signature

$380!!! Whoa!!!
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Huracan may be right in saying they will replace free of cost if THEY MADE the mistake. If we lost it or made a mistake, then $380 down the drain :eek:

I'm still hoping it's really not $380 to replace the certificate.... that's almost
as much as what I paid for the N-400 application fee!(the old fee)

Maybe I'll ask them for a free replacement... for example, what if the glue
they used to affix my photo to the certificate wasn't strong enough and my
photo fell off in a few weeks? :D :D :D:

Signature on the photo - Take a look:

Check this (someone posted this above):
http://picasaweb.google.com/denpv1/RosseMaryPeaveyUnitedStatesCitizenship/photo#5112025004988762082

Check how the signature is on the photo
on the left corner(left on the screen) vertically from bottom to top:

How is there "special white space" beyond her shoulder ONLY on one side of the shoulder? (look at how the picture is correctly cut on the other shoulder) Is this a real Natz Cert picture!?? Most of our photos will cut it at shoulder correctly on both sides. Funny!

I guess most of our photos are cropped like this:
http://www.orsonprattbrown.com/Romney/AnthonyMorelosBrown/TonyNaturalization11-43.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
How is there "special white space" beyond her shoulder ONLY on one side of the shoulder? (look at how the picture is correctly cut on the other shoulder) Is this a real Natz Cert picture!?? Most of our photos will cut it at shoulder correctly on both sides. Funny!

]

I'm not sure why the photo has a white border on one side, but it's definitely legit. My mom's naturalization certificate photo from the late 1990's is exactly like that as well.... :)

I was really surprised that the picture is glued to the certificate. I thought that the picture would have printed on the certificate.

I was really surprised that the picture is glued to the certificate. I thought that the picture would have printed on the certificate.

I have been wondering about the glue that the USCIS uses. Since the certificate is meant to last forever, I'm hoping the glue is strong enough to hold the photo in place forever as well? :)

ok one more time. i am still confused, let's just concentrate on signing the certificates as the photo part was done at the office.
'sign' is the nwrong choice of words then if i understand this correctly
so, do i (in cursive)
write
Jane Doe Smith (in cursive, with spaces in between)?

vlorak, you are correct, 'sign' is a wrong word choice. Really, you should be writing your name in cursive. That's it. Period.

I am amazed to see that people (not referring to you) keep on using the word 'sign' even in their explanations. That only serves to prolong the confusion. It's as if reading the N-400 form had a permanent effect on their vocabulary.

In the present context, 'sign' = bad/poor/lousy word choice. BAN the word 'sign' in the present context with immediate effect :)

USCIS should revise the form and say 'write your name in cursive' instead, to clear this confusion once and for all.

vlorak, you are correct, 'sign' is a wrong word choice. Really, you should be writing your name in cursive. That's it. Period.

I am amazed to see that people (not referring to you) keep on using the word 'sign' even in their explanations. That only serves to prolong the confusion. It's as if reading the N-400 form had a permanent effect on their vocabulary.

In the present context, 'sign' = bad/poor/lousy word choice. BAN the word 'sign' in the present context with immediate effect :)

USCIS should revise the form and say 'write your name in cursive' instead, to clear this confusion once and for all.

It should be just print your name.

Depends on what USCIS expects. 'Print' implies that the letters are disjoint, contrary to what cursive implies. It appears that USCIS expects cursive. Therefore, 'write' is what it should be.

Last edited by a moderator:
therealist

i wrote my name in cursive. husband said it does not match perfectly my signature on the photo. i say bull. let them refuse me my passport. i'll pay for the new certificate and start some legal thing based on the fact that USCIS does not explain this properly. considering i saw the reject someone their N400 because he applied 2 days earlier than supposed to,' then by God make sure you explain what you want us to do when signing stuff. when my IO handed me the photos to sign i kept asking her how, please show me how, and she didn't, she just said signature please here and here
as for that glue, geez, you'd think at least that photo should be stapled. it's supposed to last a lifetime.
oh well, i still woke up american today. :)
i can't let go of this site. i won't for a while. immigrationportal and google are on my menu bar :)

therealist
oh well, i still woke up american today. :)
i can't let go of this site. i won't for a while. immigrationportal and google are on my menu bar :)

I am addicted to the site too. Even though i have not been such a big poster i have always been here reading. I am still so excited about My new nationality. I can't wait for my passport. take care

Dear All,

I need some help on how to sign my Naturalization Certificate.

I finished my interview on June 11th and the IO asked me to PRINT my name on the pictures and handed me over a permanent marker. I asked the IO if I should sign the picture, and I was told that I should write my full name in Block CAPS.

Just wondering how I should sign my Naturalization Certificate when I go to my oath ceremony next month.

Appreciate your help.

Cheers!

srinivas
write your name on the certificate exactly as you did on the photos using black ink.
you're lucky, the IO gave you black ink. mine gave me blue and insisted i use that one even though i had my black ink. oh well.
i 'signed' my certificate trying to match the 'writing' on the photo. if you feel more comfortable, wait a few days, since i applied for passport on friday. wait until i get my passport. if i had no problems and my writing was accepted i'll elt you know and then you do the same.
pm by the end of next week, hopefully i have received my passport by then

You the problem is caused by the fact that a majority of Americans literally sign their names in cursive and use that as their "official" signatures. So to them when they ask you to "sign" your name they mean in cursive because that is what everyone does.

I mean - what is the point of printing your name or writing it in cursive on the certificate? If it is an official document shouldn't you be using your regular signature so it is more difficult to counterfeit? Copying a name in cursive is easy to do, but my signature is very hard to copy.

Like I said, someone who has no idea about signatures probably came up with this dumb rule. I personally would have instructed applicants to sign the certificate just like they signed the application and all other documents requiring signatures (e.g. checks, etc.). I'm glad my IO asked me to use my regular signature because to me that is more secure.

I'm glad my IO asked me to use my regular signature because to me that is more secure.

Hi Lolali,
So i guess from the above statement you signed your application and photo like you sign your bank checks, if this is correct, then did u sign your Naturalization Certificate to match the photo's, ie like you sign bank checks ??

Thanks in advance..

Ok, here is the summary from what I've read over many months in this forum:

People have done some variations. By far, the most "common" theme:
1. Sign your full first, middle and last name in cursive on photo
2. Do the same on Natz certificate.

Hi Lolali,
So i guess from the above statement you signed your application and photo like you sign your bank checks, if this is correct, then did u sign your Naturalization Certificate to match the photo's, ie like you sign bank checks ??

Thanks in advance..

Yes and yes. I was asked by the IO to sign with my regular signature on the photos. And then at the time of my ceremony, I asked the person in charge of the certificates (after the ceremony) how I should sign the certificate because I was confused by the whole "cursive" signature - and she told me to sign it like the photo since the two should match.

Bottom line is the signatures on the photo should match how you actually sign the certificate.

Yes and yes. I was asked by the IO to sign with my regular signature on the photos. And then at the time of my ceremony, I asked the person in charge of the certificates (after the ceremony) how I should sign the certificate because I was confused by the whole "cursive" signature - and she told me to sign it like the photo since the two should match.

Bottom line is the signatures on the photo should match how you actually sign the certificate.

Thanks Lolali, Makes me feel a little better.. i was worried that since i had signed my photo and application like i sign my checks, i would face some problems..

Also one last question, when did you get ur Citizenship process done, hopefully its not an intrusive question.
Thanks

In all this -
1. How do you sign when you apply for passport? The application for passport - I hear this should be like how you sign "normally" - scrawly as in Bank Checks etc.
This should not be the cursive full 'print' your name thingy, right?