single in tax return

Estrella77

Registered Users (C)
My friend got married last year. He didn't have a SSN at that moment, so his wife filed taxes (2005) as single. He got his SSN just a month ago, so I told him to amend his wife's return. Should they do it or ignore it? They have an interview in December and I am afraid that an officer would not be happy to see a single status on her return. What do you think?

They should do it if anyway possible. Being reported as single on a tax return can raise a red flag.

I've heard that it is possible to amend a tax return, and Glorya is right - they should do it.

BTW, I thought that you could still file jointly even without a SSN, because when you file, you can request the IRS to assign you an ITIN number, and you're fine and dandy that way. I remember reading about it on the IRS web site.

Jewel12 said:
I've heard that it is possible to amend a tax return, and Glorya is right - they should do it.

BTW, I thought that you could still file jointly even without a SSN, because when you file, you can request the IRS to assign you an ITIN number, and you're fine and dandy that way. I remember reading about it on the IRS web site.

I know they could do that, but his wife didn't know that he could get an ITIN, so she filed as single.