Social Security Number

leroythelion

Registered Users (C)
Heads up!

About 3 weeks ago, my wife and son applied for SSN's (after CP POE) and I applied to have mine updated. We have not received the cards as of today. I called the local SSA office this morning and they told me that all information provided to them for SSN applications for both Citizens and non-Citizens will have to be verified before a number is issued. This will take anywhere from 3-12 weeks for *everyone*.

There is an update on the SSA page that describes what is being done...www.ssa.gov.

Brian

Not sure

Not sure when the new rule took effect. I applied during the last week of June and got the SSN cards within a week...

How many months after stamping did you apply for a new/replacement SSN? It takes some time for the INS
to update their records. Hence if you go to SSA
right after stamping, the SSA can not verify with INS
so that it may delay your application.

Re: Not sure

Originally posted by swsrus
Not sure when the new rule took effect. I applied during the last week of June and got the SSN cards within a week...

New rule came into effect July 1.

Brian

Originally posted by AmericanWannabe
How many months after stamping did you apply for a new/replacement SSN? It takes some time for the INS
to update their records. Hence if you go to SSA
right after stamping, the SSA can not verify with INS
so that it may delay your application.

We came in May 11. In a normal world, this should be plenty of time.

Brian

got replacement SSN card within a week

Applied for a replacement SSN card to remove the INS restriction for work authorization. I got it in 1 week.