Sep. 2008 Visa Bulletin

It's also worth nothing that while USCIS may have plenty of EB2 cases, they may have told DOS that they intend to use only a subset of the remaining visa numbers, leaving the rest to the consulates. If the consulates don't have enough cases to handle and need more to use up the numbers, then DOS needs to move the date forward to ensure that the numbers get used.

I think this view of RelaCanadian is more dependable. The date progression may be related to push & pull from the consulates than USCIS. This makes sense now.
I think John thomas view is not accurate enough(there are so many cases eb2's pending , check this forum threads- and approvals have been like less than 50 cases as per the tracker). I can believe your view if they atleast approved 50% of the applications for the 2005 cases before going to 2006. you are trying to present more rosy picture of the situation. We will know in October for sure Eb2 is going back to 2004 or 2005 or 2006

But will they use these numbers? Assuming there are 20 thousand left, there don't seem to be any indication of hundreds of approvals a day.

Another question is does an application need to "approved" to take up a visa number? If USCIS is too busy to approve, can they assign numbers before Oct 1st and then approve those applications from Oct 1st?

I think this view of RelaCanadian is more dependable. The date progression may be related to push & pull from the consulates than USCIS. This makes sense now.
I think John thomas view is not accurate enough(there are so many cases eb2's pending , check this forum threads- and approvals have been like less than 50 cases as per the tracker). I can believe your view if they atleast approved 50% of the applications for the 2005 cases before going to 2006. you are trying to present more rosy picture of the situation. We will know in October for sure Eb2 is going back to 2004 or 2005 or 2006

It might go back to 2005 during the starting of the fiscal year. It should not go back to 2004 and even if it does, it will be in 2004 for only 1 or 2 months.

Most cases in 2004 and 2005 are either approved or stuck because of one issue or the other that is particular to that respective case. I personally know of a company that sponsored for more than 500 I-485s during July 2007 and most of their petitions are approved. They were mostly in EB-2, some in EB-3 and rarely in EB-1.

It's also worth nothing that while USCIS may have plenty of EB2 cases, they may have told DOS that they intend to use only a subset of the remaining visa numbers, leaving the rest to the consulates. If the consulates don't have enough cases to handle and need more to use up the numbers, then DOS needs to move the date forward to ensure that the numbers get used.

You may be right but just recently someone counted total EB appointments for the month of August at 4 us consulates in India (Mumbai Chennai Delhi and Kolkata) and the total number was somewhere around couple of hundred. And probably that will be case again for the month of September. So moving forward the cut off dates doesn't make any sense since thousand of EB2 AOS application are still pending with PD of 2004/2005.