Severance Pay

Chennai2

Registered Users (C)
Hello Friends:

PLease post your comments for this situation. I am laid off after obtaining GC. Now, is there any issue in signing Separation and release agreement for obtaining severance pay. The company will communicate specific individual information accordingly to the state unemployment office.

wrong forum buddy.

we are still waiting for the GC. Please try positing / browsing after the green card section.

Don't worry about it because you didn't leave on your own. A friend of mine was recently laid off and got a severance package but was still able to claim umemployment benefits.

good luck!!

Can you read the heading of this forum? 485 issues in California service center. Now what part of your question deals with the above?

I am sorry about your situation, but posting in the wrong forum where people don't have experience with your situation is not going to help you!

If only I had a GC, I would not worry about severance. I'd be a new man, happy as a clam, light as a feather and free as a bird.

Originally posted by ruxrux
If only I had a GC, I would not worry about severance. I'd be a new man, happy as a clam, light as a feather and free as a bird.

:) Unfortunately as I am sure we will find out, GC is but a mile stone not the goal. So life goes on! Just because you have GC does not mean you have a job, does not mean your mortgage won't need to be paid, etc. etc. While you don't live in perpetual fear that you will be chucked out of the country, you still need to make money to live. Hence the doubt that you would be a new man, happy, or light! Free definitely! :)

Originally posted by 140_takes_4ever
:) Unfortunately as I am sure we will find out, GC is but a mile stone not the goal. So life goes on! Just because you have GC does not mean you have a job, does not mean your mortgage won't need to be paid, etc. etc. While you don't live in perpetual fear that you will be chucked out of the country, you still need to make money to live. Hence the doubt that you would be a new man, happy, or light! Free definitely! :)

Good one. I got my GC more than one year back and what I realized that whatever fear/insecurity I had before getting GC they did not go away after getting GC - they just shifted to something else. Economy is doing bad, our company is doing bad, our project is doing bad. I still fear for loosing my job anyday. I still get worried that I do not have atleast six months saving in case something wrong happens. I still get worried when I get a long credit card statement.
I saw people going back to India after getting GC because they didn't get a job for more than 4/5 or even 6 months. Some of them got pretty good positions in good companies at Bangalore, Hyderabad. So I tried to take this getting-kicked-out-of-country in a positive way. Now I console myself : well, unlike Americans, atleast I have an additional option.

BTW, see this site: http://www.netslaves.com As many companies are outsourcing for cheaper rate, some of the guys (obviously unemployed American engineers) here thinking of going to India/China/Russia for work.

*SPAM*

pralay,

Funnily, a friend of mine who works in the IT dept. of a big financial services company had a unique call. It was from a British colleague, who wanted to know where Bangalore was and if he could get a work visa from India. :)

I found that incident so funny! Imagine the idea, instead of long lines outside American consulates, people will be standing in front of the Indian consulate to go work in India! :)

Well more power to Banglorean companies if that ever happens!

But still hoping and praying for our 485 to get through, like you said it is just an added option!

long line for indian visa LOL . that will be some thing to be seen . Though i know indian work permit is muc more difficult to get then H1 visa but indian tourist visa is much easier to get then US tourist visa.

Re: *SPAM*

Originally posted by 140_takes_4ever
Funnily, a friend of mine who works in the IT dept. of a big financial services company had a unique call. It was from a British colleague, who wanted to know where Bangalore was and if he could get a work visa from India. :)

I guess couple of years back you read one joke where two American guys were discussing about getting H1 visa for India and getting excited about being paid on Rupees.

What is 140 doing in 485 thread??????????

Often I get confussed by seeing "140_takes_4ever" in this I485 thread.

Severance Pay

Am I Entitled to Severance Pay?
You might be surprised to learn that there are no U.S. Federal laws that directly regulate severance pay. In fact, U.S. employers don't have to offer it at all. This might seem confusing, because some offer it anyway. But they do so to be fair, stay competitive or as a "bribe" to avoid lawsuits. Such offerings are benefits, and employers have the right to withdraw or modify benefits at anytime, except for those mandated by law or contract.

While the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) does regulate minimum wages and overtime pay, it does not require employers to offer severance pay. The FLSA is enforced by the U.S. Department of Labor.

For massive layoffs exceeding a certain number of employees, some states and the Feds require companies to notify affected employees in advance. So, your employer might send you packing on the day you get your pink slip, but still send you regular paychecks and offer the benefits to which you're entitled, throughout your notification period (e.g., 60 days). Although it's better than just a boot on your backside, it's not really severance pay. It's "regular" pay in compliance with the law.

An unscrupulous company might call it severance pay anyway, to make you think they're doing you a favor. But sending you home with pay is a convenience for the company, to avoid last-minute retaliation such as theft and sabotage. "Real" severance pay is extra money in addition to any regular pay the company owes you, as meager compensation for losing your job. A severance package might include this extra money, along with extended benefits.

If you have an employment contract that says you are entitled to severance pay, then your employer is obligated to pay you, if you have complied with the terms of your contract. In the absence of explicit contracts, some states consider policy manuals, employee handbooks and personnel manuals to be implied contracts. So, if one of those documents includes a promise of severance pay, then your employer might be bound to it; that is, if you didn't sign an agreement, in which you acknowledged that such documents do not constitute a contract. If your employer has a long history of issuing severance pay, then some states might consider that as an implied contract. States might also consider a verbal promise of severance pay as an implied contract.

According to the U.S. Department of Labor, the Pension and Welfare Benefits Administration might be able to assist you, if you didn't receive severance pay required by an employment contract.

If you think you're getting a raw deal, you might be able to negotiate a better deal. For example, if your employer is trying to force you to quit to avoid the potential legal complications in firing you, then you've got leverage to bargain for severance pay or a better, overall package. (Get it in writing.) If your employer is laying you off, they might be concerned about what the remaining employees will think, so they might be willing to compromise. But, don't expect them to come to you. If you just lay down and take it, they have little incentive to make a better offer.

On the other hand, don't push your luck too much. If you do try to bargain, you are effectively declining the first severance pay offer and making a counteroffer. If employers don't wish to negotiate, most will likely honor their first offer anyway. But do be aware that they don't have to, unless contracts state otherwise.

****SPAM***

I thought of sharing a link with you, which is related to the topic being discussed here "Outsourcing to India". Recently NJ has introduced a bill to ban any outsourcing of Govt. projects to abroad. I am not sure how long India can retain 'Outsourcing' sheen. Here is an interesting article on that topic.

http://www.sulekha.com/column.asp?cid=305811

A Jealous advice to its competitors

** SPAM **

Infosys doesn't want other software companies to outsource manpower in India. They are trying to put obstacles for the competitors.

If an Indian company itself against the Outsourcing policy, why not New Jersey or ......

Infosys think that they are the only sole proprietors for the Indian IT man power.

Have open mind and face the competition. More employment will be created if there is a competition. It is good for the country.

Infosys cautions global IT firms
----------------------------------------

NDTV Correspondent

Wednesday, May 21, 2003 (Bangalore):

Software giant Infosys has made an interesting statement in its annual report filed for 2002-03 filed with the Securities and Exchange Board of India early this week.

In its report, Infosys has actually cautioned global IT firms that are replicating its global delivery model of oursourcing from India.

Infosys has warned these firms that they will not only face difficulties in business model re-engineering, but they could also end up earning lower revenues.

Clearly, Infosys is referring to companies like Eds, Accenture and IBM who already have operations in India and are ramping up staff strength.

perai, such laws will be made. And the abuse of Indian engineers in Malaysia, such stuff will also happen.

But as long as Indian Engineers have something really good to give, which today we do .. these problems will not matter in the long run.

Come to think of it, by not outsourcing .. who really looses in the long run?