Should I apply for EAD ? Currently on H1b

nielsen

Registered Users (C)
My wife is a USC and has applied for permanent residency for me. We had our AOS interview this week and we were told that they were awaiting "security clearance".

I am currently on H1b which is expiring in Dec 2006. I have not applied for EAD yet.

1. Should I apply for EAD or should I wait till next year when I am close to expiry of my H1b visa ?
2. How long does it take for EAD to get approved ?

Thanks for your help.

nielsen said:
My wife is a USC and has applied for permanent residency for me. We had our AOS interview this week and we were told that they were awaiting "security clearance".

I am currently on H1b which is expiring in Dec 2006. I have not applied for EAD yet.

1. Should I apply for EAD or should I wait till next year when I am close to expiry of my H1b visa ?

Thanks for your help.
EAD takes from 2-3 months to approve. I would say you should apply for one Aug-Sept 06. You can apply for it rightnow if you want to change the company & would like to work freely anywhere.

nielsen said:

Thats your call.
Hypothetically lets put it this way. If you apply for EAD now, you would get it by (lets say) oct-nov. If you still plan to continue working on your H1B till it expires, I see no reason to apply EAD as it would expire before your H1B expires and you would never get to use it. If this is the case, then you should apply for EAD like 3-4 months before your H1 expires.

If you wish to use your EAD to get employment freedom, then there is no reason to wait for it. You can apply for it right away and start working on EAD. You would lose your H1 status though.

Dec 2006 is a long way to go and you "might" get your GC well before that. Ill leave it to you to decide

You can look at zoomz00m's list to see the EAD approval times. There times range from 52-69 days.
http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=178929

Good Luck!

Thanks for your help.