Social security number after EAD

Hello. I was wondering if anyone has faced this problem recently.

My wife and I both have received our EAD after filing 485. And she just got a job offer. Since she was on H4 before, she didnt have SSN. As soon as she received EAD, we applied for her SSN at the Atlanta SSN office. But to my surprise, they said it will take 3 THREE months for her to recieve the social security number. Its been 2.5 months already! Still nothing. When we called the 800 number at the SS office different times, we have received varied responses from people who answered the phone regarding why its taking so long for my wife to get a social security number. Some are saying it shouldn\'t take this long, she should\'ve received it already, some saying she should wait three months and then go back to the Atlanta office to see what happened!??! This is ridiculous! The Social security office people said her documents need to be checked to be valid by INS! And since Texas INS is moving in a snail\'s pace, it WILL take ATLEAST 3 month! It doesnt make any sense. My wife got the EAD from INS!!! Isn\'t that enough to verify her validity of stay? And now that she has the job offer, she can\'t even take it up since she doesn\'t have a social security number? How messed up can these government offices be? It is so frustrating.
I just wanted to know if anyone else is experiencing the same situation or are we just being given a run around for nothing?

I apologise for the non-contexual posting but didnt know who else to ask. Please help! Regards.

its weird

mine was a similar case.
but my wife got her SSN in 5 days.
keep calling them. I don\'t think there is any problem.

call them

My wife applied her ssn on last month. She receive it exactly in a month.You better call them and ask the ssn no in phone.You don\'t have to wait till you get the card.Your wife can work immed if you know the numb..Call and tell them taht eveyone is getting in one month.All the best.

SSA and INS

My wife applied to the SSN 2 weeks ago.

Here is how it works (at least here, in Dallas):
1. SSA office takes your application and confirmation document (EAD)

2. SSA has a computer system interfacing INS database. SSA officer put your A# into the system and verify that A# is valid with INS.

3. Very often, and I repeat VERY OFTEN, INS has your previous status in the computer (H4/L2). In this case SSA has to take a copy of your EAD and DL and mail them to INS for verification.

4. If INS database was updated and your status showed up correctly, it will take 1 day to issue your SSN and 2-3 day to get it in the mail.

5. If INS has obsolete data, it should take 4-6 weeks for the whole thing.

NOW: IF AFTER A FEW WEEKS, IN MY CASE IT IS 4 WEEKS, INS DOES NOT REPLY, SSA OFFICE HAS A TEL NUMBER TO CALL TO INS DO A FOLLOW UP ON THE REQUEST.

In my case, because we need ssn urgenlty, I asked SSA officer to do this request after 2 weeks. SSA also says tha SSA and INS are two different federal entities and it is hard to push INS from SSA side, except through this call.

If you are waiting for more that 4 weeks, I recommend to ask SSA to make a follow up call. I would not try to shake EAD in the face of SSA officer or manager as a proof of status. They have a routine, established by congress, and they will send your documents in a paper mail for verification.

Myp3uk

So you recommend we wait a little while to apply for SSN?

My wife just got her EAD. We are not in a rush to use the SSN. Should we wait until INS updates the information? How long does it usually take them to update?

Do not wait for INS to update information

My wife had EAD for almost a year.
Information was still not updated.
It was not updated even when she had received her 2-nd EAD.

I assume they update it when you reenter US with AP. But I am just guessing.

Go to SSA and apply for SSN. Even if INS does not respond to SSA via paper mail in a timley fasion, but updates database, SSA will be able to run new SSN next day without waiting for INS. Thus, you get SSN in whatever time period is shorter. There is a possibility, that INS will reply to the mail, but will not update database. SSA will still ussue new SSN.

Myp3uk.

To Deshipublic

I applied on march 4, 2002 and still waiting. I know from other persons how they solved this problem (they are in another immigration forum): Sending a letter to the INS office who issued your EAD and explaining the problem. They should update your EAD in the INS data base and send the information to your SSA local office.

I\'ll send this letter next week.

SSN Problem

Hi Dear,

I been facing the same problem since 3 months. I have applied my wife SSN on Jan.10th and until today (4/8) I haven\'t received SSN.

We have to do something for this problem.

BM13