Should We Wait In Us For Gc Or Move To Canada

texancanadian

Registered Users (C)
Folks,
A lot of us are in the situation where we have Canadian PR's but live and work in US on H1-B's with pending GC applications.
However many of us (especially Indians & Chinese) are facing the wrath of severe retrogression with no realistic relief in sight. My PD is August 2001 EB3 and GOD only knows how long it will take EB3 India to get to where I am (It is currently stuck at Jan 1998 since 2 months).
So one is struck with a dillema, wether to keep waiting for the mirage of GC or move to Canada where in 3 yrs you are nearly guaranteed Citizenship and then you can always move back.
Yes Canada is less prosperous than the US, no doubt about it. But is it worth moving for the stability and security v/s waiting in suspense and fear every time a visa bulletin comes out.
So question is when should one say enough is enough and take the plunge, pack the bags and move.
I would like to hear everyones thoughts on this issue.

A very hard decision to make

My PR probably expired.I am waitting for my LC with PD August 2003.
I have same question.What should we do? I keep applying for a job in Canada.But job market in Canada is not good.
texancanadian said:
Folks,
A lot of us are in the situation where we have Canadian PR's but live and work in US on H1-B's with pending GC applications.
However many of us (especially Indians & Chinese) are facing the wrath of severe retrogression with no realistic relief in sight. My PD is August 2001 EB3 and GOD only knows how long it will take EB3 India to get to where I am (It is currently stuck at Jan 1998 since 2 months).
So one is struck with a dillema, wether to keep waiting for the mirage of GC or move to Canada where in 3 yrs you are nearly guaranteed Citizenship and then you can always move back.
Yes Canada is less prosperous than the US, no doubt about it. But is it worth moving for the stability and security v/s waiting in suspense and fear every time a visa bulletin comes out.
So question is when should one say enough is enough and take the plunge, pack the bags and move.
I would like to hear everyones thoughts on this issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
?

I am not sure if this is related, but I'll ask anyway. Can we actually go to canada, for example vancouver, by flight, stay for short time, then go back to US by car, then do the opposite 2-3 years later, just to maintain required stay? i know sounds bad, but just wondering.

thanks

No you can not. You have to be physically present on Canadian soil for 2 yrs (730 days) out of every 5 yrs to maintain PR. There are some exceptions to this rule but few.
However you could work in US and live in Canada and go every day back and forth and keep residency.

Still in dilemma.

Hi
I got my PR in March 2005, after landing i return to US.
I am on EAD & AP with I-485 filing in 2003.
I have job in Detroit.
With the new process of GC, i do not have any hope that i will get GC in near future.

Can anyone tell me what is the procedure to work in detroit while maintaining the legal status of PR?
How can i commute daily from windsor to detroit?
Should i submit any paper work in order to commute daily?
How much tax i should pay for both govt (US and Canada) agencies?

Your help in this regard is highly appreciated.
Thanks.

To rsrmba

Hi rsrmba,

I am also in ur situation, did you get any answer abt tax and commuting? please share, my email id is mkaderoli @ yahoo.com.

Hi Rsrmba
Can you please tell me what happened with you when you came back with advance parole, what the US immigration officer asked you, what kind of documents asked you to see, did they stamped your passport and advance parole documents, how long the whole process took to clear you to enter the U.S.
Did you enter through the airport or land boarder?
Thank you.

Hi Deepika,
The immigration officer at the US border (I came back via Detroit Tunnel) did not ask anything in specific.
I shown him the AP papers and he stamped on the papers + in the passport. No questions asked. It took around 1 hour to clear the paper work at the border.
Feel free to post your questions.
Thanks.
rsrmba.

Stay in usa or move to Canada

To texancanadian and others alike.

USA or Canada. What a choice. Risky freedom, facing unknown or volunteer slavery with uncertain outcome. I have been perplexed by this dilemma for the past two years. At this point in time I am inclined to make a decision, but it is not a clear cut one. As many of you my wife and I came to US on F1, both got masters degrees from one of the famous Texas Universities, both adjusted status to H-1. While still at school, applied for Canadian PR, got blazing fast “Approved” in 12 months and here it all started. First of all for me, like for many of us, Canada has always been as second choice (aka insurance policy) with the ultimate goal of USA GC. Well, I was in a situation where Canadian PR was just around the corner, and Labor Certification process has not even started. We passed Canadian medicals and then wrote an argumentative letter to Buffalo folks, explaining why we had problem landing at that time. A lady called me from Buffalo, we had nice conversation and I bargained one year extension in exchange that I will have to submit new medicals, new FBI clearances and new financials. Boy, was I glad to get this extension. So I decided to follow these two strategic directions (USA GC and Canada PR):

1. Fueled by this opportunity, “my company” started Labor Certification process. Just about at the time of filing LC long waited PERM was enacted. Submitted LC, got yet another blazing fast “Approved” in 17 days. I just could not believe it. After hearing and knowing horror stories how LC takes from 4 to 5 years to get adjudicated I was like WOW. Unfortunately my joy did not last long. All familiar retrogression in EB-3 and estimated waiting time of about 4.5 years, (PD – 10/05) which immigration professionals estimate would easily stretch to 10 years or more in reality. Then filed I-140, got yet another blazing fast “Approved” in three weeks.

2. Continued my online research about Canada. I logged countless hours reading any and all available information about anything Canadian. While LC process was under way we passed second medicals and received second FBI clearances. Then in July 2005 we went on “reconnaissance mission” on a tourist visa. No H1-B stamp in a passport, just I-797 and I-94. Niagara Falls there, Port Huron/Sarnia back, with no problem. We drove from TX to Toronto and stayed there for a week. After first day of touring CN tower and other highlights, I did everything possible to find out how would it really feel to be a Canadian. I talked to at least 20 people from at least ten countries, carefully listening to their life stories, trying to find out what is life in Canada looks like. I drove around almost all Toronto neighborhoods, visited stores, houses, employment agencies and other places, which I would normally visit if I had moved. I was like K-9 unit, sneaking, sniffing, and asking questions about everything. I compared prices for food, clothing, housing and services in Toronto with my “gage” Dallas TX. It was not exactly apples to apples comparison, but that was the best I could do. Besides Dallas was my second best option, which I really want to be my fist best. Many places in Toronto were very much like in US which I liked, but there were plenty of places which looked exactly like in my own “India” (no offense to folks from India, we are all in the same boat), and I did not like it. I felt like am getting back to where I ran away from (third world scenario). Overall Toronto is great place, wonderful city, very liberal and cosmopolitan (nothing like TX). I would certainly live there, no questions asked. But it all boils down to “the JOB” issue.

Just about the time my I-140 got approved, Canadian folks sent us a “Grey Envelope”.
I am planning to land in the next few months and do just like many of you already have done (short trip there and back). I have been so obsessed with getting GCs that over time I became near expert in many USA/Canada immigration issues.

I have described my background on purpose so it will be clearer to you guys how my thought process has been formulated. It all depends on what you stand to gain and what you stand to loose and how valuable is for you what you stand to gain and what you stand to loose. If you are like me, love freedom and sick of H1-B shackles, Canada is certainly sounds very attractive. If you are like me, determined and driven by success (read money) and accomplishment with exploding entrepreneurial mind, the USA is the place to be. If the weather is the factor for you, I can share my personal experience. I have lived in third world European country with climate very similar to that of Canada. I have worked for eight years outside all year round and got every bone in my body frozen. After moving to TX, where summer is boiling hot, spring and fall are like moderate summer and winter is like cold summer, I loved it for the first 5 years and felt like am warming up. But after 5 years I feel grilled like a barbeque, and ready for some snow. While living in the USA I have developed some friends and acquaintances. These are the people I turn to in good or bad. As much as I love Canada, I have absolutely nobody there, and I hate starting from scratch yet again. Housing is another consideration. For those of you at least slightly familiar with TX, this is the place where your money can buy biggest house in North America. I have 2000 square feet house in TX. Half of that house in Toronto would cost me 3.5 times as much. Yes many of you, especially who live up north, will smile and say what about these bible belt conservative rednecks. Yes they are here, there are lots of them, but you get used to them just like to anything else and in while you don’t even pay attention. And now, most important “the JOB” issue. For those of you ready to climb the ladder again stating with the “small” steps like being security guard and alike, Canada will be the right choice. I have made so many “small” steps in my life, that I can’t even imagine in my worst nightmare my analytical, entrepreneurial mind to be brain-cuffed by security guard uniform or anything of that nature.

The decision that I am inclined to make for myself is: I will land and try to keep my Canadian PR “alive” for as long as I could, which I eventually loose. Meanwhile I will fight till fist blood for my status, prosperity and “American dream” in the country which makes deserving, tax paying guys like us, suffer so much, so unfairly. Another thought for you guys. During my life I have lived in and studied immigration regulations of many European countries including USA, GB, Canada and Australia. Despite this much hated “immigration grinder” the USA is still one of the friendliest countries in the world with plenty of opportunities.

I hope my thoughts will help your thoughts.

Follow ure heart

dukhi man (heart) mere sun mera kehna wayan nahi rehna jahan nahi chaina (peace of mind)....famous Kishore song.

Just follow your heart buddy. Don't live in the place where there is no peace of mind. You may not have as big house as in Dallas but if you will have peace of mind. I am sure with US experience you will get good job in Canada. People directly come to Canada from India and rise so much. We are much better off in terms of savings and skills. (no hard feeling for the folks directly coming from India)

I am also in the same boat as you and i am planning to move to Canada as soon as i get my PR.

Cheers

Dude,
All I can say is that its pretty pathetic to wait all month for 1 date of the visa bulletin. I am doing just that but its pathetic and sucks nevertheless. There is no guarentee that the dates will even continue to move forwards.

But like all humans it is easiest to remain in status quo. Unless circumstances force us we humans in gereal (and Inidians in particular) will not take any action.

My few cents .....

I am in the same boat. I will not let my Canadian PR expire waiting for US green card. We will move to Canada, get Citizenship and then weigh our options. We will either Stay put , come back to US or try Booming India. I can always come back to Canada if I dont like it in India.

Reasons why I want to do this -
1) Freedom.
2) Career - H1B / Green-card-wait does not allow me to switch jobs for careen growth.
3) My wife can also start working without the headache of status change / stamping etc.

I feel that with my US experience ( I am in IT - Java, J2EE etc), I should be able to find a decent job in Canada. People say that Canadian job market mirrors US job market, so if IT is currently hot in US, I hope its not too bad in Canada. Folks please comment on this.

srinivkk said:
My few cents .....

I am in the same boat. I will not let my Canadian PR expire waiting for US green card. We will move to Canada, get Citizenship and then weigh our options. We will either Stay put , come back to US or try Booming India. I can always come back to Canada if I dont like it in India.

Reasons why I want to do this -
1) Freedom.
2) Career - H1B / Green-card-wait does not allow me to switch jobs for careen growth.
3) My wife can also start working without the headache of status change / stamping etc.

I feel that with my US experience ( I am in IT - Java, J2EE etc), I should be able to find a decent job in Canada. People say that Canadian job market mirrors US job market, so if IT is currently hot in US, I hope its not too bad in Canada. Folks please comment on this.

not to discourage anyone....I came accross the mention of th efollowing cite...not sure how truly it represents the current canadian scene...would like to hear opinions on this & also if someone knows people in canada who are in IT & well settled & can throw some light on the current opportunites...:)

http://notcanada.com/

rgds.

None of the the guys mentioned in this site went with US experience and savings. They were all non IT. My uncle was Vetnarian and he worked as security gaurd initially but after clearing Canadian Licence exams he found a very good job. The situationed mentioned in this site can happen to people coming to US also. I know some guys who were Engineers in India and working in 711 in NJ.

I have asked this question before but......

Has anyone explored the idea or tried working for a US company from Canada remotely?
Most IT or computer related work can be accomplished using a high speed internet connection and secure VPN connections. This could either be as an employee of the US company or as an independent consultant.

I know that there are issues related to securing a Canadian job. Potentially a scheme like the above could work until the United States sorts out its immigration program.