a friend's apartment... and since I will just take the bus back and forth (CA-NV), I will be going home once or twice a month. So in about 3months my permanent resident address is still here in Vegas.

I don't think it matters where you apply for your SSN. Trust me, it takes a few weeks just to get the card so I would apply ASAP If I were you. Thats what I did, and it still took over two weeks to be approved since they have to verify your documents with USCIS. Do it as fast as you can.

If I were you, I woud call SSA first before going. Once they tell you OK you're in the system, then go. In the meanwhile don't. You see, if you are in the system (named SAVE) you will have your SSN within 7 days :)

IRACHKA

honeyc74 said:
I just received my EAD card this afternoon and I know the next step is to apply for SS# but the problem is I will be leaving tomorrow morning to CA where I will be working. My employer is really in a hurry to get me started. Can I just apply for SS# in CA eventhough my permanent resident address is here in NV? I know SS will have to verify my records from USCIS but will it cause any problem if my record is here in Las Vegas and I apply for SS# in CA?

Thanks much...