Should I apply for the citizenship or reniew my green card?

Lizbrown

I got deported for overstaying in 2003, after that my fiance traveled a couple of times to my Country and We got married there in 2005. Right after our wedding we applied for the greencard at the consulate and it was denied, but they told us that I was eligible for the waive. To make a long story short, after that we applied for two waivers 212 and 601 and after 6 months I got approved for my conditional resident card in 2006 and I moved to the US to be with my husband. In 2009 I got my permanent resident card for 10 years. From the time that I got my first resident card until now it has been 12 years. My green card is expiring in 6 months. My question, Do you think I should reniew my green card first and then later apply for the citizenship or I should apply for the citizenship now? Will I have issues with my prior immigration violation before green card? Please, I need advice and I appreciated any feedback.

Any particular reason you didn't apply for n400 5 years ago?
Yes, I was getting all my papers together to aplply for my citizenship in 2014 and while I was doing the papers I got bad news about my mom health, she got cancer and she was very sick and I decided to go and stay the last 5 months of her life with her. After that I knew that I wasn’t eligible to apply right away when I came back. Than life goes and I just saw that my green card expiration date is April/2019. I have clean record, married for 13 years and we had 3 kids.

You do not have to renew the green card if you're eligible for and plan on applying for US citizenship. It's a waste of money, and is currently taking about a year for a green card to be produced. Apply for citizenship.

A month or so before green card expiration, make an Infopass appointment to get a I-551 stamp on the passport; the 1-yr stamp serves as proof of GC status.

You do not have to renew the green card if you're eligible for and plan on applying for US citizenship. It's a waste of money, and is currently taking about a year for a green card to be produced. Apply for citizenship.

A month or so before green card expiration, make an Infopass appointment to get a I-551 stamp on the passport; the 1-yr stamp serves as proof of GC status.
Thank you so much for your help!! I will definitely apply for citizenship ASAP. Thank you!!

She doesnt have too get the info pass.

If she applies for citizenship the day of the biometrics they will extend the GC for an Additional year.

She doesnt have too get the info pass.

If she applies for citizenship the day of the biometrics they will extend the GC for an Additional year.
Do you think I will have to pay for the I-551 stamp? because if I apply for my citizenship now my biometrics will be in November and by that time my green card will expiring in 5 months.

Do you think I will have to pay for the I-551 stamp? because if I apply for my citizenship now my biometrics will be in November and by that time my green card will expiring in 5 months.
No. You won't have to pay any extra money. Same GC will be extended with a sticker placed on the back. Just be sure to tell them the day of the biometrics. That your GC is expiring soon

No fee for the i551 stamp. But look early and often, Infopass appointments can be hard to get in certain locations.