SKIL Act House Companion Bill, H.R. 5744, Introduced in the House

Hard to predict about the fortune of this bill. Wait and see whats gonna happen.

Good Luck.

SKIL house bill.

Let's wait for the full version of the Hourse bill to be posted.

From the brief version available at OH's website, it appears (at face value) to be similar to the Senate version for the "employment based" immigrants.

This gives me a lot more hope than the house bill HR4437 which completely ignored the employment based immigrants plight!!

Any Progress

Has there been any progress or likelyhood as to how soon this bill would be passed/approved.

Thanks

personally I would rather pray the agency will be working on a higher effiency than those bills to be passed. Or maybe the agency will produce new better designed procedure.

nonogc said:
personally I would rather pray the agency will be working on a higher effiency than those bills to be passed. Or maybe the agency will produce new better designed procedure.
What will this efficient agency do if there're no visa numbers?

See the predictions about skil bill or other bills from immigration-law.com. I dont see any hope regarding the immigration bill.

The full House and the full Senate remain in the Summer break and are not scheduled to return to the Hill until September 5, 2006. There will be no legislative bills to pass Congress during the period. However, some Committees and Subcommittees assignments are in full swing, particularly the border security hearings in various locations. In September, the House and Senate floors will have very tight schedules with a limited agenda before they will go out of session again in October for the election campaign in the local communities.
Because of the Congressional schedules and the hopeless divided GOP on the immigration issues, there is a slim chance that any immigration bill will pass the Congress before the midterm national election in November 2006. There was a report that the Bush White House had informally admitted that no comprehensive immigration reform bill would be enacted before the election.
Immigrant community may as well sit back and relax and learn to leave, for a whle, with whatever they see in the current law books.

gravitation said:
What will this efficient agency do if there're no visa numbers?

They can get the people from the country with number or under catagory with number out of line faster then we might be able to see the pics. better or get some number from them. Even they makes the system better, although we won't benefit, the people coming behind us will be benefit. See perm helps lots of people. But for my personal case, you are right, those have nothing to do with me. However I love to see happy faces around me.. :D

From a post on immigration voice

http://www.ilw.com/articles/2006,0807-weigel.shtm

There is some chance that many of the provisions of S. 2611 that provide relief for legal, skilled workers and their employers may become law independently. Known as the "SKIL bill," S. 2691 and H.R. 5744 would make more temporary and permanent visas available for educated, skilled workers. If the SKIL bill becomes law, the undocumented workers or illegal immigrants (you choose your term) and their employers may be left with less support for their relief measures.

This could be critical because this interest bloc will not find much favor from Missouri's Senator Jim Talent and many Republicans in Congress. Even his challenger, Claire McCaskill, and the national Democratic party seem to have turned their backs on these people in an attempt to recreate Bill Clinton's 1996 re-election strategy of attempting to "out-Republican" the Republicans on the issue.

Senator Talent voted against S. 2611 in part because 4,000 e-mails, letters and calls were received by his office in opposition to an "amnesty....