shoplifting case......does it affect GC

safar

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
This happened back in 1996, i was arrested for shoplifting (i had forgot to pay for one of the things and came out) and taken to the police station. They took my photos and fingerprints and then i was out on bail. The lawyer in my school asked me to plead "No Contest" and pay the fine. I did the same.
I applied for Consular Processing and my interview's on 20'th Aug. I told my paralegal everything and he said its a minor thing and not to worry about. He asked me to say "Yes" to the question in the P3 form and give him copies of my court documents and take the originals when i go for the interview. my questions are....
1. how serious are misdemeanors treated from immigration point of view
2. does anybody know of any similar case and the outcome of it.

i would appreciate immediate responses as my interview date is nearing.....

Originally posted by safar
Hi,
This happened back in 1996, i was arrested for shoplifting (i had forgot to pay for one of the things and came out) and taken to the police station. They took my photos and fingerprints and then i was out on bail. The lawyer in my school asked me to plead "No Contest" and pay the fine. I did the same.
I applied for Consular Processing and my interview's on 20'th Aug. I told my paralegal everything and he said its a minor thing and not to worry about. He asked me to say "Yes" to the question in the P3 form and give him copies of my court documents and take the originals when i go for the interview. my questions are....
1. how serious are misdemeanors treated from immigration point of view
2. does anybody know of any similar case and the outcome of it.

i would appreciate immediate responses as my interview date is nearing.....
Put your question to Ron Gotcher at imminfo.com. He is a good lawyer & will be able to give his views. But do not mention about your lawyer.

thanks svj

Thanks SVJ, the link u sent me gave a lot of information, though i am still in a lingo, i have to get a strong confirmation from my lawyer about it.

thanks again...........but please let me know of any similar case and what happened to it.

Safar