selective service registration

accountant

Registered Users (C)
I didn't register for Selective Service when I was required by law. Is that may create a problem with AOS? Anyone has request for selective service registration (males 18-26 years old) from CIS?

Thanks

Not yet....

Nope! but it sure will cause you problem at the time when you'll file for Naturalization. If I was you, I'll contact them now and explain to them in a cover letter that you weren't aware of the fact that you were supposed register. Take care of it now so that you have it ready when you file for citizenship.

It will also cause a problem when you try to get financial aid in college. I don't know how old you are. if you were granted asylum status after you are 26 years old, you don't need to register it.

Every male age between 18-26 years old must register for Selective Service. You can just call them and explain them why you did not register at that time.
Than they will send you the letter.

Send application now and save denial letter

Hi

Please go to post office and fill up the application now, You will receive a denial letter, keep that in your records..... one of my friend did the same and he just got his GC without any problem, he was not even asked for it in any RFEs.

Good Luck

Thanks for fast response.

I already received letter from Selective Service that I required to register but I didn't. I managed to get Financial Aid in college with this letter. Does anyone can give me link where said that Selective Service registration should not be an issue for AOS?

at first, foget what the letter said. how old are you when your asylum application was approved? if you are under 26, you should explain the reason of failure you may have a problem to get financial aid, if you were already 26, bring the letter and the original approval letter to your college, explain to them that youdon't need to register selective service.
as to AOS, I didn't find that there are any relation between them
check this: http://www.sss.gov/FSbenefits.htm

I was over 26 when I get approved for asylum .
that time I did try to register with selective service..of course I get denied.
in the denial letter they told me it was my fault ...and the compte my age from the first day I came to the united states not from the date of the asylum approval.
I think is not true because I came to united states with non-immigrant visa.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

accountant said:
Thanks for fast response.

I already received letter from Selective Service that I required to register but I didn't. I managed to get Financial Aid in college with this letter. Does anyone can give me link where said that Selective Service registration should not be an issue for AOS?

If you were asylee when 18-26 age, you were not required for SS. SS is only for PR or citizen.

GrassRoot said:
If you were asylee when 18-26 age, you were not required for SS. SS is only for PR or citizen.

It actually states in the asylum approval letter that Selective Service Registration is required by law (for asylees as well). Therefore, if you're here on any type of legal status (other than non-immigrant visa), you need to register with the Selective Service.

D.

I came to the US when I was 25 years old as visitor. Visitor I-94 valid till two days after 26th birthday. One month before my 26th birthday I received letter from CIS stated that I applied for asylum and may stay in US until my case resolved. Asylum approved week after 26th birthday.

Does asylum case admission letter from CIS change my non-immigrant status to some other status (asylum pending) or actual date of grant of asylum changed my status to immigrant? Hint is that if case admission letter didn't change my status from non-immigrant to whatever, I stayed till my 26th birthday as visitor. In this case I exempted from registration.

Any thoughts? :confused:

This is the link to "who is require to register"

http://www.sss.gov/MUST.HTM

P.S. Why they make our life so complicated? Don't they understand that we had enough trouble in our life? How those people expect us to know about selective service registration? :mad:

accountant said:
I came to the US when I was 25 years old as visitor. Visitor I-94 valid till two days after 26th birthday. One month before my 26th birthday I received letter from CIS stated that I applied for asylum and may stay in US until my case resolved. Asylum approved week after 26th birthday.

Does asylum case admission letter from CIS change my non-immigrant status to some other status (asylum pending) or actual date of grant of asylum changed my status to immigrant? Hint is that if case admission letter didn't change my status from non-immigrant to whatever, I stayed till my 26th birthday as visitor. In this case I exempted from registration.

Any thoughts? :confused:

This is the link to "who is require to register"

http://www.sss.gov/MUST.HTM

P.S. Why they make our life so complicated? Don't they understand that we had enough trouble in our life? How those people expect us to know about selective service registration? :mad:

Every Immigrant and illegal is required by law to apply for selective servce. Yes you were a non-immigrant but as you say you applied for asylum before your 26th birthday. Which means you are asking for a benefit from this country, by law even though your application is pending, you are required to register for selective service.

When you applied for asylum, you got a work permit right? Do non-immigrants have that right? Do non-immigrants have the rights to apply for a drivers-license by only showing they applied for asylum? You were AN IMMIGRANT, the day you applied for asylum. By law you should have applied for selective service. I know its very hard to know the laws when you are new to this country and who really looks what you have to.

But if USCIS was looking at logic, by logic you were required to register for selective service when you wanted to become an immigrant.

wantmygcnow said:
Every Immigrant and illegal is required by law to apply for selective servce. Yes you were a non-immigrant but as you say you applied for asylum before your 26th birthday. Which means you are asking for a benefit from this country, by law even though your application is pending, you are required to register for selective service.

When you applied for asylum, you got a work permit right? Do non-immigrants have that right? Do non-immigrants have the rights to apply for a drivers-license by only showing they applied for asylum? You were AN IMMIGRANT, the day you applied for asylum. By law you should have applied for selective service. I know its very hard to know the laws when you are new to this country and who really looks what you have to.

But if USCIS was looking at logic, by logic you were required to register for selective service when you wanted to become an immigrant.

when you apply for your E.A.D. did they ask for selective service registration?
when you apply for the driver license did they ask you for selective service registration?
even when you apply for asylum did they ask you for selective service registration?
I never be immigrant when I apply for asylum ..as you know immigration law is complex and nobady know for fact that he gonna granted asylum!!!
remember the first and only time you get ask for registration is in your asylum approval letter.
in the denial letter selective service adminstration mention that the record don't show that any letter has been send it ...that mean anytime they ask you for registration they will keep record.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

accountant, my situation is almost same as yours, I came to US and applied for asylum before 26, was approved after 26, I have same letter from selective service, I brought it with my approval letter to financial agent of my college, and got financial aid without problem. the law doesn't state when is the time line, from your applying for asylum or being approved. In general, asylees have no reason to know the requirement to regester until they get the approval letter which mention the requirement. this explainantion should be accepted by reasonable agents in various circumstances. so you have nothing to worry about.

That is strange. I never heard about SS so I never registered. I didn't have any problems with my FAFSA. I was admitted to public school in 4 months after my asylum was granted.

Minsk said:
That is strange. I never heard about SS so I never registered. I didn't have any problems with my FAFSA. I was admitted to public school in 4 months after my asylum was granted.
Minsk, are you a male or female? there is no required for girls to register.

I just checked my SAR(Student Aid Report) and it says Selective Service Flag: Selective Service Match: "Y" I guess I was registered without knowing that. I swear to God I never did myself.

ooh, sorry, :eek: , then the reason may be that your financial agent ignored it, usually they would check your registration