SFO Interview: 485 approved (AC21)

madman,
When u went back to your current employer and explained them the situation u are in .. did they write u another employment letter with the salary u wanted them to put or did they put the salary figure of their own ? Also, the letter was dated when, was it a past date or a future date ?

Waiting to hear from you.

Thanks buddy !!!

- life_on_hold

Originally posted by life_on_hold
madman,
When u went back to your current employer and explained them the situation u are in .. did they write u another employment letter with the salary u wanted them to put or did they put the salary figure of their own ? Also, the letter was dated when, was it a past date or a future date ?

Waiting to hear from you.

Thanks buddy !!!

- life_on_hold

my first employment letter was dated April 4th or so. my interview was on the 9th. I got a letter dated the 9th with the salary as stated on my LC. .

Originally posted by madman
my first employment letter was dated April 4th or so. my interview was on the 9th. I got a letter dated the 9th with the salary as stated on my LC. .

Did he compare letter's salary with actual salary?

madman,

Don't want to be the voice of doom or anything, but a word of caution. We have had a case on this forum before where the person did not make the amount of money stated on the LC, but received their GC's after the company promised to pay the LC amount after receipt of GC. INS in the mean time, red flagged that cases, they actually checked back after six months, and revoked the green card when they found the salary did not match. Since the officer actually saw the original employment letter and then the modified one, he might have made a note of it somewhere.

Just to be safe, I suggest you do request your company to pay you the same amount of money as stated on your LC or change jobs.

Good luck!

Originally posted by 140_takes_4ever
madman,

Just to be safe, I suggest you do request your company to pay you the same amount of money as stated on your LC or change jobs.

Good luck!

Yes of course. I will have the paystubs to prove it since I got the pay raise by offsetting options/bonus plans etc.

madman ,

You definitely have a very understanding Management :)! I strongly doubt my employers will be as understanding or nice about it, if I were in the same situation.

Yes of course. I will have the paystubs to prove it since I got the pay raise by offsetting options/bonus plans etc.

life_on_hold,

Though it happens very rarely. There are some horror stories that spoil happy endings for some GC's. Usually though, offcourse this is prior to this terrorist threat, you rarely hear stories of denial of AOS! Even now, we haven't heard a story like that in some time. Hope that stays true!

Originally posted by 140_takes_4ever

life_on_hold,

Though it happens very rarely. There are some horror stories that spoil happy endings for some GC's. Usually though, offcourse this is prior to this terrorist threat, you rarely hear stories of denial of AOS! Even now, we haven't heard a story like that in some time. Hope that stays true!

140_takes_4ever,
All we can do is .. "hope". So, that is what I am doing.
Well ... I am currently getting salary less than what is stated in the LC ... I have'nt changed company though ... my generous company has just slashed my salary with the excuse of bad economy, bad rates ... blah blah. My W2 etc. also reflects this.
So this keeps me worried ...

I think we should not worry about salary part now anymore since when we filed LC at that time every body was getting good amount but now a days every body knows that those salaries are not possible anymore.

TP,

I have a long story but in short my wife had interview at SFO on 02/13/03 and now we are waiting for her approval.

Originally posted by vipsha
I think we should not worry about salary part now anymore since when we filed LC at that time every body was getting good amount but now a days every body knows that those salaries are not possible anymore.

Vipsha,
Your posting gives a little solace of some sort ... but why then the jack ass officer asked madman all those questions about salary and W2 ?

how did you select Lawyer??

Congrats Madman,

your posting one of the best and most relavant to me

how did you select lawyer??
how is Lawyer Raja Ahluwalia?

Thanks in anticipation,
-Rama

Let me start by saying thanks to this board. It was a great source of info. I wish to share the good news of my 485 approval.

My advice from my experience:
- take ALL the docs (orignal and copies) to substantiate ALL the info on your application
- if you have a kid(s), take them to the interview
- if you run into a problem like I did, ask for a special pass ( a pink slip ) to come back in the next day
- you will need an employment letter from your company stating full-time, >= LC salary, same duties as on LC, same job title as on LC.
- take an attorney with you. I paid $1000 for the whole day.

I wish everyone on this board good luck. Your time will come.

-regards
madman

case details:
WAC-02-043-xxxxx
PD: 03/13/2001
RD: 10/22
ND: 11/14
Got EAD, Parole in 04/02 sometime
Wife's RFE: Medical 10/2002
My RFE: Paystubs, W2's on 11/07/2002
Case transferred 2/07/2003
Interview notice: 03/16/2003
Interview: 04/09/2003
AD: 04/10/2003

485 approved and passport stamped at SFO after interview. Under AC21, I moved from Company A (petitioner) to Company B after 180 days, then to Company C.

Interview letter asked me to bring
- all passports ( current and expired )
- I94
- 4 latest paystubs
- 2002, 2001, 2000 taxes and W2's
- corporate income taxes for 2000, 2001
- last four DE6 reports

Company C initially refused to provide income taxes and DE6 reports citing confidentiality since it is a private company. However, I retained a lawyer and had my company provide the docs in a sealed envelope to my lawyer who was at the interview. This worked out well. DE6 reports have quarterly wages of all employees and thus the sensitivity.

We decided to take our 9 month baby with us. This worked out well since it broke the ice. Thankfully, she was really good.

Interview started on time. Me and my wife were asked to take the oath and then produce
- Drivers License
- SIN card
- EAD card
- Advance Parole ( orignal )
- All passports
- Baby's passport
- Birth certificate ( to prove that we were the parents )
- Baby's SIN card

The officer photocopied all our passports even though I had copies with me. He then wrote "cancelled" on all US visas on all passports. He then proceeded to ask questions from a form including
- political affiliation
- member of any army
- arrests ( even for protests specifically !! )
- DUI
- immigration violation

Then, he asked me questions without referring to any document, got me riled up inside
- What would you do if you saw any suspicious activity
- Were you ever a terrorist
- Are you planning to be a terrorist ( !!! Duh !!! )
- Did you have an arranged marriage? ( made some remark about how divorce rates are lower among Indians )
- He asked my wife "When were you married?"
- Were you ever married before
- What is your address
- Who lives with you
- Do you own or rent

He then reviewed and asked me for every entry on my 485 application including job history, address, contact info. He wasn't too thorough with my wife's file though.

Then, he reviewed my W2's and commented on why my W2 wages were much higher than LC salary. This was because of bonuses, severance packages etc.

He asked me how long I had worked for petitioner. He did some math and said, "Ok. You were there for at least 180 days. AC21 is applicable". He then asked for an original employment verification letter from current employer. I made sure that my letter had EXACT same title and duties as on my LC since this was true. He asked me for my title and job description. I parroted the title and duties on LC. He said that my case could not be approved because my salary was $10K less than that on my LC. At this time, my lawyer interjected and said that he could use his discretion to show some leeway since the difference was 'small' ( try telling that to my employer..). The officer insisted that the salary shoud be >= LC salary. Period.

My lawyer then interjected. He asked if I could bring in a new employment letter with reqd salary the next day. The officer agreed and gave me a special pass so that I could come in the next day only. He said that if I wasn't there by noon, the files would leave his desk and I would get an RFE and then someone else would open my file in a few months etc. My lawyer then asked for the original back. At this point, the officer said he just needed a letter with the correct salary...

The officer also told me that I need not bring my wife and kid the next day. All I had to do was get the letter and their passports.

He commented on the fact that I had organized the docs well. He saw that I brought everything and didn't even check the corporate income taxes or the DE6 reports or paystubs !! The current employment letter is worth its weight in gold !!!
The officer then said that my wife's case could not be approved since her medicals were not complete. I told him that she had responded to an RFE in this regard. He then checked the file one more time and found everything to be in order.

Needless to say, I drove back to work and worked it out with the powers that be that I get a new letter issued. I am thankful that the bosses were able to readjust bonuses, options to give me the reqd salary.

Today, I was there at 8:00 am with the letter. At 8:30 the officer got the letter and at 8:45 stamped our passports.

It is probably easier to enter heaven. You should seriously consider if you should have let them insult you like this. Unless
you happen to come from countries like afganistan where there
is no hope anyway.

jc

Life,

In INS we can find different level of assholes(AH) , some are big , some are small, some are deep , some are not so, etc. but one thing is sure 99.99% IIOs are AHs. It depends on your luck what kind of AH is taking your interview. They ask for DS6 but they may not be knwoing what to do with that. Back home in India I have seen local police they will ask different kind of documents but they don't how to read, same is with IIOs.
You can present birth certificate of your child on which your and your's spouse name will be there but still they need MC.
They think with there AHs not with the brains.

Congrats Madman.....
I have a question though about the salary part.
I am working with my petitioner and actually my base salary is 10% less than what is specified in the LC. But, if we add the Bonus(We have some stupid bonus plan tied with Comp performance), it will come to my LC specified salary. So, should I ask my employer to rasie my salary by that 10%, 2, 3 months just before my Time will be due or is it fine? I am still confused abt that part?

your salary related question

Originally posted by kingno1
Congrats Madman.....
I have a question though about the salary part.
I am working with my petitioner and actually my base salary is 10% less than what is specified in the LC. But, if we add the Bonus(We have some stupid bonus plan tied with Comp performance), it will come to my LC specified salary. So, should I ask my employer to rasie my salary by that 10%, 2, 3 months just before my Time will be due or is it fine? I am still confused abt that part?

If you don't get RFE or case transfer notice, you are fine as is. If you get RFE for paystubs, you may still be ok...I am not sure. If they have a problem, they will issue you another RFE for LC salary I think. However, if your case has been transferred to a local office...then you are better off making LC salary (based on my experience). INS doesn't care about bonus etc. they are only looking at "salary". Remember, that it will be roughly 1-2 months min between case transfer letter to interview notice letter. The interview will then be atleast a month away. So you will have time to get 4 paystubs and/or employment letter with LC salary.

hope this helps

-madman

Re: how did you select Lawyer??

Originally posted by ramavataar
Congrats Madman,

your posting one of the best and most relavant to me

how did you select lawyer??
how is Lawyer Raja Ahluwalia?

Thanks in anticipation,
-Rama

Rama:

My petitioner's lawyer was in Virginia. After I got laid off and moved to companies B and C, he continued to be my lawyer. His only responsibility was to forward communication from INS.

Then, when there was a need ie. respond to RFE, he charged me $680 to prepare the response including the AC21 letter. However, when I got my interview letter, he said I couldn't pay him enough to get on a flight to come to SFO. I asked him for a couple of references. He gave me the name of his former colleague who is near LA. I retained the guy blindly since he was referred to me by someone I had good rapport with.

I don't think I was too happy with him though. At the same time, perhaps I should give him the benefit of the doubt. Point is, other lawyers may be worse than this guy. Also, not too many lawyers are willing to provide services for just the day I am told. I paid this dude $1000 + $150 for travel from LA. If you need the name of this lawyer, send me a pm. I would strongly recommend you find someone in your local area.

-madman

I know we should have a lawyer with us at the time of interview but what is the point of having him/her when they can not argue on any thing. I had lawyer at the time of my interview and my wife's interview but she(lawyer) did not do any thing just she was there that's it. And I have not heard in any case where lawyer defend his client at the time of interview. It is not like in court where your lawyer can argue. Once IIO said something it is done then what is the point of having good or bad lawyer.

yeah yeah I know still we need some stupid lawyer.

Re: Re: SFO Interview: 485 approved (AC21)

Originally posted by justchecking
It is probably easier to enter heaven. You should seriously consider if you should have let them insult you like this. Unless
you happen to come from countries like afganistan where there
is no hope anyway.

jc

The INS officer was very polite, yet very very thorough. He was never rude. He is an immigrant himself. He had to ask what he had to ask. While the questions were bothersome, I had no problem answering them. After all, I am the one who is trying to immigrate to the US by my own choice. The US has the right to ask any questions within reason so long as they ask them of all interviewees fairly. Besides, having come this far, it would be stupid of me to let my temper take over. Also if a few questions can alter my feelings for my home country or the US then they are only skin deep. Just take a breath, chalk it up for experience and move on with life...so much more to life

cheers
madman

Vipsha,

Actually I did read of a case, where the INS officer asked some question that was not pertinent, and the lawyer objected since it was illegal to ask that question. The applicant got through. I think having a lawyer helps more in getting the IIO to take you more seriously than he would normally. Plus the lawyer can always help like he did in madman's case. Usually at that time we are flustered because it is such an important moment for us, while the lawyer being more dispassionate can advise correctly

Originally posted by vipsha
I know we should have a lawyer with us at the time of interview but what is the point of having him/her when they can not argue on any thing. I had lawyer at the time of my interview and my wife's interview but she(lawyer) did not do any thing just she was there that's it. And I have not heard in any case where lawyer defend his client at the time of interview. It is not like in court where your lawyer can argue. Once IIO said something it is done then what is the point of having good or bad lawyer.

yeah yeah I know still we need some stupid lawyer.