Selective Service Registartion through I-485

klim71428

Registered Users (C)
Greetings,

After waiting for 2.5 years for the name check to go through for my adjustment of status I finally got my green card 2 1/2 ago at the age of 27. Now that it is time for me to start thinking about N-400, I realized that our immigration system is disfunctional in more ways than I thought.

Apparently my signature on I-485 under the statement:

"I understand that my filing this adjustment of status application with U.S. Citizenship and
Immigration Services authorizes USCIS to provide certain registration information to the Selective Service System in accordance with the Military Selective Service Act. Upon USCIS acceptance of my application, I authorize USCIS to transmit to the Selective Service System my name, current address, Social Security Number, date of birth and the date I filed the application for the purpose of recording my Selective Service registration as of the filing date."

did not mean anything to the USCIS and when I went to retrieve my SSS registration number, I got null response.

Unfortunately National Customer Service Center was at a complete loss when I called them with my issue and they recommended that I visit local office in person.

Does anyone have a better suggestions based on personal experience?

Thank you,
Alexei

Well if you were on a valid non-immigrant visa all the time you were in the US prior to getting your GC, I don't see why you would need to register with SSS as registration is only required between the ages of 18 and 26.

For peace of mind you could apply for a status letter, but it requires quite a bit of legwork, especially if you ever held a student visa.

Well if you were on a valid non-immigrant visa all the time you were in the US prior to getting your GC, I don't see why you would need to register with SSS as registration is only required between the ages of 18 and 26.

For peace of mind you could apply for a status letter, but it requires quite a bit of legwork, especially if you ever held a student visa.

Boatbod,
Can you shed some light on the highlighted portion above?

What legwork is required? Any tips will be helpful.

I entered the US on advanced parole prior to my 26th birthday. Does that count as an immigrant or non-immigrant status.

What exactly is a status letter and how does it help?

BTW, I also believe that simply applying for the adjustment of status automatically removes you from non-immigrant category... Doesn't it?

Boatbod,
Can you shed some light on the highlighted portion above?

What legwork is required? Any tips will be helpful.

My understanding from people previously in this situation, is that the selective services agency requires proof of the start & end dates of each semester, as well as periods of OPT etc, etc. Basically they are looking to make sure you remained in a valid non-immigrant (F1) status throughout, and didn't inadvertently (or otherwise!) become out of status and therefore incur the duty to register.

I entered the US on advanced parole prior to my 26th birthday. Does that count as an immigrant or non-immigrant status.

What exactly is a status letter and how does it help?

A "status letter" can be requested from the selective services agency, and its purpose is to prove to USCIS that either you were not required to register, or are no longer required to register with SSS.

Generally speaking, it is most useful to people applying for N-400 between the ages of 26-31yrs who need to provide proof that they did not knowingly fail to register for selective services. It can also be used to prove that you weren't required to register (which of course would be its sole purpose if you applied for one).

BTW, I also believe that simply applying for the adjustment of status automatically removes you from non-immigrant category... Doesn't it?

Not sure about that. Maybe so, in which case you better get yourself a status letter.

It was pretty painless for me to receive my selective services status letter.

I came to the U.S. on an F1 visa when I was 18, received my green card when i was 30, and got the selective services letter in < 10 days simply by sending them photocopies of all my student I-20s (from the early 1990s), H1-B approval notices, and 485 approval notice.

It was pretty painless for me to receive my selective services status letter.

I came to the U.S. on an F1 visa when I was 18, received my green card when i was 30, and got the selective services letter in < 10 days simply by sending them photocopies of all my student I-20s (from the early 1990s), H1-B approval notices, and 485 approval notice.

gb111,

Regarding F1-status:

Boatbod has mentioned above about "proof of the start & end dates of each semester, as well as periods of OPT etc"

Did you need to provide all of these?
Was just I-20s copies sufficient? What about OPT practical training period?

I understand the H1-B copies. More interested about F1 related documentation - what are all the doc you assembled?