Sent I-485 but passport expired yesterday

Chavacano

Registered Users (C)
Hi to all. My husband filed his AOS a few days ago but his passport expired yesterday. We can't renew his passport until we receive the NOA for the AOS and it will take 6 weeks to process the new passport. His passport is his only government issued ID. We are worried that we might not get his new passport in time for his FP and interview. The local DO might also not accept his expired passport as proof of ID when he goes for fingerprinting. Has anyone had this same problem? Will an expired passport be an issue during interview? Please help. Thanks.

Thanks Triple Citizen. I will go ahead and renew my passport while waiting for the fingerprint and interview. I can get a certification for ID purposes from my country's embassy while I wait for the new passport.

Don't forget to remove the I-94 before sending the passport for renewal. You may need the I-94 for the interview.

You can also get a non-driver state ID at your local DMV. Upon receiving your NOA, just go early in the morning to apply for one, because it is issued same day and is acceptable to ASC Center where his FP is going to be taken. I believe your old passport will be good, but have another state issued ID for safety reason, I'd dread carrying my passport everywhere...

Some ASC's wont let you do your FP without your passport.

Those are probably in the south, because they need to keep immigrants in check....lol!!! In DC area, my experience has been my DL has been sufficient, and ignore the over eager guards who abuse their small powers.