Should I file AC21 if I change Job in Same University but different Dept.

Blackie958

Registered Users (C)
Hello Guys,

I am working as a Research Associate at an University, which sponses my GC application (I140 was approved last year, I-485 was submitted on June, 2007). But my current boss is running out his research Grant, so I have to find another position in the next couple months:mad:. Now my questions are:

1) Should I wait for 6 months before I can change to another position, and should I file a AC21?
2) Is that OK to go to different department but within the same University? (Should I keep the same job title?)
3) Should I transfer the H1b visa or apply a new one? (My H1b is valid through 2009)
4) Since I am still going to work for the same sponsor but different department (there is only the University's name shown the approval, on LC, however, it did shown the department's name) is it necessary to notify USCIS about the job changing?

It will be highly appreciated that if you could input your thoughts or offer your experiences. Thanks. Hope everyone can get their freedom soon!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Guys,

I am working as a Research Associate at an University, which sponses my GC application (I140 was approved last year, I-485 was submitted on June, 2007). But my current boss is running out his research Grant, so I have to find another position in the next couple months:mad:. Now my questions are:

1) Should I wait for 6 months before I can change to another position, and should I file a AC21?
----------------one can join new employer if you are sure the I-140 will not be revoked before your pending I-485 hits 180 days. once I-485 hits 180 days you can file AC21
2) Is that OK to go to different department but within the same University? (Should I keep the same job title?)
----------------better same title and same/similar job duties
3) Should I transfer the H1b visa or apply a new one? (My H1b is valid through 2009)
---I think your H1 is filed by same university you are just changing the department I dont think you need new H1 better talk to your lawyer
4) Since I am still going to work for the same sponsor but different department (there is only the University's name shown the approval, on LC, however, it did shown the department's name) is it necessary to notify USCIS about the job changing?
-------------------I think your employer remains the same university
It will be highly appreciated that if you could input your thoughts or offer your experiences. Thanks. Hope everyone can get their freedom soon!

------------------------

Hello, ginnu, thank you very much for your quick and valuable advices. What will happen if the new position locates at different campus (same University)? Would that be regarded as re-location? Thanks.

Hello, ginnu, thank you very much for your quick and valuable advices. What will happen if the new position locates at different campus (same University)? Would that be regarded as re-location?
--------------I think it remain the same location
Thanks.

-----------