Here is my situation. I-485 of both myself and my wife transferred to
local ins office in Newark/Teterboro NJ. Probable reason is that my
wife was arrested/fingerprinted because of a misunderstanding with
a store in NJ. This happened after we applied for I-485,so we couldnt
mention it on the application. She went through the trial and the
judge fined $250 and thats it, there was nothing else. The charge was
\'Prohibited acts\' which is a misdemeanor. Other than this her records
are extremely clean.

We spoke with a couple of lawyers, all of them seem to think it ok.
By law it requires 2 instances of arrest/conviction for INS to reject
I-485 and also the probable sentence should be atleast 1 yr. Lawyers
say that we should say the truth and produce the disposition letter
from the court, when we are called for the interview.

If you know anyone who has been in a situation like this or similar,
please share with us.

thanks

Hi everybody ..
    My husband got GC approval letter on 30th May,and now i\'m on H4 & i\'ve to go to India for some emergency work,then what i\'ve do?? As still i didn\'t got my approval notice,did anyone faced the same situation,if any guide me please.
    my e-mail id is pratimamoligi@yahoo.com

To CBM

I donot know why the Pratima posted her question in this.

For CBM, did you try the option of expunging the records? Talk to a good attorney who can help in expunging the crimial records (removing the details about the misdemeanour from the Civii/criminal database).

Good luck. Sorry to hear this.

Best policy is to be upfront; when INS looks at criminal records they are basically after national t

When I think more of this, I don\'t think you really have any option other than being upfront about it. You would cause more harm if you hid it as not stating it is perjury. Be calm, courteous, don\'t make it out to be an issue and let their commonsense do the work.

Simple and Easy!

Your case is very simple and need not worry about it all. I have spoken to various lawyers and experts in this matter and if it is a first degree misdemeanou case and the sentence if convicted does not amount to more than an year, you have no reason to worry and morever it is not a crime of moral turpitude( spelled wrong). So, when you are at the interview take all the documents of the arrest and they just want to hear the explanation, thats all. So, sit back and relax. No need to worry at all. Just be honest and provide all the details.When you are done with your interview and stamping, please input your experience here, so it might help others.

send me an e-mail at m_khrushev@yahoo.com...

I agree 200% with Mike Cordozza - that\'s the path to be taken.

Do not worry at all - I have first hand experience and APPROVAL !!