Selective Service question

Select_Service

Registered Users (C)
I entered the USA with a J-1 non-immigrant visa in 2000, at the age of 24. After several months I fell out of status until 2002 when I filed my I-485. I received my green card in 2005 at the age of 28. I have recently found out that illegal aliens have to register with the Selective Service if they are under 26, which I haven’t done since I had no idea about it, and now unfortunately I am too old for that. What are my chances for Naturalization, and is that a subject for deportation?
Thank you for your replies.

Select_Service said:
I entered the USA with a J-1 non-immigrant visa in 2000, at the age of 24. After several months I fell out of status until 2002 when I filed my I-485. I received my green card in 2005 at the age of 28. I have recently found out that illegal aliens have to register with the Selective Service if they are under 26, which I haven’t done since I had no idea about it, and now unfortunately I am too old for that. What are my chances for Naturalization, and is that a subject for deportation?
Thank you for your replies.
I had asked a similar question in a chat forum at murthy.com. Check out what the attorney replied at www.murthy.com

My understanding is that since I genuinely did not know that I have to register at the time I was out of status, it may be excused. Is my understanding right? (murthy.com)
Thank you hipka (do you have a more specific link?)

is it so??

This registration with selective service is news to me and am getting worried reading about it.

We got our GC about 8 months ago and my husband and I entered the US in 2001, well after our 26th birthday, so that part is good.

But in my husband's case, he had briefly visited US in 1991 on an F1 visa for two months (he had to return back to India for some personal reasons), and he was under 26 at that time. Since his "first arrival" to the US was before he turned 26 (though that was way long ago and that too only for two months), does it mean he had to register with selective service? I know he hasn't since we got our GC. Will this be an issue? Can we do something about it?

Please help.

Kashish

Males between 18 and 26 with non-immigrant visas (F1, H1B, etc.) do not have to register. Selective Services registration in for male US citizen, green card holders or illegal immigrants too, who fall between 18 to 26 years of age.

Thanks sg_orl and JoeF, appreciate

JoeF, thanks for the link, we'll obtain the letter for our peace of mind. Bless you!!

Kashish

Last edited by a moderator:
JoeF said:
No. While every male between 18 and 25 (incl.) has to register for Selective Services, people in valid non-immigrant status are exempt.
It won't be an issue, but for peace of mind, he can request a letter from Selective Services, with evidence that he was in legal non-immigrant status, and the letter would then state that he didn't have to register. I got such a letter, just in case, for my own peace of mind.
See http://www.sss.gov/FSmen.htm
Also for the young ppl. who applied for 485 and got the GC before 26, you'll be extremely delighted to know that though USICS can forget and lose several documents they make sure that you get registered by SSS. In fact they register you on your behalf without even asking you( there is a note on the 485 appl. somewhere which silently extracts your approval ). Also you are supposed to notify SSS if you change your address. Another headache!