self-petitioned NIW approved at NSC !!!

Lincoln

Registered Users (C)
Hello, friends,

Great news! With the blessings of GOD, the impossible happened! I am a PhD candidate in computer science at a university in Colorado. Several months ago, I posted my qualifications on this forum for experts to judge my chance. All the responses are negative. In addition, I understand that, well, I am still a PhD candidate, only one first authored submitted (unpublished yet) publication. Two other publications in top computer journals, but they are second authored. I was thinking, heck, no matter what, I am going to try it. And, as long as I decide
to try it, I will try my best to get it.

NIW
RD: 6/5/2002
Approved: 11/5/2002
NSC

Some of my experience:

10 recommendation letters. 5 from inner circles (professors who
know you, in your departments, etc) 5 from outer circles (professors from outside, other universities, one from Finland, one from Korea, one law professor from George Washington Univ, a very famous law expert in this area, published well-known books in my area). And a top expert in my area. I was able to get hold of them via some connections. Ironically, I didn't seek a letter from my former advisor, under whom I did the research that was the foundation of my application. I believe he wouldn't give me good words. So, I worked around him).

Numerous articles, media reports to my groups work, though I was only a small part of it. I took the line carefully, in a way try
To say my contributions are important, as long as it is relatively true. I was able to convince the top experts to say I was a "key player". Most Americans understand that and would help you if you tell them the letter is for INS purpose.

More secrets? Yes. I plan to put up a package with every piece of my material on the web in the future (about 1.5 months later after I am done with my current paper) For further info, please contact denverhwu@yahoo.com
:)

Congratulations! Great job! I hope your success will encourage all those who petitioned by him(her)self.

Lao-Yi

Originally posted by Lincoln
Hello, friends,

Great news! With the blessings of GOD, the impossible happened! I am a PhD candidate in computer science at a university in Colorado. Several months ago, I posted my qualifications on this forum for experts to judge my chance. All the responses are negative. In addition, I understand that, well, I am still a PhD candidate, only one first authored submitted (unpublished yet) publication. Two other publications in top computer journals, but they are second authored. I was thinking, heck, no matter what, I am going to try it. And, as long as I decide
to try it, I will try my best to get it.

NIW
RD: 6/5/2002
Approved: 11/5/2002
NSC

Some of my experience:

10 recommendation letters. 5 from inner circles (professors who
know you, in your departments, etc) 5 from outer circles (professors from outside, other universities, one from Finland, one from Korea, one law professor from George Washington Univ, a very famous law expert in this area, published well-known books in my area). And a top expert in my area. I was able to get hold of them via some connections. Ironically, I didn't seek a letter from my former advisor, under whom I did the research that was the foundation of my application. I believe he wouldn't give me good words. So, I worked around him).

Numerous articles, media reports to my groups work, though I was only a small part of it. I took the line carefully, in a way try
To say my contributions are important, as long as it is relatively true. I was able to convince the top experts to say I was a "key player". Most Americans understand that and would help you if you tell them the letter is for INS purpose.

More secrets? Yes. I plan to put up a package with every piece of my material on the web in the future (about 1.5 months later after I am done with my current paper) For further info, please contact denverhwu@yahoo.com

What area are you working in

Congratulations! What area are you working in? It is really rare to hear a CS major to get an NIW approval!

area

That is why I said I made the impossible possible. My area
is loosely tied to network security, which is a hot
topic after 9.11

It all boils down to how to present your argument. It took a while
to convince myself. It took me 1.5 months to collect evidences,
materials, etc. However, at the end, I was very convinced that I could get it, because it was such a beautiful piece of work. I know INS officer decided to approve it after reading the first 5 pages of the 600 page application. I've been a TA and I see how good students turn in homework that warrants a high grade at the first sight...There are some smart trick that you can do...or rather, if you are a neat person and how to do things professionally, you know how to get anything done.

Re: area

500 pages! Great! You definitely did a great job. Everything is possible if you do it carefully and inteligently.