Should I take IELTS?

vvdv2003

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I applied for PR in Feb 2005 and got my AOR in March 2005.Now I recently got a letter stating that my case has been transferred to LA.Should I take IELTS? I havent taken it still....Will it be asked in later stage?

Thanks.

I would suggest you to take the IELTS. When I started the application, I was told that based on my background (MS from US univ) I wouldn't be required to take IELTS.

However, the consulate asked for the IELTS scores. Another thing to bear in mind is that, it takes atleast one month to schedule the IELTS exam. So by taking it you wouldn't lose time later if the consulate asks for the score.

spce94mech.

Did Canadian consulate asked to take IELTS? Otherwise you don't have to go for IELTS. I just finished my landing process and I didn't go for IELTS.

Best of luck.

msukid

how many years of work exp after MS do you have? from what I have heard thats another factor too bcos u can document your English skills thro work reports, etc.
it varies frm person to person though.

spce94mech said:
I would suggest you to take the IELTS. When I started the application, I was told that based on my background (MS from US univ) I wouldn't be required to take IELTS.

However, the consulate asked for the IELTS scores. Another thing to bear in mind is that, it takes atleast one month to schedule the IELTS exam. So by taking it you wouldn't lose time later if the consulate asks for the score.

spce94mech.

Till now the consulate did not request me for the IELTS? But I wrote a letter when I submitted my application regarding my English Knowledge.
Will that be sufficient?

I didnt appear for IELTS. I kept a letter regarding my English Knowledge+Toefl scores+letter from my highschool stating that the medium of studies was in English ( 1st to 10th class). I applied in Feb 2005 and got my IA last week, asking me to go ahead with medicals...

good luck.

Thanks for ur reply.Even I attached a letter explaning my English knowledge in school,college and work.I applied on Feb 2005 and got my AOR on March 2005.....From which country did u apply from? Is ur application in LA or Buffalo?

Thanks & Good Luck.

Ielts

Thomas_Varghese said:
Applied from US to Buffalo.
According to the new IRPA proven proficiency in English carries 16 points.
So if you get 7 Band Score each for Reading, Listening,Writing and Speaking .. i in IELTS..you get 16 points. Four points per band.
I actually had to do IELTS twice.
One when the new IRPA came into effect in 2001 and once after my interview in Singapore because my scores had expired by then.
I would recommend strongly that you take the IELTS and send them the score sheet. I am glad to say that after the embassy received my scores from IELTS.. they wrote me a letter saying that I have now secured points exceeding that of what they require.
Others talk about writing strong letters in English and so on.. but if you check out www.cic.gc.ca , the facts are clearly mentioned.

Nijil.

Dear Applicants,

My relative applied for 'Canada Permanent Residence' from India in 2002. In India, he appeared for IELTS twice. But he got 4.5 and 5 bands.

Then, he moved to USA on H1b, and worked in IT field. He never appeared for IELTS in USA.

BUT, he submitted letter from his USA employer saying that, 'he works using English, he teaches in English, he attends meetings in English, he explains in English, he eats in English and he drinks in English and what not'. You know what I mean. One page of document provided by Employer. He never appeared for any TOEFL or not having any foreign degree. Bachelor degree of India only.

And it worked. That works. He got passport stamped in 2007. No interview held. Total time taken: 4.5 years.

Good Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a MS and PhD from the US, plus lots of teaching experience, in addition to 3+ years as a management consultant. I was still asked to take the IELTS. My suggestion would be to get it done.

I flew from Seattle to San Fran to take the test. I hated the idea of it, but it makes your application go very smoothly with no questions asked. Just go ahead and take it, it does not costs that much and it gives you a peace of mind.