Signatures wrong on Card. I-90. Please advice ...

nebulous

Registered Users (C)
I received the plastic cards for me and my wife recently. My relief turned into disappointment when I realized that the signatures (and possibly fingerprints) are interchanged on my wife\'s and my card. The signatures are on the back of the card, miniaturized and printed on the film with all the other information.

My hunch is that when we went for stamping, the officer took our signatures and fingerprints on blank forms and I guess they got interchanged.

So, I went to the local (District) INS office (Salt Lake City) to re-apply for the Card using form I-90. To my surprise the lady officer at the INS office said that it is not a problem at all and that I should not have any problem travelling with the card. She also said that she talked to an airport INS officer and confirmed with him whether this is a problem, and it seems he said that this is not a problem, and that they dont check signatures at the airports.

She also mentioned that when she scanned the card she did not see the signature. I dont know if this means they have old scanners, or if it doesnt really show up at all.

Also, I dont know if she is saying this to avoid accepting the administrative error on their part, or if this really is true.

But I am visibly concerned since I have to travel in the beginning of next year. At this point I am not sure how to convince the local INS to accept my application for a new card, based on administrative error.

My questions are :

1. Is it really OK travel with the card that I have at this point.
            2. If not how can I convince the local INS to accept my application for I-90 based on administrative error.

I called the National Customer support, and an IIO talked to me about this. She suggested I go to an ASC (Application Support Center) and ask them to check the cards for validity. I will try going there tomorrow or next week.

Please advice.

Thank you for your concern and time.

Nebulous

I don\'t think so ...

There is a reason why they have put the following:

a. Fingerprint
b. Signature
c. Photo

in the microfilm. It\'s something that establishes your identity
and verifies that this is the person who he claims to be.

If you don\'t correct it now, even after noticing it, in the future
you may get into trouble for no fault of yours - you can then say
that "some IIO told me not to change it". But they may say, "do
you have anything in writing from the INS that says that this is not
an issue".

I suggest you correct this - you can still travel on the temporary
stamp. And moreover, you don\'t have to pay anything since it\'s
INS\'s fault.

Thank you

I think you are right. This card is going to establish our residency for at least ten years. So, better to correct it now than later.

I will go and try to convince them to accept my I-90.

Thanks once again for your advice.

Nebulous

No Title

If this happened to me, I would not rest either until it got fixed. Whatever the INS people say to you now it is nice but they can turn around and blame you later for not fixing it. Do not accept their excuses, have it fixed now! Good luck!