Social security taxes

babumoshai

Registered Users (C)
Hello everyone:
Nowadays a lot of people are wondering about returning back to their home country after working here for duration of H1 visa, which is 6 years. Some people because they fail to get green card, others because of other personal reasons. I wanted to start a thread for people who want to go back and want to get their social security taxes money back which they paid for the last x years they were here. What are peoples thoughts? What can we do to get that money back. Please post your thoughts on this matter here. The deductions are about 6.5% of salary, so its a substantial amount of money if you have worked for even a year on H1. If you have worked for six or more years on H1, then its surely a lot of money, specially if you convert it to rupees. I had called the IRS to ask about this and they said that they cannot do anything in this. Specially India doesnt have a treaty where they can put all the money in the provident fund in India. Some European countries do have a treaty. I strongly think that people who care about this should do something about this.
If there is lot of interest all of us could do something about this.
Please support this cause and write back.
Thanks

To Claim Social Security ...

Hello babumoshai

Your cause is good - and I understand your concern - I am also in the same boat and I was desprate on this matter some time ago ....

I read on the Economic times website about NASSCOM trying to do something about this a few months back. No updates on that side (I dont have the news URL too).

But the rule says to apply/claim for S.Security u need 4 credits - that working for 10 full years - I guess H1b guys are handicapped on that side.

- msd_gc.

i heard from my accountant if u are leaving the country u can claim for ss taxes and they would refund u

xahid said:
i heard from my accountant if u are leaving the country u can claim for ss taxes and they would refund u
I don't think it is possible. :rolleyes:

babumoshai said:
Hello everyone:
Nowadays a lot of people are wondering about returning back to their home country after working here for duration of H1 visa, which is 6 years. Some people because they fail to get green card, others because of other personal reasons. I wanted to start a thread for people who want to go back and want to get their social security taxes money back which they paid for the last x years they were here. What are peoples thoughts? What can we do to get that money back. Please post your thoughts on this matter here. The deductions are about 6.5% of salary, so its a substantial amount of money if you have worked for even a year on H1. If you have worked for six or more years on H1, then its surely a lot of money, specially if you convert it to rupees. I had called the IRS to ask about this and they said that they cannot do anything in this. Specially India doesnt have a treaty where they can put all the money in the provident fund in India. Some European countries do have a treaty. I strongly think that people who care about this should do something about this.
If there is lot of interest all of us could do something about this.
Please support this cause and write back.
Thanks
Let us lobby congress into enacting a new internal revenue legislation. :rolleyes: :D