Sending photographs

notsolucky

Registered Users (C)
Hi Guys,

I guess this may not be the right place to post this. If someone thinks this is stupid, just ignore it.

I want to send some photographs (my new born's) to my in-laws in India. I cannot send them by e-mail . They do not have access to the web(very old).
They want me to send by normal mail.

I went to USPS and enquired about that. The lady asked me to fill a customs declaration form... which has among other things, description and value.

Is there a problem in filling such a form? Can I go ahead and send photos ?
Anybody with any experience with this?

Thanks

notsolucky said:
Hi Guys,

I guess this may not be the right place to post this. If someone thinks this is stupid, just ignore it.

I want to send some photographs (my new born's) to my in-laws in India. I cannot send them by e-mail . They do not have access to the web(very old).
They want me to send by normal mail.

I went to USPS and enquired about that. The lady asked me to fill a customs declaration form... which has among other things, description and value.

Is there a problem in filling such a form? Can I go ahead and send photos ?
Anybody with any experience with this?

Thanks

Of course no problem. I don't think the custom form is necesary.

Why not just put pphotos into an envelope, attach approprimate amoiunt of mail stamnps and throw it into a USPS mail box?

I have posted it using the custom form many times and see no problem in doing so. I had also used padded envelope available in the post-office or can be bought elsewhere too, for extra protection.

notsolucky said:

By law, when someone sends any photograpth abroad it's required to put custom declaration. In general there is no issue when you send personal/family pictures. Write "personal/family pictures" instead of generic "pictures".

pralay, Thanks for the reply.

Looks like my wife already sent the post with only 'photos' in the description of the customs form.

Do you think this will be a problem...? I guess the worst to happen is that they will open the packet at the customs check... But that is fine for me...Is that correct?

Thanks

notsolucky said:
pralay, Thanks for the reply.

Looks like my wife already sent the post with only 'photos' in the description of the customs form.

Do you think this will be a problem...? I guess the worst to happen is that they will open the packet at the customs check... But that is fine for me...Is that correct?

Thanks

I did not even know it is a rule to declare photos.

I once put perosnal and family photos between pages of a book and
mailed the book.

sheesh :rolleyes: ...didn't know there was this much red tape involved with mailing pix. have done it scores of times. we just throw a bunch of photos in an envelope, slap some postage on, and its merrily on its way... never been a problem. and they've always received 'em at the other end.