Senator Barack Obama (IL) reply

anildel

Registered Users (C)
It is to note that despite the fact that whole story about retrogression is written, they just understand h1b program. But his views are interesting.

---------------------

Thank you for writing with your concerns about an amendment offered by my colleague Senator Byrd to the Budget Reconciliation Act. This amendment would have struck provisions passed by the Senate Judiciary Committee that would recapture up to 30,000 H-1B visas that had not been issued in prior years. An additional fee of $500 would be charged to obtain these recaptured visas.

I share many of your concerns about the H1-B visa program and its potential effects on the jobs and wages of American workers. The intent is that H1-B visas only be issued if qualified American workers are unable to take the jobs in question. Also, H1-B visa holders should be paid a fair market wage for their work, not less than what an American worker would make for performing the same work. The intent of the program is not to undercut existing wage structures by importing foreign workers.

The demand for these workers is clear. When the H-1B annual numerical limits reverted to 65,000 from 195,000 the Fiscal Year 2004 limit was reached in mid-February 2004, and the Fiscal Year 2005 limit was reached on October 1, 2004, the first day of the fiscal year.

I voted against the Byrd Amendment because I believe that within limits, skilled immigrants play a valuable role in our economy. I understand that we need to create more jobs for American workers. And, using the technology sector as an example, the economic production of companies assisted by workers on H1-B visas in 1998 accounted for more than $16.8 billion in sales and over 58,000 jobs. The great majority of these news jobs are going to American workers.

But I fully agree that H1-B hires should be a last resort. I support the efforts of the Departments of Labor and Homeland Security to ensure that employers and H1-B applicants follow the intent and restrictions of the program. It is incumbent upon the Department of Labor to monitor the wages being paid to H1-B visa holders and enforce the H1-B program’s provision that wages reflect the current job market.

As this debate continues, it is important for Congress to assess how the H1-B visa affects job opportunities for Americans and wages in the relevant sectors. I look forward to working with the Departments of Labor and Homeland Security and my colleagues in Congress to determine where there may be gaps in the enforcement of the program as it stands. I would also like to explore increasing the burden on employers to prove that all attempts had been made to hire qualified American workers. I then will take the appropriate steps to protect the interests of American workers.

Again, thank you for writing me about the H1-B visa program. Please stay in touch on any issue of concern to you.

Sincerely,

Barack Obama
United States Senator

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, why are we talking about H-1B?

It is nice that he writes back. But the issue is EB retrogression.

anildel said:
Thank you for writing with your concerns about an amendment offered by my colleague Senator Byrd to the Budget Reconciliation Act. This amendment would have struck provisions passed by the Senate Judiciary Committee that would recapture up to 30,000 H-1B visas that had not been issued in prior years. An additional fee of $500 would be charged to obtain these recaptured visas.

I share many of your concerns about the H1-B visa program and its potential effects on the jobs and wages of American workers. The intent is that H1-B visas only be issued if qualified American workers are unable to take the jobs in question. Also, H1-B visa holders should be paid a fair market wage for their work, not less than what an American worker would make for performing the same work. The intent of the program is not to undercut existing wage structures by importing foreign workers.

The demand for these workers is clear. When the H-1B annual numerical limits reverted to 65,000 from 195,000 the Fiscal Year 2004 limit was reached in mid-February 2004, and the Fiscal Year 2005 limit was reached on October 1, 2004, the first day of the fiscal year.

I voted against the Byrd Amendment because I believe that within limits, skilled immigrants play a valuable role in our economy. I understand that we need to create more jobs for American workers. And, using the technology sector as an example, the economic production of companies assisted by workers on H1-B visas in 1998 accounted for more than $16.8 billion in sales and over 58,000 jobs. The great majority of these news jobs are going to American workers.

But I fully agree that H1-B hires should be a last resort. I support the efforts of the Departments of Labor and Homeland Security to ensure that employers and H1-B applicants follow the intent and restrictions of the program. It is incumbent upon the Department of Labor to monitor the wages being paid to H1-B visa holders and enforce the H1-B program’s provision that wages reflect the current job market.

As this debate continues, it is important for Congress to assess how the H1-B visa affects job opportunities for Americans and wages in the relevant sectors. I look forward to working with the Departments of Labor and Homeland Security and my colleagues in Congress to determine where there may be gaps in the enforcement of the program as it stands. I would also like to explore increasing the burden on employers to prove that all attempts had been made to hire qualified American workers. I then will take the appropriate steps to protect the interests of American workers.

Again, thank you for writing me about the H1-B visa program. Please stay in touch on any issue of concern to you.

Sincerely,

Barack Obama
United States Senator

They don't understand

Our letters clearly mentioned the retrogression issue. I think when these politicians look at the immigration part of the S1932 they can only understand the H1 visa part because they would have heard about it in the media and elsewhere. I don't think they even know what a retrogression means. Hence their reply is only about H1 and how they support it.

How do we make these politicians understand, :confused:

i am afraid of this only.....that not all policy makers know about our plight......that why i am supporting our faxing to senators/president/congressman......whoever else we can think of.......we need to make them aware....that there is an animal called as as a GC seeker....and it is an important part of the economy.....and its not in good health....

We should probably draft a letter which talks about EB Retrogression and how it differs from H1-B. Also going to senators office if it is possible to talk to them personally and explain them the difference between h1-b and green card. Talking to the senators secretary over phone and explaining them. Iam frustrated seeing these letters back from senators like that. Iam only thinking of ways to educate them. We should find ways other wise we will be struck here with out a green card for six to seven years more

And on the other hand I believe these guys favour H1B (as it is temperory worker) but will oppose the cause of immigration aspirants(Retrogression issue). So our issue may just piggyback the H1B stuff, because of their ignorence. I will prefer to keep quiet, I would try to clearify them if the were opposing H1B.

i am going nuts........i can see some logic in neha_wal's post.....
but i would like some debate whether it is true....that senators may be opposed to immigration?

what if they are presented with facts that we are beneficial to economy??

You should also consider, there is significant number of corporations who support the H1B issue(Because they get cheap labor), but there's nobody who cares for our green cards neither these corporations nor does anybody else(why would they ?). I know my employer would never want to see my Green Card coming. He was more happy on the birth of Backlog elimination centers than he was on the birth of his Son. I feel it is fortunate that retrogression issue is in the same bill as the H1B issue. My personnel feeling is if the retrogression part had came on a different bill, it would have been thrashed by the Senate itself.

agree better piggy back

neha_wal said:
And on the other hand I believe these guys favour H1B (as it is temperory worker) but will oppose the cause of immigration aspirants(Retrogression issue). So our issue may just piggyback the H1B stuff, because of their ignorence. I will prefer to keep quiet, I would try to clearify them if the were opposing H1B.

who is that great soul?

someone must have included retrogression and other 485 things in the bill. Not from us though... right?

I dont think they will outrightly reject anything which they don't understand.

This is just my understanding. They can't be that ignorant about H1B and GC.

Inputs are looking good. Particularly the posts that ask not to clarify to the politicians whole deal of EB retrogression.

My personal opinion is that we should not attempt to clarify. The provisions to ease EB visa retrogression are bundled with h1b provisions and that's good. I'll not be surprised to find some politicians to change their stands once they know they are talking about permanent increase in population.

From our point, it's absolutely justified that after working for so may years we should be given permanent residence but politics is different ball game.

Besides, the business lobby that is primarily responsible for taking up this cause and getting these provisions in this bill, is focused on h1b increase becuase that's hurting them.

So let's not try to clarify this to the politicians at this point.

However, it should be done if a independent bill is brought where legal & illegal immigration is involved or where only permanent visa are involved.

Somebody said that it should be clarified to politicians that oppose h1b increase. I'm not sure. If someone is against temp increase, I doubt that he/she'll support permanent increase.

So people, let's keep our efforts to fax/email on and leave rest to the GOD.

hi

Neha, we are NOT opposing the H1b increase at all. I have a feeling the senators want to help us out. I am sure that some of these senators DO understand that there is a difference.

Think abt it. We did NOT initiate this immigration reform, we ONLY wrote to senators AFTER we realized that there is some kind of immigration reform in the S1932. I dunno who ur personnel consist of and i dont mean any disrespect to them, but if i were u, i wudnt listen to them. The fact that the Bryd proposition was defeated so massively, tells us that most Senators ARE pro-immigration.

The reason why we keep stressing to distinguish between H1 ad EB is that H1's are STILL generally perceived to be a threat to american workers , whether it it actually true or not (so lets not waste time on debating whether we are or are not a threat). We need to impress upon them that we are NOT h1bs, else what might happen is that, the H1B increase might stay due to lobbying of companies, but immigration reforms may fail. We need to keep contacting Senators/Congressmen and in my humble opinion even the President's office directly.

Nozdam, I understand what you are saying here, but somebody said here, 'it's tricky'. What I see around is what I'm feeling about the whole issue. During various discussion at my work place we were discussing retrogression, but all the 'Angrez' in those discusson were thinking we were talking about H1B. I'm 100% confident if all the senators during that Vote knew what they were voting for, it would have been a different story. If we say, we are good people we can do work for you guys, they's say 'yes we support you', because they know these guys are good workers. But the moment you'll tell them we want to live here permanently, it becomes a different issue alltogether. Now there are exceptions, certainly!!! that's why there's a bill for this thing. It's just a difference of opinion between us, you may try to educate them. Who knows ? you may be right.

nozdam said:
Neha, we are NOT opposing the H1b increase at all. I have a feeling the senators want to help us out. I am sure that some of these senators DO understand that there is a difference.

Think abt it. We did NOT initiate this immigration reform, we ONLY wrote to senators AFTER we realized that there is some kind of immigration reform in the S1932. I dunno who ur personnel consist of and i dont mean any disrespect to them, but if i were u, i wudnt listen to them. The fact that the Bryd proposition was defeated so massively, tells us that most Senators ARE pro-immigration.

The reason why we keep stressing to distinguish between H1 ad EB is that H1's are STILL generally perceived to be a threat to american workers , whether it it actually true or not (so lets not waste time on debating whether we are or are not a threat). We need to impress upon them that we are NOT h1bs, else what might happen is that, the H1B increase might stay due to lobbying of companies, but immigration reforms may fail. We need to keep contacting Senators/Congressmen and in my humble opinion even the President's office directly.

past experience

All i am saying is, that from experiences in the past (letters FROM senators), they seem to be confusing the 2. I wud hate to see EB reforms going out of the window coz ppl oppose H1b.

And my feeling is they support H1B. Look at all the letters they are just talking about H1B and all of them are supporting H1B. Nobody is opposing retrogression, but neither that are talking about that. Now possibilities are they may ask for an amendment and thrash the immigration part, or they may just let it move as it is. But generally speaking Corporations and politicians support H1B.

nozdam said:
All i am saying is, that from experiences in the past (letters FROM senators), they seem to be confusing the 2. I wud hate to see EB reforms going out of the window coz ppl oppose H1b.

you know even if we can convey the message that if they can allow us to file 485 after I-140 approval....it will be a big relief...........since then we are not asking for any increase....of any kind...

That's something we should try for. But what this logically means is asking to remove the limit on Green Card numbers, as if you look at it logically, if you are able to travel on Advance Parolle and have an EAD do you really care for the Card ? Anway, that's not what we are discussing here. I think what we should do is just keep up calling/Faxing the Congressmen that 'please support the bill' and let's not try to educate them on the difference between H1B issue and retrogression issue.

techy2468 said:
you know even if we can convey the message that if they can allow us to file 485 after I-140 approval....it will be a big relief...........since then we are not asking for any increase....of any kind...

Last edited by a moderator:
Difference

It makes a BIG difference, EAD has to be renewed EACH year. (dunno abt advanced parole). Plus changing jobs requires filing of a different form etc. I mean it's still a MAJOR sword hanging over ur head.

HOWEVER It wud be awesome thought if they allowed us to apply for 485/EAD/parole.

anildel said:
Inputs are looking good. Particularly the posts that ask not to clarify to the politicians whole deal of EB retrogression.

My personal opinion is that we should not attempt to clarify. The provisions to ease EB visa retrogression are bundled with h1b provisions and that's good. I'll not be surprised to find some politicians to change their stands once they know they are talking about permanent increase in population.

From our point, it's absolutely justified that after working for so may years we should be given permanent residence but politics is different ball game.

Besides, the business lobby that is primarily responsible for taking up this cause and getting these provisions in this bill, is focused on h1b increase becuase that's hurting them.

So let's not try to clarify this to the politicians at this point.

However, it should be done if a independent bill is brought where legal & illegal immigration is involved or where only permanent visa are involved.

Somebody said that it should be clarified to politicians that oppose h1b increase. I'm not sure. If someone is against temp increase, I doubt that he/she'll support permanent increase.

So people, let's keep our efforts to fax/email on and leave rest to the GOD.

I agree 100%, the EB Retrogression clause is "Hidden" among the H1b clause.