Senate to Vote TODAY on Bill Eliminating Caps for Asylees and Parolees

cchong said:
Shamshon,

You have been a great contributor to this forum and you are no stranger to this forum of your openess of your political party. I just hope we do not start a writing campaign that accusing each other.

I really don't care if someone is a repubican or democrat. There are some good and bad people on both parties. We just need to identify the bad one individually and hopefully we can do something to persuade our relatives, friends, etc who have the power to vote these people out of the office.
I am not a democrat. I am attacking republicans because they epitomize the freaken nationalistic anti-immigrant frenzy in this country. The republicans have been playing on people's fear of change. The country demographics are changing and this creates a lot of dissonance for a lot of people. So, they will fight anything that will give some rights to immigrants. They are resisting a bill that would unite permenant residents with their spouses. They are pathetic. Having said that i apologize if i offended you.

shamshon said:
I am not a democrat. I am attacking republicans because they epitomize the freaken nationalistic anti-immigrant frenzy in this country. The republicans have been playing on people's fear of change. The country demographics are changing and this creates a lot of dissonance for a lot of people. So, they will fight anything that will give some rights to immigrants. They are resisting a bill that would unite permenant residents with their spouses. They are pathetic. Having said that i apologize if i offended you.

Shamshon,

You did not offend me.

We are not citizens and no right to vote. In other word, we have no influnce on either the parties. So noboby cares the vote from us.

The important for us is how to eliminate the cap and to be a citizen. Then we can choose whoever we support or not.

Suppose senator Brownback will submit his amendment, we need to win the vote to pass it. Now we only can do that is looking for supports from voting senators. It is better for us to continue to write to your state senators with AILA's letter.
http://capwiz.com/aila2/mail/oneclick_compose/?alertid=6410491

One action is better than thousands of word.

So what Senator Brownback is going to do now?Are there any other senators who support us?Everybody agree that immigration law "treats" asylees in most frustrated and unlogical way but nobody can do anything about that! Where is the solution?I've sent two letters to my senators beggind them to vote for amendment and I haven't recieved any answer!Now I found out that the amendment hadn't been even proposed!So what should we do now?It seems like we'll never solve the problem.

an idea

This bill has been proposed every year starting from 2000 and was never accepted. The least we can try and do is to let them know that there are thousands people out there who are impacted by this law and that the change is needed.

I suggest we draft a letter and send it/fax it to our senators. I have seen this action done on other forums. There has been incredible improvement in processing dates for those petitions (employment-based I-485s). I am not saying this action by itself had such a result, but it did bring the attention of congressmen and USCIS to those issues, and several changes were made in regulations and procedures.

The key is that it has to be massive, we have to do it at the same time so that our congressmen take it seriously.

I am starting a list of people that are ready to participate in this action.
Please make a posting here and I will update the list with your name.

List
-----

1. lusiks
2. ....
3. ....
etc

1. lusiks
2. Cl_Asylee

lusiks said:
This bill has been proposed every year starting from 2000 and was never accepted. The least we can try and do is to let them know that there are thousands people out there who are impacted by this law and that the change is needed.

I suggest we draft a letter and send it/fax it to our senators. I have seen this action done on other forums. There has been incredible improvement in processing dates for those petitions (employment-based I-485s). I am not saying this action by itself had such a result, but it did bring the attention of congressmen and USCIS to those issues, and several changes were made in regulations and procedures.

The key is that it has to be massive, we have to do it at the same time so that our congressmen take it seriously.

I am starting a list of people that are ready to participate in this action.
Please make a posting here and I will update the list with your name.

List
-----

1. lusiks
2. ....
3. ....
etc

Thanks, CI_Asylee for joining.

People, I can see by # of views that you are reading this post, so should I assume you do not want to be part of any action on the issues that directly concern you and your families?

Please, step up, there is no need to be afraid of anything. Your information is not requested, just your username. When we come up with the draft letter, you can download it, sign it and send it to your senators. Nobody on the forum will get your infor, if that's your concern.

If you simply do not believe in this, well then I say you have nothing to lose.

So PLEASE JOIN IN!!!

Thanks a lot cchong

Thanks cchong for taking my name off the list. I'm sure it was unintentional. ;) Here is the updated list;
1. lusiks
2. Cl_Asylee
3. Asluser
4. Wantmygcnow
5. Minsk
6. Punjabi_Munda
7. cchong

As far as I know we have some opponets in Senat.Senators Chambliss, Cornryn, Hatch, Kyl, Sessions and so on.How about them?Do you think we have more friends?Senator Brownback did not offer his amendment to the Foreign Operations appropriations bill because if he offered the
amendment Senators Chambliss, Cornryn, Hatch, Kyl, Sessions, and
Grassley would have offered an amendment that included many
provisions that were extremely harmful to asylum-seekers and
refugees.Does it mean that nobody will ever offer it?

I am not very familiar with the provisions that would be harmful to asylum and refugee-seekers, but I think that first of all, there is no guarantee that those will be immediately accepted once they are introduced. I mean it's the same game. I think that by letting know our senators about what we feel could get more support to this bill and perhaps they will introduce it again. If senator Brownback would know that he has more support from others, perhaps he would be more confident in promoting this bill.

The other thing is that you cannot generalize all asylum related issues. One problem that I see is that this bill had two parts: (1) elimination of asylee adjustment annual cap and (2) elimination of approved asylum annual cap.
Now, what we are talking here is about asylees who are approved already and wait for their GC up to 12 yrs. May be the second issue is what opposed senators Chambliss, Cornryn, Hatch, Kyl etc. Because the provisions they are mentioning is also for "asylum and refugee-seekers". Now, I do not intend to provoke any new provisions that would harm people who are about to apply for their asylum, but I do believe that it is important to make this distinction and take one step at a time. I believe that these two issues should be introduced in separate bills. One step at a time.

One more thing - I think that refugees currently have much more benefits than asylees, although we should be in the same position. So, may be they want to put stricter provisions for refugee applications, partly because of homeland security issues - and I can understand that. I do not think that asylees - people who are already in the U.S., being legal residents, paying taxes, passing all fingerprint and name checks - should suffer more because of possible provisions on refugee application processing and procedures.

So, I stand by my opinion that the least we can do is let them know how important is this issue to us.

L.

From the lobbier's message, they thought it's not a good idea to propose the amendment that day because under time limit the risk of passing the anti-asylum amendment was unclear. They just hadn't calculated that factor in at that time. Now they have more time they can tabulate Senator's attitude toward that so they want to be sure they don't do more harm than good.

I don't have any inside information. This is from their press release. You just need to be able to READ.

Minsk said:
As far as I know we have some opponets in Senat.Senators Chambliss, Cornryn, Hatch, Kyl, Sessions and so on.How about them?Do you think we have more friends?Senator Brownback did not offer his amendment to the Foreign Operations appropriations bill because if he offered the
amendment Senators Chambliss, Cornryn, Hatch, Kyl, Sessions, and
Grassley would have offered an amendment that included many
provisions that were extremely harmful to asylum-seekers and
refugees.Does it mean that nobody will ever offer it?