Social Security Withholding / FICA and Citizenship Application

RR2657

Hello out there,

So my question is a little complex (or at least I think so).

After completing my undergraduate studies in 5/1999 I joined my prior employer (hereafter referred to as "Employer 1") under OPT. I promptly received my H-1B visa a few months later in 11/1999 and continued working at Employer 1 until 7/2006. Note that I received my green card in the interim period, in 7/2005. Anyway, I left Employer 1 and joined my current employer ("Employer 2") in 7/2006.

So here's the complicated part: apparently neither Employer 1 or 2 have been taking out FICA from my paychecks - since 1999! I was informed by a tax consultant (at H&R Block) that my 2008 W2 didn't have any deductions for FICA, so I immediately checked all prior W2 forms, and, sure enough, I have never paid this tax (yes, I am an idiot and didn't realize that FICA is something that most of us MUST pay - go figure).

I immediately contacted the Payroll Department of my current employer to address this (I obviously don't want to upset my current employer) and they are making the necessary adjustments (back to my start date with them in 2006)

My questions then, are as follows:

1) How do I handle the 1999 - 2006 period (during which I worked for Employer 1)? I have heard that it is the responsibility of the EMPLOYER to deduct FICA, rather than the Employee. Obviously Employer 1 registered me as working under OPT (as part of my F1 visa), so in their minds, I would be exempt from FICA (I've HEARD that OPT holders don't pay FICA, but I'm not sure). However, given that Employer 1 also handled my H1B process themselves (ie, they hired the lawyers, processed my passport and so on), shouldn't THEY have adjusted my status for payroll purposes once they knew I received the H1 visa? Heck, THEY took my passport for processing and, miraculously, it was returned to me with an H1 visa stamp (so I assumed everything was handled correctly).

2) Is it likely that I will have to pay my share of the entire 1999 - 2006 period? If so, will I have to pay heavy penalties and interest on the amounts owed? This could obviously be a very significant amount of money.

I should note that I have diligently filed my taxes on time every year. The fact that H&R Block missed the lack of FICA taxes EVERY YEAR is also something that I need to follow up on.

Bottom line, I want to do the right thing and stay "legal". I also plan on applying for citizenship next year, and don't want to give the immigration people any excuse to further scrutinize my application. I am sure the immigration folks wouldn't be too pleased if I have never paid FICA. Could they raise an issue because of this?

Apologies for the long post - any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

If you sort this out before you apply for citizenship, you'll be OK for naturalization. Even if you owe money to the government, you can still get approved if you have worked out a payment plan and prove that you've been making the payments as promised.

If you received the money that should have been withheld as your portion of FICA payments, you'll definitely have to pay the back taxes even though it was the employer's responsibility to withhold it (the employer may get fined in addition to whatever penalty you would pay). But if the employer reduced your paycheck by the FICA amounts and kept the money for themselves, they would have to pay those amounts to the government, not you.

Anyway, this is not a tax forum. You need to get a tax lawyer and/or tax accountant (not an H&R block amateur!) to help you work through the numbers and help you negotiate something with the authorities to minimize the penalties and work out a good payment plan. Obviously you can't resolve this complex situation before April 15; so first take care of your regular income tax for this April 15, then after April more accountants and tax attorneys will be available to help you with this problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
what is the status ...

RR2657,
What is the outcome? Did you consult any CPA regarding this issue? If so, what did the CPA say? Please do update .... its an interesting issue and I would like to know the result.
Thanks!