Should I inform BCIS?

groundwater

Registered Users (C)
Status changed from F1 (not OPT) to H1 after filing I-485 (working for the same employer). Do I need to inform BCIS of this change? Thanks! :confused:

USCIS has changed your status. Now you are as H1B in their record.

But when you filed for I 485 you were supposed to Change your status from F1 to GC . Now it is H1 to GC.

Better consult your lawyer.

May be I am not getting it. Once you apply for I-485, you are in the process of adjusting to permanent residence. Why would you still have F-1 or convert to H-1, I am not sure. I can see H-1, if you do not feel safe with your job, but even then, I-485 itself has a lot more protection than H-1 after you have passed 180 days. So I am not sure what extra benifit you are getting from that.

But to answer your question, you should let BCIS know everything about your status. In fact they already know, they are as disorganized in this matters as any of the third world nation. They may even be worse, but the fact is, if they want they can find it easily. So why take chances. I don't see any harm in informing them unless you have something to hide.

I am not an attorney. This is my opinion based on past five years experience in forums like this and by still going through the process myself. So don't take this as legal advise. Ask your attorney if you need.

Some questions

When did you apply for H1? When did you apply I-485? If you have applied I-485 before applying H1 then technically you are not on H1. You need to go out of the country and get H1 stamped and come back. If your H1 was applied prior to I-485 you can say you are on H1. Any let us know the proper dates so one can decide.

Talk some attorney before taking any decision.