Social security benefit

Hidimba

Registered Users (C)
I am a GC holder since 2000. I am thinking of going back to India next year. I know I will loose my GC if I don't follow the guideline.
But if I loose GC am I going to loose my eligibilty for Social security benifit also? I paid SS tax for last yrs. So I need to know this particular topic very well before I make decesion about going next year.

How do I find out the details about social security benefit for non-resident alien?

SS benefits are not tied to one's immigration status. If you have contributed SS taxes for 10 years you are then eligible to get benefits after retirement. If you have not paid SS taxes for 10 years, you get nothing.
SS benefits will also get hit with a 25% tax withholding if your tax status is non resident alien(which will be so in your case).

I could be wrong but as far as my knowledge on this subject:

SS benefits is NOT directly based on the number of years you file the taxes (though, indirectly in a way it is) but is based on 'point system'. Every year you get few points, based SS tax you pay (determined by your taxes). You are eligible to get SS benefits when you have accumulated 40 points.

You should get a report every year from SS Administration 3 months before your birthday.

Have you checked www.ssa.gov? As far as I remember, ss benefits were given to US citizens and GC holders. I do not remember whether they pay if you no longer are a resident alien. Please check the benefits section in the web site for answers.

Hi Joe,

Thanks for refined url. I was not very sure, but knew the web site that answered the question, and was just guiding.

I used to frequent this forum a lot when I applied for my citizenship and always appreciated your help. Now I am back and see you again helping. Good job bud.
:)