signature

vlorak

Registered Users (C)
so, of course, this has been asked before but would like to verify.
the two photos for the naturalization certificate i was asked to print my name. i did PRINT my full name. when they handed the certificates they said wrong signing could cause passport to be denied.
how do i sign my certificate? anyone who has signed the certificate and esp. was asked to print their name on the photos, how did you deal with this problem?
thanks

PRINT on photo = sign your full first, middle, last names in CURSIVE writing.

I dont think PRINT on photo = write in bold letters without cursive...

When you "signed" your N-400 app, they ask you to "print" signature - I think same on the photo.

ok one more time. i am still confused, let's just concentrate on signing the certificates as the photo part was done at the office.
'sign' is the nwrong choice of words then if i understand this correctly
so, do i (in cursive)
write
Jane Doe Smith (in cursive, with spaces in between)?

What was explained to us, at the oath the other day.If you printed your name in the pictures infront of the IO, Then you must print your name on the Certificate too. They handed out an instruction sheet on this matter. However this is still so confusing.

looks like you guys are right. i just looked at what i exactly did on the photo and it is something that can be considered as cursive, although not very nice looking. so that's what I just did.they should write it on the board for people going through the oath ceremony so they explain better what they want. otherwise just saying you do it wrong and your certificate will be considered invalid does not help much

This is all unnecessarily complicated. Why can't they let people sign the way they sign the checks, passport etc etc

A signature is a signature, and name is printed on the Natz certificate anyway. God! All this is unnecessarily complicated by USCIS.

When i had to sign my application and photo's after the interview, the IO told me to sign it like i normally do, so i signed the application and the photo like i sign my bank checks, which is very short compared to my full name in cursive..
Hope this doesnt cause any problems. From the link provided by Huracan, i think this might cause a problem.. now i guess i would have to sign my certificate to match my application and photo, dont know if this would be an issue..
Experts please advise.
Thanks

Vlorak,

You did the right thing on the photo. You signed in full name no matter how bad it looks, but on your certificate, you should sign the full name that is matched to your signed photo. Look at the image of certifcate for example: http://picasaweb.google.com/denpv1/RosseMaryPeaveyUnitedStatesCitizenship/photo#5112025004988762082

or
For example, http://www.newcitizen.us/after.html).

After you sign the certificate, please make sure to photocopy and keep it somewhere to be safe. When you apply for US passport, the agent will ask for your original certificate, your driver license, and your ssn card. the agent will return your driver license and ssn card. but he will take your original certificate and your passport application in order to process. Your new passport will be mailed to you along with your original certificate.

Our oath ceremony packet contained an example of the sign -- it was the full name with expanded initial , written in cursive.Ex John James Smith - written as 3 words in cursive. Wonder why they make it so complicated becauase most people just scribble their names on bank checks and documents.

and where I come from the government banned teaching cursive writing because bold is more understandable, so from my generation we never took cursive writing......and it is actually very difficult to make it look the same over and over it....anyway, just a useless comment

i applied for passport. obviously signed the certificate. if there are any problems, at least now i am an american and can nag as much as i can/ i think the directives for signature as as blurry as they can get.

If the IO asked you to sign the pictures and application with your regular signature, then you need to sign the certificate in the same manner. This is what I was told and what I did, as the signature on the picture should match with what you sign on the certificate. I have since applied and received a passport - so obviously no problem.

I never sign my name in cursive and never intend to. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
That's exactly what I said in my rule of thumb above, sign the same way you signed the photos. For me the signature on the photo and the signature on the certificate should match.

Huracan:

Just to re-confirm:

1. Lets say name is John James Doe
2. On photo (during Interview): you sign in cursive John James Doe
3. However, NATZ Certificate printed your name as John Doe (missing James, either due to Typo or due to birthcertificate name, or whatever reason)
or real typo such as John Doie (typo) in Natz cert

4. Since you signed phot as John James Doe, do you sign the Natz Certificate as John James Doe still?, right?
5. Ignore the typo on natz certificate.

6. Can you get the TYPO corrected later!? for your records, get a new Natz cert???

Last edited by a moderator:
My head hurts ;)

I was assuming all the names matched, that was my case, the signature on the photo, the name on the certificate and my signature on the certificate all had the same number of names and spelling.

If the naturalization certificate has an error there are ways to ask USCIS to correct that after the ceremony, at least there was a way in my ceremony. There was a table where one could go to correct errors. Other than that I would still stick to the rule of thumb that signature should match signature on the photo, and if there is a typo on the certificate USCIS should (and I think will) make it right without cost to you.

Huracan:

Just to re-confirm:

1. Lets say name is John James Doe
2. On photo (during Interview): you sign in cursive John James Doe
3. However, NATZ Certificate printed your name as John Doe (missing James, either due to Typo or due to birthcertificate name, or whatever reason)
or real typo such as John Doie (typo) in Natz cert

4. Since you signed phot as John James Doe, you sign the Natz Certificate as John James Joe still.
5. Ignore the typo on natz certificate.

6. Can you get the TYPO corrected later!? for your records, get a new Natz cert???