Social Security Benefit for parents with GC

cheerscheers

Hi,

I am an US citizen and my mom got her GC last year. She never worked in the US and is living with me without income. I am just wondering if she can receive any kind of SS benefits? If she can get anything such as cash, food stamp?

thank you so much for your inputs.

A person has to work 10 years to get SS benefits, she can claim welfare benefits but the person that provided the Affidavit of support for her will have to pay for those until she becomes a US citizen.

SS is an EARNED benefit. At some point - if she lives alone - she may qualify for SSI and food stamps. Living with someone else requires that their income be counted towards calculation of means tested benefits. The assets and income from her home country should be supporting her; it must be reported for means tested benefits. If she is so poor that she needs SSI, she needs to go back to her home country because she will be living in substandard housing, in dangerous areas and nearly starving.

OP, if you did not intend to abide by your affidavit of support for her, you should have left her in her home. The working US taxpayers should not have to support people who have done nothing for the US but move here because their child wanted them to do so.

If she is younger than 75 or so she can GET A JOB and WORK just like millions of elderly USCs and LPRs. In all likelihood, she is younger than many of the workers you expect to support her. Many elderly work as house cleaners, yard workers, Wal-Mart greeters; her not qualifying for an easy job is not our problem. Cleaning toilets is honorable work if she has no other way to earn the money she needs; if she is not willing to do so, it says a lot about here feeling entitled and being lazy. Since she wanted to live in the US, let her get to working just like we do here rather than sit in your home while both of you expect us to support her.

Your posting is justification for the elimination of immigration for parents of USCs.

;)..heheh did i told you americans are very compasionate people???..hihihi

my coment is this ..and it goes to concerned4us...I hope and pray to god that one day you will get so sick that you will be unable to get up form your bed ..and nobody will be around to help you ....so you will drown in your own s...t

you are one sorry exuse for a human beign and you should be flushed down the toilet

No, he's not! He makes a point that some people immigrate to the US and now expect other people to support them. It is cheating the system to your own benefit. I was doing cleaning job while attending university to support myself and have a bit of an extra. I did not find it degrading nor anybody treated me bad way doing an extra job from 5:00 - 9:00 every morning 365 a year. His point is that as long as he is able to work and not disabled he can find a job to support his/her needs, get insurance etc. instead of trying to tap into SS payed by OTHER people and what he/she is not entitled to.

OP and his sponsored parents are the reason many native born USCs are opposed to "chain migration" and want it eliminated. OP knew the rules when he sponsored and now wants out of his obligation.

ANZAC, My compassion goes out the door when someone who has never contributed one iota of work or taxes expects to come to the US and live off of the hard work of me, my spouse, and our children - and others like myself. Many of these lazy individuals are younger than I am and expect to be supported by our work.

You need to be more respectful of the people like myself and my forefathers who made this country one you wanted to move to. Language like yours is disgusting and not appropriate on this forum. Immigrants like you are not wanted or needed.