selective service registration question?

aspiringcitizen

Registered Users (C)
Any help with the following situation will be appreciated. I recently received my NOA for interview and one of the items that was listed (for me to bring to the interview) was "Any evidence of selective service registration".

I checked the appropriate boxed on the N-400 and mentioned that I was a male who entered the USA after my 27th birthday, hence selective service registration is not applicable to me.

If any of you have a similar experience, or, would be able to offer any suggestions about this, I would appreciate it.

Don't worry - everybody's letter says the same thing regardless of whether selective service applies or not. The IO will be able to tell from your GC issue date that you didn't need to register.

Is selective service regn reqd on parolee status

We have applied for adjustment of status in 2003 and are still waiting for our GC due to EB3 India visa retrogression. Recently my son got a letter asking him to register for selective services just before his 18th birthday. Selective services website says persons on "Parolee" status are also required to register. Does it mean my son has to register for selective services eventhough he has not received GC (but has travelled on Advance Parole and reentered US on "Parolee" status)?

The rule says you must register "if you are male and lived in the United States (in any status other than as a lawful nonimmigrant) at any time between your 18th and 26th birthdays".

I didn't see anything specifically mentioning AP or EAD, but as these are immigrant categories I'd imagine you should get registered and get it out of the way.

Dallas03096 said:
We have applied for adjustment of status in 2003 and are still waiting for our GC due to EB3 India visa retrogression. Recently my son got a letter asking him to register for selective services just before his 18th birthday. Selective services website says persons on "Parolee" status are also required to register. Does it mean my son has to register for selective services eventhough he has not received GC (but has travelled on Advance Parole and reentered US on "Parolee" status)?

Advance parole is not the same as being a parolee. And until your son receives a GC his current status (H4, F1, F2, etc.) is what counts. As long as he is on a valid non-immigrant visa he does not need to register. However, assuming that he gets his GC before his 26th birthday as seems likely, he will have to register at that point. If you want to reconfirm what I've said you might want to give a call to SS.

Sam

Applied anyway

boatbod and sam_c
Thanks for your replies. My son does not have a valid non-immigrant status H4 and our understanding is the status is "Parolee" when you enter US on Advance Parole. So he has applied for selective services registration.

Surprised to see in SS website even illegals residing in USA are required to register!