Selective Service Registration.... FAQ

asfasf

Registered Users (C)
Interview Letter asking for Selective Service Registration

Hi friends,

I received my Interview letter, it asks among other things, "any evidence of selective service registration". Since I came to US after my 26th birthday as a F1 student, and got my green card when I was 34, I think I am not required to register for selective service?

So do I still need to get SS letter, or just explain to IO during the interview?

TIA

Not that I know the answer, but I'd be stunned.
I am way beyond the age and it would baffle me.
Kind of feeling old now.

Perhaps he/she wants to make you feel happy by getting "carded"?

Considering that there have been cases of women being asked to bring proof of selective service registration, I wouldn't worry about it too much. However, just to avoid any possible delays in your case, request a status letter from Selective Service (www.sss.gov) and bring it with you to the interview.

Hi friends,

I received my Interview letter, it asks among other things, "any evidence of selective service registration". Since I came to US after my 26th birthday as a F1 student, and got my green card when I was 34, I think I am not required to register for selective service?

So do I still need to get SS letter, or just explain to IO during the interview?

TIA

Heck, I never even heard about Selective Service in all my 24 yrs here in the U.S until applying for citizenship last year. I came to the U.S when I was 19 on an F1 student visa and was on the F1 all through my 20s until I got my Green card when I was 33.

Since USCIS knows better than anyone else about my F1 student status, I assumed there is no more proof necessary. Should I be getting some other kind of letter?

You need to get the letter from selective service

According to selective Service, if you are here between the age of 18 and 26 you are supposed to register with them and women don't have to register. Doesnt matter whether you are H1 or F1. Howeverr when USCIS issues the interview letter, I dont really think they counter check this clause with Selective Service, as USCIS asked us (both me and wife) to bring the selective service letter. If you are here only after 26 you still need to get a letter from them stating that you don't have to register. So the bottom line is if you are male you need to get a letter from Selective Service irrespective of the age!

Hey...i have the letter stating that i don;t need to register since i got here after i was 26. Send them an email or walk straight to the office and grab it

According to selective Service, if you are here between the age of 18 and 26 you are supposed to register with them and women don't have to register. Doesnt matter whether you are H1 or F1. /QUOTE]

Not so.

Here is a direct quote from the SSS website on who must register and specifically which kinds of non-citizens are exempt:

NON-CITIZENS
Some non-citizens are required to register. Others are not. Noncitizens who are not required to register with Selective Service include men who are in the U.S. on student or visitor visas, and men who are part of a diplomatic or trade mission and their families.

That quite definitive that F1 status non-citizens do not have to register.

Hey...i have the letter stating that i don;t need to register since i got here after i was 26. Send them an email or walk straight to the office and grab it

Do they have local offices? Where to find it? I dont see this information on their website.

What documents do you need to bring with you to get the letter?

According to their website, you need to submit a form to them and it takes 4-6 weeks to get a response.

Thanks!

Send a letter to SSS.gov - send supporting docs (photocopy of F1 I-20s, EAD card copy, H1-B photocopies, Green card photocopy)

They will send you back a "Status Letter" - take the status letter to interview.

Its easy to get this from SSS once u send all the documentation.

USCIS seems to ask for SS letter as part of the interview notice quite often when the applicant has held a student visa. Maybe its because it is so easy to go out of status (at which point you are legally required to register).

Anyway, the OP does not really need a letter as it sounds like he didn't arrive in the US until after his 26th birthday.

Send a letter to SSS.gov - send supporting docs (photocopy of F1 I-20s, EAD card copy, H1-B photocopies, Green card photocopy)

They will send you back a "Status Letter" - take the status letter to interview.

Its easy to get this from SSS once u send all the documentation.

The question is how long it's going to take. According to SSS, it takes 4-6 weeks and my interview is 6 weeks from now.

Plus, I am not sure if I can find my H1-B visa. Is it needed? If I provide my F1 visa of my first entry, will that be enough? And how about OPT? Is it a different type of visa? Or is it part of F1?

Thanks!

USCIS seems to ask for SS letter as part of the interview notice quite often when the applicant has held a student visa. Maybe its because it is so easy to go out of status (at which point you are legally required to register).

Anyway, the OP does not really need a letter as it sounds like he didn't arrive in the US until after his 26th birthday.

Do you mean that I don't need to get the SS letter? yes I arrived US after 26. So I just need to explain to the interview officer and show her my passport stamp during the interview?

The question is how long it's going to take. According to SSS, it takes 4-6 weeks and my interview is 6 weeks from now.

Plus, I am not sure if I can find my H1-B visa. Is it needed? If I provide my F1 visa of my first entry, will that be enough? And how about OPT? Is it a different type of visa? Or is it part of F1?

Thanks!

Best is if you get the SSS letter before you go to interview. So, if they ask you, you can show the formal letter during interview and peace of mind.

Collect as much photocopies as you can (F1, OPT ead card - part of F1, I-20 copies, and H1-B)...whatever you can gather. Send it in one or two days by express mail to SSS office.

Then you will get your SSS letter in about 3 weeks or max 4 weeks.

I am wondering.....

Original Poster, Did you attach a statement with your N-400 explaining the reason why you didn't register for Selective Service?

Listen...to avoid not going to the interview with the letter, search for any SS nearest to you and walk in with the required documents and get the letter.It is better to drive there and see them face to face, get whatever you need and get out. Waiting 4-6 weeks might not come back b/4 the date of your interview and nobody would listen to your story.
Just a piece of info....
Thanks

Status information letter

Do they have local offices? Where to find it? I dont see this information on their website.

What documents do you need to bring with you to get the letter?

According to their website, you need to submit a form to them and it takes 4-6 weeks to get a response.

Thanks!

INSTRUCTIONS
For filling out the "Request for Status Information Letter"

Printable version of the "Instructions" page
Printable version of the "Request for Status Information Letter"
REQUIRES ADOBE ACROBAT READER

SECTION 1:

* Name: you must provide your complete name, and any other names you have ever used. If you have more than one last name, you must provide both names.
* Address: you must include your complete mailing address. Forms received without a mailing address will not be processed.
* Social Security Account Number: If you have a Social Security Account Number, you must provide it. Also, if you have ever used a different Social Security Account Number, provide that as well.
* Date of Birth: This form is only for men born after December 31, 1959, who are 26 years old or older. You must provide your complete date of birth.
* Daytime Telephone Number: If possible, provide a telephone number where you can be reached during the day, in case we need to contact you.
* E-mail Address: If possible, provide your e-mail address in case we need to contact you.

SECTION 2:
This section is for explaining and documenting why you did not register with Selective Service. This section consists of five different parts. You must complete and submit documentation for any and all parts that apply to you.

* Military: To obtain proof of military service, you may call the Veterans Administration at (800) 827-1000, or write to: National Personnel Records Center, GSA, Military Personnel Records, 9700 Page Blvd., St. Louis, MO, 63132.
* Incarcerated, institutionalized, hospitalized, or confined to home: for each instance, provide type of confinement, dates of confinement, and supporting documentation.

NON CITIZEN / ALIEN:

* If you entered the United States for the first time after your 26th birthday, you must provide documentation to support your claim. Valid documentation includes: entry stamp in your passport, I-94 with entry stamp on it, or a letter from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) indicating the date you entered the United States. If you entered the United States illegally after your 26th birthday, you must provide proof that you were not living in the United States from age 18 to age 26. Please note: your Resident Alien Card (Green Card) is not valid as proof of entry to the United States.
* If you entered the United States as a valid non-immigrant alien, and remained in that status to your 26th birthday, you must provide documentation to support your claim. For example, if you entered the United States as an F-1 Student, and remained in that status until your 26th birthday, you would need to provide documentation indicating that you were admitted on an F-1 visa and attended school full-time as required. (Acceptable documents for this situation include copies of your I-20Ìs or a letter from the school you attended indicating your full time attendance as a non-immigrant alien). The same thing applies for all non-immigrant statuses. You must explain, if at any point, you violated the terms of your visa, or overstayed your visa and became an undocumented alien.
* You should provide as much information as possible. We will use the information you provide to determine your registration status.
* Transsexual: For individuals who have had a sex change. You must indicate what gender you were born as, and attach documentation which indicates this as well.
* Reason why you failed to register with Selective Service upon reaching age 18 and before reaching age 26: Provide a written explanation for not registering with Selective Service.

SECTION 3:
Sign and date the letter. Return this letter to the address listed with copies of requested documents, and anything else you may wish to include. Do not send original documents, as they will not be returned. You should retain a copy of all documents and correspondence submitted.

HELPFUL INFORMATION

* This form is designed to be printed for use, and cannot be completed on line. After printing, complete the form, attach appropriate documentation, and mail to: Selective Service System, ATTN: SIL, PO Box 94638, Palatine, IL 60094-4638.
* This form is for use only by men born after December 31, 1959, who are not registered and are now 26 years old or older.
* This form is not a registration form, and by submitting it, you will not be registered.
* If you feel that you have already registered, verify your registration on our website (www.sss.gov), or call our Registration Information Office at (847) 688-6888 to obtain your Selective Service number.
* E-mail or fax transmissions of this form will not be accepted.
* We will issue a Status Information Letter based on the information you provide. This letter will clarify your status with Selective Service.
* If you are being denied a right, benefit, or privilege because you are not registered, submit a copy of your Status Information Letter and an explanation for your failure to register, to the Agency administering the right, benefit, or privilege. That Agency will make the final determination regarding your eligibility. The Selective Service System does not determine your eligibility for any right, benefit, or privilege.

Last Updated August 12, 2005
©2007 Selective Service System

I checked the sss criteria, and I did not have to register for the SSS. My interview letter had the same thing. My IO asked me, and I said I did not have to register since I did not have to based on my status. I took proof of my F-1 and H-1 which proved I did not have to, but he did not even ask for the proof. I dont think it is a problem based on my case atleast.

Listen...to avoid not going to the interview with the letter, search for any SS nearest to you and walk in with the required documents and get the letter.It is better to drive there and see them face to face, get whatever you need and get out. Waiting 4-6 weeks might not come back b/4 the date of your interview and nobody would listen to your story.
Just a piece of info....
Thanks

There is no such thing as Selective Service local offices. they do not take walk-ins under any scenario. It would be be nice to share with us how you can "see them face to face".

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you mean that I don't need to get the SS letter? yes I arrived US after 26. So I just need to explain to the interview officer and show her my passport stamp during the interview?

If you were never in the US prior to your 26th b'day, you really don't need the letter. Passport should be sufficient to prove the issue in the unlikely event that it comes up.

I came to the US when I was 18 years old with student visa.

A situation I came across while going down the checklist for applying for US citizenship. I wasnt aware that I needed to sign up for selective service after I got my green card when I was 23. Well I am 30 now and it is too late to sign up for selective service. My questions is:

Can I apply for US citizenship? And what are my chances of approval?

Whats is the probability that the INS will deport for me for not signing up for selective service?

What is the probability that I will go to prison for not signing up, if I call selective service for the selective services letter needed for naturalization?

Will select services accept my excuse for not signing up? I truly did not know.

I read on some other posts if I wait to apply for citizen ship after 31, the select service situation will be disregarded? Is this true?

I am very worried any thoughts on this matter will be greatly appreciated.