Selective Service Question

ganita

Registered Users (C)
Hi
I'm a bit confused with my Selective Service situation and hope somebody might clarify things for me.
During my first month in the US, almost 5 years ago, I received a letter from SS, with a SS registration number and said that it could have been used as proof that I got registered with them. I din't register directly, but on the forms we sent to the Kentucky Consular Center, there was the option to register with the SS and I remember selecting it, so receiving it wasn't a big surprise.

Lately, I'm collecting all my documents to fill my N-400 form. I recheck the SS notification form and I see that the Social Security number field is blank. I go on their website, click on "Check a Registration", enter all my info and get a message saying: "Sorry, a registration record cannot be found for this individual. "
I also tried to update my address. In this case it work, and I got a message saying that my address has been updated.

I'm very confused. Did I get a negative answer from "Check a Registration" because I didn't register directly online on their website? Should I have contacted them about my social security number from the beginning?
I always thought that Social Security Administration would send them all the information.

Another issue I'm worried about is updating my address with SS. I have moved around 6-7 times within the USA. I tried to update it the first and second time, but used to always get an error message from their website.
I see they have made some major modifications to it. After that, I think I just forgot.

How much serious do you think this fact is? Will it pop up during the interview? Anybody succesfull out there with his N-400 application who didn't update his SS address?

Thanks for your time in reading this.

The Selective Service web site doesn't have access to all records. The web site is apparently missing many (perhaps most or all) individuals who were registered as part of the green card process and didn't already have a Social Security Number on the day of becoming a permanent resident.

If you call them they can do additional searching to check that you're registered. If you still have that letter you got from the Selective Service, write the info in the appropriate section of the N-400, and bring the letter to the interview.

Another issue I'm worried about is updating my address with SS. I have moved around 6-7 times within the USA. I tried to update it the first and second time, but used to always get an error message from their website.
If the web site gives a problem with address updates, you're supposed to download form AR-11 and mail it in.

How much serious do you think this fact is? Will it pop up during the interview? Anybody succesfull out there with his N-400 application who didn't update his SS address?
It's unheard of for them to deny anybody fpr this reason alone. If you've updated your latest address with them, they almost certainly won't care about previous failures to update your address.

Thanks for your answer, Jackolantern.
I called them and was told that my Social Security was not in their files. They added it through the phone and said that if I check online within 24 hours my records should show up online.
I will also receive a new notification letter in my new address.

Do you know what date for the Selective Service should I enter on N-400? In the notification letter I have right now, it just says "Last Action Date"?

Thanks