Should I marry overseas or apply for Fiancée Visa? Why way is the best?

piyalove

Registered Users (C)
Should I marry overseas or apply for Fiancée Visa? Which way is the best?

I was married to a US Citizen six years, have my ten years GC. My wife applied for divorce last year, I gave her a mutually consented divorce. I have a daughter 5 years (equal custody). I will be getting my US Citizenship later this year.

Lately, my sister in law (ex-wife's younger sister, she's single, she was against her sister for my divorce from the beginning) and I started a relationship, long distance via phone and email.

We both want to get married. I will get my US citizenship in a couple of months time. I want to go to South America and get married to her, then bring her here to the USA.

My question is: Which is the best way for me to do? Should I go her country, get married and apply for her papers there in the US Embassy? or How is the process? Please advise, thank you.

PiyaLove

Last edited by a moderator:
The fiancée visa (K-1) would provide the faster route (faster than marrying her overseas) for her to move to the US.

It is faster for 2 reasons: (1) because it is filed before getting married, whereas the marriage route (I-130 + immigrant visa) can only be filed after getting married, and (2) because the processing time is faster.

However, the fiancée visa requires that you have met each other in person at some point in time within the last 2 years before you submit the application. Have you done that? If yes, you could file the I-129F for her right after you become a citizen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jackolantern: Thank you for your kind input. I did travel to her country last year in November 2011 and met her for a week/ten days. I have to wait for my USCship. How long does the K1 visa process takes? Please share your opinion, thank you. Regards, PiyaLove

4-6 months is a reasonable time frame for the K1 process. Of course, some people get lucky and theirs goes a bit faster, and some go slower.

Preserve some evidence that you travelled to her country in November (such as a boarding pass or passport stamp), as you'll need it for the K-1 process.

i Jackolantern: Thank you for your kind input. I did travel to her country last year in November 2011 my passport is stamped by immigration. Thanks. PiyaLove