Shoplifting incident and Citizenship application

Anjan Roy

Dear Friends,

I would like to submit the citizenship application for my wife (I am a U.S. citizen). However, there is a small complication with her case and I was wondering if you would help us resolve this issue. Here is the issue: in April 2003, she was arrested for the charge of "petit larceny" (class A misdemeanor). She pleaded guilty to the reduced charge of "disorderly conduct" (a violation) and was sentenced to a one year conditional discharge. Will this incident cause a problem with her citizenship application?

We were not sure how to answer questions 15-21 in Part D (Page 8) of the N-400 form. We would really appreciate if you could help us answer the questions properly.

Thanks very much for your help.
Sincerely,
A. Roy

Anjan Roy said:
Dear Friends,

I would like to submit the citizenship application for my wife (I am a U.S. citizen). However, there is a small complication with her case and I was wondering if you would help us resolve this issue. Here is the issue: in April 2003, she was arrested for the charge of "petit larceny" (class A misdemeanor). She pleaded guilty to the reduced charge of "disorderly conduct" (a violation) and was sentenced to a one year conditional discharge. Will this incident cause a problem with her citizenship application?

We were not sure how to answer questions 15-21 in Part D (Page 8) of the N-400 form. We would really appreciate if you could help us answer the questions properly.

Thanks very much for your help.
Sincerely,
A. Roy

you just have to answer the questions honestly.

has she ever been citied? yes
has she ever been arrested? yes
has she ever been convicted? yes

... etc etc

also, since it is only 2 yrs and 2 months since the incident happened, i am not sure it could prove her "good moral" at all. shoplifting shows her does not have a good moral standard.

per the guideline, people need to have good moral standard in order to be granted citizenship. may be she just needs to wait for another year or so and let time proves her good behavier.

My suggestion is to consult an attorney. If possible, try to find a local attorney for an opinion. It might be better in this case to actually hire an attorney, and have your wife go with an attorney to the interview. It will cost you some $$, but may be well worth it.

They look to see if there were problems for 5 years prior to the application. In your wife's case, there certainly are. You MUST consult with a reputable immigration attorney prior to filing the application. Answer the question honestly on the application. The court may have a disposition for her case. Go to the court and get a copy and take it to the attorney.

She'll Be Alright

two years ago, a friend of mine had the same problem. She put it on the application, she got her citizenship without any problem.

Shoplifting in Colorado

Hi,

I need help please.
My wife was apprehended for shoplifting at a grocery store and the total value is $34. She was taken to the manager office to sign some papers and the store manager called the police. The police came and wrote her a citation and she was released without being taken to the police station. They did not fingerprint and took any pictures of her. The police told her to go to the municipal court to appear her case to the judge. She paid the court administration fee and the judge gave her 16 hours of community service and no jail time or any probation classes. The only probation the judge gave her is to be good for 6 months without any more shoplifting or tress passing and her case will be closed after that. The court classified her case as misdemeanors. The maximum jail time is 3 months for stolen good of less than $100 in Colorado.
She has been in the US for 7 months with a 2 year conditional green card. Here are my questions:

1. Will she get deported?

2. She will be applying for I-751 Petition to Remove the Conditions of Residence in the next 9 to10 months after her case is closed. Does she need to answer yes to question 7 of Part 3? Some people told me to check “No”.

Thanks you

Anjan Roy, for a clean 5 years better to wait until May 2008. Consult an attorney, since people with cases even worse haven't had problems.

two years ago, a friend of mine had the same problem. She put it on the application, she got her citizenship without any problem.

Did your friend send some letter/arrest record/ disposition letter when she sent her N400? Would really appreciate any information. I am thinking of applying for citizenship. I was on the same situation but still nervous for the outcome of my misdemeanor case. ( it was dismissed/ it's been 6 yrs now)

you need to rethink her about keeping her as your wife since she is a convicted shop lifter. Any minor crimes or mistakes is something but shop lifting, not paying for service or goods of any kind MUST BE FELONY. I just find this to be very shameful and evil and careless act. Maybe that's just my opinion

Last edited by a moderator: