September 2003 CP Experiences

cannon576

Registered Users (C)
Here is my CP experience at chennai:
We Went to Lister Lab on Sep 8 at 8:30 AM. We paid the fees (Rs 1200) and signed some forms.

They took blood and x-ray for both me and my wife. Since it was beginning of the month,

there werent many people for the test. The guy who took blood was asking about opportunities

in the USA for paramedicals. I had no idea. They said we can collect reports after 4:30 pm.
Then we went back to Lister Labs at 4:30 pm and collected our sealed reports & x-rays.

Then we went to the camera citi, paid the cost for 8 copies (digital) for immigration style

photos and then went upstairs to the studio. The place is very old fashioned and the day we

went, the photographer was missing for 15 min. we had to wait outside the studio sweating in

the hot chennai weather. Then the photographer came and the a/c wasnt working as there was

powercut. I regretted not going to Konica or Kodak instead. so, we were sweating inside

also. He made me remove my eye glasses and my wife's jewels. But he forgot to ask my wife to

remove bhindi, thinking it wouldnt be visible in the photo (small black design in the

forehead). We left the studio in about 30 min. Then we went to the Best HOspital in

kodambakkam to visit doctor Mathai Thomas at about 5:30 pm. We waited there for 10 - 15 min

to see the docotor. He looked at the reports and then did physical checkup for me. he got a

nurse to do physical checkup for my wife behind the screens. He asked my wife if there is

any objection for checking her breasts if the nurse finds any lumps in the breast. She said

ok after some confusion. But there was no problem. He asked about any surgeries, diseases so

far. We both had chicken pox when we were young. we told him that. So he administered MMR

shots only for both of us. I think We paid him Rs 1500. He gave us sealed medical reports

and said nothing to worry about. Noting that my wife was born in sengottai, he was sharing

his childhood memories in sengottai (and kutralam).

Then we went to the Camera citi the next day (sep 9) to collect the photos. Since the

photographer forgot to ask my wife to remove the bhindi the previous day, he had to take her

picture again. so we took the picture and we collected it the next day (sep 10).

On the day before the interview (sep 24) I arranged all the documents in order. I took a DD

for Rs.400 payable to "BLUE DART EXPRESS LTD, CHENNAI" for courier charges.

(Contd...)

(Contd...)

Finally THE DAY came (sep 25) and we left the home at 10 AM for the 11AM appointment.

Reached the consulate by auto at 10:20. We showed the appointment letter and our passports to the security, and he let us in without having to stand in the queue. We went past the counters for non-immigrant visas and went to the consular services building across the road by 10:35AM. It was very crowded and we were told by the security that our names will be
called from counter 7 or 8 to collect the documents. They called my name about 12:30 and we gave our documents. She asked for 3 months bank statments 3 payslips, 2002 W2 and tax transcript, along with other usual documents. She also asked my latest H1 approval since my visa has expired. It took about 10 - 15 minutes. Then we waited again for them to call for the interview. The officer who was interviewing in counter 6, took a lunch break for 40 minutes from 1 pm. We were finally called around 2:40 pm.

Officer: Hello
me: Hello! How are you?
Officer: Fine. Thankyou. How are you?
me: I am doing fine.
Officer: You guys ready to go to the USA?
me& wife: Yes Sir
Officer: Lets see if you are qualified!

Officer: Are you guys hungry?
me: Yes Sir, very much
wife: famished
Officer: See, so many people are sitting there hungry, like you.
me & wife: :-?
wife: Its worth the wait
Officer: Do you swear that the information here (DS 230) is correct?
me& wife: Yes sir. (he made us sign ds 230 part II)
Officer: Who is calling you?
me: blah Inc
Officer: Where are they located?
me: Atlanta
Officer: what is your position
me: systems analyst
Officer: what is your job duties
me: blah blah
Officer: How long you are working there?
me: blah years
Officer: Have you been on h1 before?
me: Yes sir.
Officer: How long have you been on h1 visa?
me: I have been in the USA for xxx years total. zzz years on h1
Officer: were you there in any other visa before this
me: Yes sir, student visa
Officer:what did you study
me: In the university of blah I did MS in blah blah
Officer: Is that your wife?
me: Yes Sir
Officer: Are you sure? (smiling)
me: Yes sir (hehe)
Officer: How long have you been married?
me: about 5 months
Officer: Any kids?
me&wife: No!!!
Officer: No?
me: not yet!
officer: not that you know of? (haha)
me&wife: hehe
Officer: when did u come from the USA?
me: in the beginning of the month, since they had my interview scheduled for sep 11 before.
Officer: Did you have any brush with the law
me: NO sir
officer; No??
me: I just had a traffic ticket, thats all.
officer: ok when are you plannin to go back to the usa
me: This monday (sep 29)
officer: I think you may have to postpone your trip.
me&wife: :-??
officer: (after consulting with indian counterpart...) There is no problem with your

application. but we have run out visas for this month. so we can issue the visa only on Oct

1st. Oct 2nd is a holiday and so you may not get the visa by courier on 2nd. but you definitely will get it by 3rd.

me: Sir, they already changed my interview date from sep 26 to sep 11 and again to sep 25.
So, I have already taken too many days off.

Officer: there are many people here going through the same issue. are you ready to travel after oct 3rd.

me: yes, sir. thats fine

Officer: ok, now. i have approved your visas. But it will be issued only on Oct 1st. now you are free to go.

me&wife: Thank you sir.

Still waiting for visa.... as of oct 6th. Dont know what is the problem in getting visa numbers from the USA this month. The customer service unit at chennai consulate is not very friendly. hope they issue visa in another couple of days.

Hi Cannon , Raju

I do not have bank statements. I have enrolled in the online
banking thing and do not receive any paper statements from the bank. What should I do? Will this be a problem?

qfgc.

Originally posted by qfgc
Hi Cannon , Raju

I do not have bank statements. I have enrolled in the online
banking thing and do not receive any paper statements from the bank. What should I do? Will this be a problem?

qfgc.

The online statements are good enough. That is what I carried.

Raju

qfgc:

I concur with everyone that online bank statements are acceptable. But make a note..many banks for security reasons do not publish account holders name on the ONLINE monthly statement...instead they have a partial account number. What I am trying to get at is that when you print make sure that accountholder's (i.e you) name shows up on the Online Bank Statement printout. If the name does not show up then you will need to call your bank's customer service to request a regular bank statement for last xx months!