Shall I choose B1/B2 or B2 on DS-160 while renewing a B1/B2 visa?

origin72

Registered Users (C)
Hey all,

I am filling out the DS-160 for my mother-in-law who had a B1/B2 visa which is expiring in May 2012. I am confused which option to pick - B1/B2 or B2. She does not have any intention to do any business in the U.S., so picking B1/B2 does not seem right. However, the fact that she previously had a B1/B2, should I just pick that one for the renewal?

Thanks!

PS: I am not even sure on what basis B1/B2 was granted in the first place because 10 years back also her main purpose was just to visit family in the U.S.

It doesn't matter anymore.

Hey all,

I am filling out the DS-160 for my mother-in-law who had a B1/B2 visa which is expiring in May 2012. I am confused which option to pick - B1/B2 or B2. She does not have any intention to do any business in the U.S., so picking B1/B2 does not seem right. However, the fact that she previously had a B1/B2, should I just pick that one for the renewal?

Thanks!

PS: I am not even sure on what basis B1/B2 was granted in the first place because 10 years back also her main purpose was just to visit family in the U.S.

The categories used to refer to the statutory distinction between visitors for business (B-1) and the visitors for pleasure (B-2) but the law was changed and now they are combined in INA 101(a)(15)(B) which formerly had clauses (i) and (ii) but no longer does. Legally there is only the combined B1/B2 and that is how it will be issued regardless of what you indicate.