Social Security Card

Tundra123

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I remember a friend of mine saying that he has to go to Social Security Office to remove a clause on his SS Card after he gets his GC.

Can anyone explain me this? I recently got my GC.

Thanks in advance

Tundra123 said:
Hi,

I remember a friend of mine saying that he has to go to Social Security Office to remove a clause on his SS Card after he gets his GC.

Can anyone explain me this? I recently got my GC.

Thanks in advance
Hello Tundra123,

If you were on H1B, your SSN card will have a comment "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH INS AUTHORIZATION." . Since your are a GC holder they will send you a card which doesnt have this comment, the SSN number will be the same. You have to fill out the application available at the SSA office, I recently got my new SSN card with no restrictions on it. Hope this helps....

Ravi.

RAVICHAND1 said:
Hello Tundra123,

If you were on H1B, your SSN card will have a comment "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH INS AUTHORIZATION." . Since your are a GC holder they will send you a card which doesnt have this comment, the SSN number will be the same. You have to fill out the application available at the SSA office, I recently got my new SSN card with no restrictions on it. Hope this helps....

Ravi.

If I don't change it, will that give me trouble in future? I was not thinking to change it.

SJOrl said:
If I don't change it, will that give me trouble in future? I was not thinking to change it.

Probably not, but you never know.

What you don't want to have happen is that SSA and DHS get their databases screwed up, and then five or six years down the line when you take a new job and have forgotten about all this nonsense SSA will respond to an employer verification with "this person's non-immigrant visa expired several years ago", the employer freaks and withdraws the job.

SJOrl said:

The only trouble I can think up no is

(1) If you lose your physical green card but you need to establish
your work eligibility with a new employer, you can not do it
if your SSN card has that kind of legend

(2) If there are some SS benefits only for permanent residents
and citizens, you will have trouble getting it because by SSA
records, you are still a nonimmigrants.

Form SS-5

Where in this form do u specify that you want ""VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH INS AUTHORIZATION." . " removed from your card..

Just go to your local SSA office and tell them what you want to do, show them your old card and your green card. They'll give you a form to fill out. I was in and out in under 5 minutes and I received my new unrestricted card in a week.

Does one need to get a new card or rather inform SSA after getting US c itizenship as well? Are there any additional benefits (death, disability etc) if one is a US citizen as opposed to LPR?