Should I bring this car or not?

khanazar

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

I am planning to go to work in Atlanta in next few months.
I have a Toyota Matrix (sorry fixed 2005 instead of 1995) model with 50000km on it.
I still owe 15000 to toyota canada. I was thinking to take it there.
I was told by someone that I should not do this because car with Canadian
plates is not safe in some states of US.
Any advice?
I also have another question about tax ?
If i work in USA as a consultant, I know my taxes will be deducted and I have to
file taxes in Canada as well. So can I claim my expenses while filing taxes?
expenses like rental, travel, etc.
Thanks in advance.

Azar:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you really sure you owe $15,000 on a 12-year-old car? Or is it a 2005 model? The first place to ask about taking the car to the US is Toyota Canada, since until you pay it off, they own it. Some finance companies balk at the idea of their cars being taken out of the country, because if the purchaser stops paying, the international border presents complications for repossession and/or lawsuits. Maybe Toyota won't mind, but you won't know till you ask them. You'll need a letter of compliance from them anyway in order to import the car to the US.

What do you mean when you say it might not be "safe" to have a car with Canadian plates? You'll be importing the car and getting Georgia plates within a few weeks, so I wouldn't worry about it. I had an Ontario-plated car in Texas for a few weeks, and I didn't feel unsafe. BTW, check the Georgia dept. of motor vehicles web site to find out what you'll have to do to get your car titled, registered and plated and insured there. The rules and timelines vary from state to state.

Right now I do not have enough money to pay it off and I believe import applies to cars you own, so I was thinking that may be I can drive on these Ontario plates and keep paying the monthly payment until I own it. I felt unsafe because I was told that people in US do not like Canadians much and if someone who had a bad day see the Canadian plates may do damage to car..

Canadian Vehicle while on TN

Ok this is my advice since I just returned my Canadian vehicle back to Canada.

Whoever told u it's not safe lied. If someone intends to mess with your car, they do not check the plates first i.e.out-of-state then steal; in-state then do not steal.

I came to Atlanta with my car (was still being financed), and crossed the Detroit border easily. Ask them to prepare vehicle import documents @ the border, or if just come to Atlanta, go to Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV). At DMV, when they realize u have out-of-country ownership (a.k.a title), they will require customs clearance. If you have it already, then produce it. If not, just go to the airport (port of entry), customs and tell them u need vehicle customs clearance. The customs officer will come out, look at your vehicle sticker (under the hood). If it says vehicle meets US & Canada specs, then u r good to go. Run back to DMV, present your document and u r done.

I went thru this early 2005, so feel free to contact me if you need help.

Another issue u may want to consider is that selling your canadian vehicle here in US is a pain, should you ever want to ditch it. There is another whole host of steps (which I went thru as recently as March 2007) to "export an american asset".

FYI, once u change the plates to GA plates (& GA title) it becomes a US Asset.

Ha! Ha! Ha!

Right now I do not have enough money to pay it off and I believe import applies to cars you own, so I was thinking that may be I can drive on these Ontario plates and keep paying the monthly payment until I own it. I felt unsafe because I was told that people in US do not like Canadians much and if someone who had a bad day see the Canadian plates may do damage to car..

"Right now I do not have enough money to pay it off..." ---- deja vu :cool:

"so I was thinking that may be I can drive on these Ontario plates and keep paying the monthly payment until I own it" --- drove mine for 3 months with ont plates ;) made payments till Dec 2005

"I felt unsafe because I was told that people in US do not like Canadians much and if someone who had a bad day see the Canadian plates may do damage to car" <==== Ha! Ha! Ha!.....whoever told u this must be real paranoid :D :D :D

Picture this...A lot of snowbirds drive from Canada to Florida every year so it does not matter

VERY IMPORTANT!!!
1- Open an RBC chequing account ASAP
2- Come to Atlanta, open RBC Centura account (subsidiary of RBC Canada)
3- Have both accounts in your online banking profile
4- change your car payment account to Canadian RBC account
5- every month before monthly payment, transfer money instantly to the Canadian account from US RBC Centura account to cover the payment and all other Canadian credit cards /loans you may have
6- Avoid charges for wire transfer charges :cool:
7- keeps your Canadian credit history intact

TNDV2008;1669362"I felt unsafe because I was told that people in US do not like Canadians much and if someone who had a bad day see the Canadian plates may do damage to car" <==== Ha! Ha! Ha!.....whoever told u this must be real paranoid :D :D :D Picture this...A lot of snowbirds drive from Canada to Florida every year so it does not matter [/QUOTE said:
Obviously you have not lived long enough or in different states in the US. US has a very high hate crime rate. I got my degree in the US and have worked and lived all over the States, from Louisiana to California. Man, in the south, they even hate the yankees from the Northern states. The commit hate crime on them, not to mention the hate crime committed on African Americans! In Arizona, where there are a lot of Canadian snowbirds, a guy at a bar started yelling at me once he found out I was Canadian. He was pissed why we did not go to Iraq although I kept mentioning we sent troops to Afghanistan. Eventually a bouncer kicked him out. In Vegas, at a blackjack table, a guy atarted yelling that he boos Canadian national anthem at hockey games and he hates Canadians. What are you talking about buddy?! You aint seen nothing yet! You must live in California or MA. I have witnessed tons of stories like the ones I told you above.

Anyway, the best thing to do is be cautious and try not to cross paths with these types of Americans. There are also a lot of Americans who respect us as a friendly neighbour.

Obviously you have not lived long enough or in different states in the US. ... I have witnessed tons of stories like the ones I told you above..

True, I have lived in Atlanta for 3 yrs now...but I dont go with a Canadian flag on my forehead, or a label on my front pocket.

I dont have to announce my "Canadian-ness" everywhere. I am here to make money, not sing Canadian national anthem :D :D :D

Anyway, the best thing to do is be cautious and try not to cross paths with these types of Americans. There are also a lot of Americans who respect us as a friendly neighbour.

True, as I said ... I arrive quietly, make my money, and leave:cool: :cool:

That being said, it's good to have a healthy dose of apprehension everytime u go somewhere new. I dont think Atlanta will be rough for him. Atlanta has become more multi-cultural, and therefore less likely issues of hate (not to say it cant happen)

If you have a canadian flag sticker on your car...remove it. Go into stealth-mode, make your money:cool: :cool: :cool: ....isnt it all we came into US for?????

True, I have lived in Atlanta for 3 yrs now...but I dont go with a Canadian flag on my forehead, or a label on my front pocket.

I dont have to announce my "Canadian-ness" everywhere. I am here to make money, not sing Canadian national anthem :D :D :D

The poor fellow is talking about an Ontario license plate and not a "Canadian flag" on his car! Besdies, don't we take pride in our nationality and our heritage? One of the first questions people ask in a casual converation is where you are from. What are we gonna tell'em?!!!! We can run but we can't hide our nationality!

True, as I said ... I arrive quietly, make my money, and leave:cool: :cool:

That being said, it's good to have a healthy dose of apprehension everytime u go somewhere new. I dont think Atlanta will be rough for him. Atlanta has become more multi-cultural, and therefore less likely issues of hate (not to say it cant happen)

If you have a canadian flag sticker on your car...remove it. Go into stealth-mode, make your money:cool: :cool: :cool: ....isnt it all we came into US for?????

Really! I agree but why are you interested in a "green card"? If your long-term plan is to leave the US after making money, there is TN and H-1B for that. You will lose your green card status if you leave the US for good anyway. So why bother getting a green card?!!! Lottery or employment-based, doesn't matter!

BTW, good for Atlanta! Austin and Dallas are also among the nice cities in the south that tolerate multi-culturalism.

Ok...Ok...Take a Breather...whew!!!

Really! I agree but why are you interested in a "green card"? .

ahhh the great philosphical question...WHY?...my response...WHY NOT?...:cool:

If your long-term plan is to leave the US after making money, there is TN and H-1B for that...

Your "longterm" must really be a short one. TN can be revoked anytime, H1B is only good for six years. GC...yours to keep :cool:

You will lose your green card status if you leave the US for good anyway. So why bother getting a green card?!!! Lottery or employment-based, doesn't matter!

There are ways around it, u dont loose it if you know what to do...:)

CanadianKam, I offered advice based on my experience since relocating to ATLANTA, which is where the original poster is coming to...

Why you feel it's necessary to bring up issues regarding greencard is irrelevant and does not add the solution being sought by the original poster.

Let's not meander into unnecessary, out of topic discussions, let's get back to helping khanazar figure out what to do...which by the way...isn't it why we came to this forum???

CanadianKam, I offered advice based on my experience since relocating to ATLANTA, which is where the original poster is coming to...

Why you feel it's necessary to bring up issues regarding greencard is irrelevant and does not add the solution being sought by the original poster.

Let's not meander into unnecessary, out of topic discussions, let's get back to helping khanazar figure out what to do...which by the way...isn't it why we came to this forum???

TNDV2008, you are the one who deviated first. You also exaggerated and changed the original poster's question and concern about an "Ontario license plate" and you changed into sticking a "Canadian flag" on one's car.

And BTW, you can always get a new 6 years of H1 after staying outside the US for 1 year after the previous H1.

Also, good luck with keeping your GC after leaving the US for more than 6 months in this post-9/11 era!!

Over and out!

TNDV2008, you are the one who deviated first. You also exaggerated and changed the original poster's question and concern about an "Ontario license plate" and you changed into sticking a "Canadian flag" on one's car.

And BTW, you can always get a new 6 years of H1 after staying outside the US for 1 year after the previous H1.

Also, good luck with keeping your GC after leaving the US for more than 6 months in this post-9/11 era!!

Over and out!

heeyyyy, I did not even get the last word...I am soo mad... :(

but, I am so happy u got that off your chest. WoooooHoooooo U win!!! Cheers!! :D

Last edited by a moderator: