SIN Number Question

mba_apper

Registered Users (C)
Does anyone know if you get a temporary SIN Number immediately on applying or do you have to wait for 4 weeks to get it in mail?

Also, if you need to open a bank account immediately on landing do you need to provide a SIN number?

Thanks

You have to wait for 3-4 weeks to get your SIN Number. They won't give temporary SIN.

Also, you no need to have SIN number when you open a Bank account. If you show them Passport, and Copy of your PR (landing document), that should be fine.

medishetty said:
Also, you no need to have SIN number when you open a Bank account. If you show them Passport, and Copy of your PR (landing document), that should be fine.

What bank would open bank account without SIN?

I just talked to ING and they said that they cannot open bank account without SIN. HSBC would open an account without asking SIN, but only to Canadian citizens abroad, who should have SIN in the first place. So what banks do open bank accounts without SIN?

On another note, ING would take US personal check, but would hold them 30 days to clear. Is it customary for Canadian banks to take US personal checks, or is it just ING? Would be nice if I could write myself a check from US bank and move money to Canada this way.

I would think most banks in Canada would honor US checks. In fact I dont see any reason why any bank would not allow an international check to be desposited other than the wait time needed to clear the check.

Scotia and Bank of america have partnership set up too.

In my case Royal Bank set up my account without SIN with the understanding being that the number will be provided to them within 2 months. I am sure most banks will have this type of arrangement - better to go through someone you know in Canada.
Also if you go to SIN office and let them know that you have a job waiting for you but employer wont hire you if you dont have SIN, then they will go out of their way and get you your SIN number immediately. This has worked for a couple of my friends who had a job before 4 weeks.