Share CA DL Renewal Experiences

jk5598224

Registered Users (C)
I would like to know if anybody has received CA DL renewal by mail.

When originally got DL in CA we presented and turned in our FL DL along with EAD.

When the CA DL arrived in the mail we were surprised that it was good for five years, whereas as others we know expire based on their document expiriation.

So we are hoping for the best and an renewal arrives in the mail.

Thanks

I have always renewed CA DL by mail (twice renewed so far) and each renewal was for 5 years (expiring on your birth day).

I would like to know if anybody has received CA DL renewal by mail.

My wife and I have lived in the USA since 1993. For the ten years on my O-1 visa, the next year as AOS applicants, and since 2004 as permanent residents.

We got our original CA DLs in 1994. Since then we have been able to renew by mail (except, I believe, every third time we had to renew in person and have our photos taken, etc.) Every license we've had, had a 5 year validity period and was never tied to our documentation dates.

Now, this all might be because we got the first one so long ago. In fact, I believe it was only 1993 that the DMV in California became a sort of front-line for the INS and there were a lot of questions and, frankly, some harassment from them when we applied in 1994. I actually wrote a letter about it to the then director of the CA DMV and received not only an apology, but a letter saying that disciplinary action was being taken against the DMV employee who harassed us (apparently they had a habit of doing that.)

But, since then, everything has been smooth sailing!

Good news. Any recollection on how many weeks/months renewal notice came in the mail before DL exipiration?

My wife and I have lived in the USA since 1993. For the ten years on my O-1 visa, the next year as AOS applicants, and since 2004 as permanent residents.

We got our original CA DLs in 1994. Since then we have been able to renew by mail (except, I believe, every third time we had to renew in person and have our photos taken, etc.) Every license we've had, had a 5 year validity period and was never tied to our documentation dates.

Now, this all might be because we got the first one so long ago. In fact, I believe it was only 1993 that the DMV in California became a sort of front-line for the INS and there were a lot of questions and, frankly, some harassment from them when we applied in 1994. I actually wrote a letter about it to the then director of the CA DMV and received not only an apology, but a letter saying that disciplinary action was being taken against the DMV employee who harassed us (apparently they had a habit of doing that.)

But, since then, everything has been smooth sailing!

Good news. Any recollection on how many weeks/months renewal notice came in the mail before DL exipiration?

It's been a while, but I seem to recall the renewal notice comes at least a month or two before the expiration.

I just passed the test for my CA driver's license after moving here from Illinois, and I'm kind of hoping it will be valid for 5 years instead of 2 (my Conditional Green Card expires on 2011). :rolleyes:

Ok.. driver's license arrived pretty quick (8 days), but it expires in 2 years (when my Conditional GC expires).
Oh well.. I'm sure there will be a way to renew it when the time comes :)

dl

thats too bad. Perhaps it depends on the person or dmv office you go to. Some people with expiring document dates (whether GC, EAD etc) get the normal 5 year driver licence, regardless if docs would expire prior to that, and some people get DL expiring when the actual doc expires, such as yours case. I have gotten reports of both scenarious. Good luck.

Yeah.. I was unlucky. A coworker of mine that sponsored for her husband said he also got a 5 year license. :(
I'm just hoping they will renew it with the extension letter once I have filed the I-751 or I'll be in trouble.. not knowing how to get to work!

Just an update, we did get the CA DL renewal in the mail exactly 60 days in advance of expiration.

We renewed it over the internet, and I REALLY hope the DL just arrives in the mail with no further interruptions.

We renewed it over the internet, and I REALLY hope the DL just arrives in the mail with no further interruptions.

If you received your renewal notice in the mail with the option to renew over the Internet, I'd be very surprised if you have any issues with interruptions.