Shall I make a phone call to VSC

dianaghuang

Registered Users (C)
hi, all: I have kept checking this site for a while. My case was submitted on Dec 2004. I did fingerprint in middle of April, now the online status still saying "fingerprint result is received, your case is resumed, blah blah....". I found some people did the fingerprint at the same time as mine, has been approved already. I did FOIPA havlf a month ago , got the No record response in about one week. so I guess they should finish my name check too.

Since my case is NIW, which has no priority date issues, I wonder if it's appropriate to make a phone call using TIP to ask VSC representative. I'm a little worried because I don't want to screw things up by making phone calls, but waiting hopelessly is such a pain, especially when you are waiting for the new job conditional offers. My case is 6 months later than the processing time online ( jun, 04 now), shall I call them to check my case status? or Shall I just keep quietly waiting? Does VSC only help those case with receipt date laid before the processing time?

Please give me your idea. thanks.

Diana,
Your frustration about "waiting quietly" is understandable but I am not sure you will speeden things up for yourself by calling VSC. (Mine is a sub-labor under EB3 so I am not under NIW. I have a Masters degree though :D . But, I am quite anxious to find out what's going on with my case since I see some folks under almost exact same conditions as me - EB3 labor sub, PD mid-2001, concurrent 140/485 in 11/2004 - get their 485 approval.)

In fact, just today I was thinking too about talking to the VSC Rep about my case. I am sure regarding the general question of when my case will be approved, the VSC rep will tell me that it takes about 365-540 days for these cases and ask me to wait!

I am curious about one particular thing though - after reading all the posts about FBI Name clearance etc - about whether my FBI name check has been completed. It seems like the FBI takes a long times (few months) to reply to this question. I was wondering if the VSC rep atleast tells me : if a name check has been initiated or completed (even if with out giving too much info away to us about when it was initiated etc.)

I am also interested in finding out if there is any negative aspect of calling VSC and asking them about our case status especially when we filed 140/485 in late 2004 and they are currently processing 6/2004. I'd guess it would be harmless (and "useless") but I want to be sure it is harmless ! :)

Good luck,
Kiran

same boat

Kiran: we are in the same boat, same situation. One thing is I did FOIPA and got no record response in about 10 days. Does it mean USCIS has already got the name check results? if they are still stuck on name check process, I guess I won't get the FOIPA response so soon. how do you think?

How do you get the response for FOIPA? By Fax, email or ???
How you submit your FOIPA?
I sent FOIPA request to FBI by fax at the begining of May, still no response.
Thanks.

Hi,

I had similar situation as you. I did FOIPA a few weeks back, and got the "No Record Found" response in about one week. My feeling is the name check on my case hasn't been initiated to FBI, otherwise, there should be a record for you in FBI database. Correct me if I am wrong . . .

Thanks,

GcRelated04 said:
Hi,

I had similar situation as you. I did FOIPA a few weeks back, and got the "No Record Found" response in about one week. My feeling is the name check on my case hasn't been initiated to FBI, otherwise, there should be a record for you in FBI database. Correct me if I am wrong . . .

Thanks,

FBI name check initiation has nothing to do with FOIPA record. It is initiated by USCIS some time after they receive your 485 application.

As far as I know, that is a misunderstanding. No record found is good. If there is record found, they will do more investigation. The record is a background record or criminal record not the FOIPA submission record.

Please let me know how you submit your FOIPA request and how you get your response from FBI. Thanks.

No record means no record existing in FBI database that they are interested in you, that's good. so I think getting it faster maybe means USCIS has initiated your name check so they already finished it so they can just basically do the same thing really fast to get your request back. Anyway, I'm just guessing.

Reachsky, the FOIPA is back in mail. the request was by fax.

GCRelated04, do you think it's appropriate to bother VSC to figure out if the case is stuck or in regular process? I know we can't speed things up, just try to comfort myself.

Hi,

This is also I am thinking of doing, but have the same concern as you have. I tried with customer service at USCIS though, but no luck over there . . .

Let's keep each other posted on any additional findings,

Thanks,

dianaghuang said:
No record means no record existing in FBI database that they are interested in you, that's good. so I think getting it faster maybe means USCIS has initiated your name check so they already finished it so they can just basically do the same thing really fast to get your request back. Anyway, I'm just guessing.

Reachsky, the FOIPA is back in mail. the request was by fax.

GCRelated04, do you think it's appropriate to bother VSC to figure out if the case is stuck or in regular process? I know we can't speed things up, just try to comfort myself.

Thanks Dianaghuang. I am wondering why I do not receive any response from FBI regarding my FOIPA request for my wife.
I submitted my EB1 485 the end of Nov 2004 I got approval 4/16/2005. My wife's case is still pending even though we submitted at the same time. I had called VSC the end of April and found out that my wife's FBI name check is still pending. That's the reason I sent FOIPA request. By the way, I don't think the FOIPA request will make name check faster.

The following is the tip to call VSC. Good luck.

GCRelated04:
How you get your response from FBI? How you submit your FOIPA request? Thanks.

A tip for calling the Vermont center - I found in previous thread here

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A tip for calling the Vermont center

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally got the VSC center

Please call the 1-800-375-5283 NSC and follow the below steps. Here is the sequence of steps i followed to get to this:

Press 1 (for english),
press 2 (for existing case),
press 6 (for case statues etc),
then press 1( for knowing your receipt no.),
enter the receipt # to get the automated response saying blah blah blah and also at the end saying this is the most upto date information on your case and our customer the same info national customer service agents have (i totally agree with this).
Then choose to continue to the next step "press 3" . choose 3
Listen to the options-
Option 4 "if you feel if you submitted together and one of the applications is left out and not processed (don't remmember the exact message text ..but something about companion case "

You get transferred to VSC after choosing option 4.

If you call after VSC operating hours you will be asked to call the National Service center with this message
""there are no immigration officers at this service center at this time, please call the USCIS national customer service center".

Hope this helps!

http://boards.immigrationportal.com...ad.php?t=156275

Mine Nov 2004 Case

Mine is also Nov 2004 case. FP done in Mid March and case status was changed.

I never heard of anybody who got approved with Nov 2004 ND.

Anybody posted in this forum that they got approved with Nov 2004 ND?

Guys..

After seeing your posts, I feel, I should be more worried, because my case was filed in Nov 2004 and I'm still waiting for my 140 approval. FP and Biometrics are done on 05/12/05 and I did not see any update on 485 except LUD change on 05/13.

485 approvals for Nov 2004 cases..? Incredible..!

wtg4gc
EB3/VSC/LC Sub/140/485/EAD/AP - ND: 11/15/2004
AP: Approved in March 05 after a RFE
EAD: Approved in Jan 05
140: No news yet
485: LUD - 05/13
FP Done: 05/12

Looking for a FOIPA template ...

Diana and others!

I am also thinking of doing the FOIPA for myself. I am searching for a FOIPA "template" to FAX the FBI and found one at:

http://www.immigrationportal.com/archive/index.php/t-173027.html

(search for "winny1971")

Diana, I see your post in the above thread and am wondering if you used the FOIPA template available on that thread posted by a "winny1971".

If not, can you let me know what template you used?

Thanks,
Kiran

KiranGreene: yes, I'm using the template on that link.

Reachsky: where did you see the approval of ND nov 04? is it in this forum?

Approvals in the same timeframe

My 140 was approved after which I filed the 485 applications for me and my wife in September 2004. The RD on my applications was around 09/29. So I am in the same boat as everyone else in this thread.

Ihave not seen any approvals for folks filing in the September-October-November timeframe. Currently I see a lot of approvals for people filing around April '04. Though I have seen some 485 approvals for folks who have filed as late as Feb '05. Mysterious are the ways of VSC!!

I should though warn that I have seen postings that ask us not to initiate calls to VSC before the published processing dates pass our 485 RD.

what is FOIPA? Also do people know how we can check if our name check has been done and if our case is in the hands of an immigration officer?

thanks and good luck!!!

FOIA/PA Freedom of Information Act/Privacy Act

A simple search in "google" for FOIPA gave some relevant hits. By the way, this FOIPA term was new to me until yesterday! :D

take it easy,
Kiran

dianaghuang said:
KiranGreene: yes, I'm using the template on that link.

Reachsky: where did you see the approval of ND nov 04? is it in this forum?

Diana,
Yes. In this forum. Actually, I submitted my 485 on Nov 26 and ND is Dec 3, 2004. I got my 485 approved April 16, 2005.
If you go to EB1 or NIW category in this forum, you should be able to see some people got approval. For example Anya4ever got her both EB1 and NIW approval in April. Her ND is NOV 2004