Social Security Card

std

Registered Users (C)
When I came in the US on H1-B visa, my SS card was issued with a "Valid for work only with INS authorisation only" text mesasge on it.
Now, I have my I-765 (Employment Authorisation Document) approved and it has no restrictions and my I-485 pendind for about 8 months.
Do you know if I could apply for a SS card without this text now or I should wait until I-485 is approved?

My Card says not for Employment

Way back in 1994 they used to give SS cards for busines travellers & visitors also. They used to have NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT typed on it.
Later when I got my employment authorization, I got job showing the same card. I don\'t think it has any significance as far asemployment is concerned. You should have some work visa or EAD to work. SS card is only useful for your W-2.

SS CARD

You just need to walk into any SS office to find out about this. But I think even if you get a green card, social security card they issue will be having the text. Only for citizens that will not be there. H1B visa, EAD, Green Card, etc. are few INS authorizations to work. Green card is a permanent authorization whereas others are temporary.