I-140/I-485 concurrent filing 04/02/2003
2nd FP done : Aug -28/2004
My empleyer made enquiry twice
My loyer made enquiry twice
Send letter through Senator one month back

I just received a letter from senator

Letter details:

I-140 case of so and name
The I-140 application was filed concurrently with the I-485 application on 4/01/2003. The fingerprints were done 9/16/04. TSC is working the two cases together and are processing I-485 cases dated July 2002.

Please pass the word to your constituents that our website:
www.uscis.gov is a wonderful tool for checking status of cases. The applicant must have the receipt number.

See how TSC's answer is .

what can we do now.
What do we say TSC?

Buddy,

This is where your lawyer needs to swing into action. There is something called Ohata Memo you should be aware of. That memo is explicit about how concurrently filled cases should be processed by the I-140 date NOT I-485 date. May be you should contact your senator back with these facts. Most of the immigration lawyers these days do nothing more than form filling. I feel really sorry about your case. Keep the hope up.

oh Man - this is bad news. Another 2 years of waiting.
Thank you for the information about the Ohata memo - it is strange that TCS employees are not aware of such memos.

Ohata Memo

Concurrent Filing of I-140 and I-485 Applications
The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (CIS) launched a nationwide initiative in April 2004 to establish special adjudication procedures for concurrently filed I-140s and I-485s in employment-based immigrant visa petitions where a visa number is immediately available. Generally, in a concurrent filing, both the immigrant visa petition (I-140) and the application for adjustment of status (I-485) are submitted to the CIS at the same time.[1] In a memorandum from Fujie Ohata, Director of Service Center Operations, to her subordinate Service Center Directors (“Ohata Memo”), Director Ohata ordered that concurrently filed I-140/I-485 applications be adjudicated by a single, specially-established team based on the initial filing date of the I-140 rather than the I-485. The Ohata Memo gave the Service Centers until April 31, 2004, to implement procedures to concurrently adjudicate I-140/I-485 filings. Prior to the issuance of this memorandum, the Service Centers were first adjudicating the I-140 immigrant visa petition and then returning the file to the processing queue for eventual adjudication of the I-485 application(s).

In response to the Ohata Memo, the California and Nebraska Service Centers announced pilot programs to rapidly adjudicate concurrently filed I-140/I-485 applications. The California Service Center (CSC) announced they would adjudicate within 90 days of filing those “pure” (same day) concurrently-filed I-140/I-485 applications that are based on approved labor certifications for qualified immigrants with advanced degrees (EB2), excluding those applications based on a national interest waiver. CSC Director Don Neufeld announced at a March 31, 2004 meeting with the American Immigration Lawyers’ Association that the 90-day adjudication would be subject to clearance of fingerprints and name checks. A CSC spokesperson indicated that as part of the Pilot Program, CSC will also try to clear out EB2 concurrent cases filed previously within the coming months. One goal of the program will be to adjudicate applications fast enough to eliminate the need for EAD and Advance Parole documents. In addition to the CSC’s pilot program, the CSC will also be making a concerted effort to reduce the processing times on all concurrently filed petitions to meet the goals of the Ohata Memo. This means that in addition to the pure concurrently filed EB2 applications, the CIS will also be prioritizing all concurrently filed applications.

Meanwhile, the Nebraska Service Center (NSC) announced it had initiated a pilot program to adjudicate I-140/I-485 applications within 75 days of filing, but it was unclear immediately which types of applications would be included in the NSC Pilot Program. The NSC announced that it hopes to lower total processing times on all I-140/I-485 concurrent filings to less than one year.

Jackson & Hertogs will continue to monitor these programs, and ensure that our clients take full advantage of available expedited processing procedures. However, it is important to note that these procedures could be changed or discontinued by the CIS at any time without prior notice. At this time, we do not believe that it would be beneficial for individuals with pending I-140 visa petitions and adjustment of status applications to withdraw those applications and re-file to take advantage of the programs for “pure” concurrent filings. The CIS has clarified that concurrently filed I-140/I-485 cases that are currently in their adjudication pipeline will be processed under the Ohata Memo standards and, as such there would be no need to refile these applications to benefit from the new procedures. Also, those individuals with already approved I-140 immigrant visa petitions are not eligible for consideration under concurrent filing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[1] Concurrent filing also allows for the I-485 to be filed after a receipt is issued for the I-140 immigrant visa petition. For purposes of ease, we refer to this as a “catch up” concurrent. When both applications are physically filed at the same time, we refer to this as “pure” concurrent.

cont...

The Ohata Memo states that, even when the I-140 is ready for processing and placed on the 'ready to adjudicate' shelf, it will not be processed unless the I-485 is also ready for adjudication. The I-485 is not ready until the fingerprints and name checks have cleared. Essentially, the I-140 will be held in abeyance until these procedures have been completed in connection with the I-485. This raises significant concerns for the application of AC21 portability. AC21 portability, as interpreted under current USCIS memoranda, requires an approved I-140 and an I-485 that has been pending for 180 days. Thus, delaying the I-140 adjudication until the I-485 can be approved inevitably will curtail the ability to use AC21 portability in most cases under these current USCIS interpretations. Of course, since AC21 is only available for long-delayed cases, if the new process speeds adjudications to within a six-month period, AC21 portability is not an available option. While we would certainly favor case adjudications within fewer than 180 days, current processing times are approximately two to five times this timeframe. Thus, this may not be a realistic goal, at least in the near future.

me too in same boat

ND 4/18/2003

FP1 expired on 9/12/04
FP2 waiting

contacted senator, congressman. lawyer contacted 4 times. nothing move so far.

TSC scheduled FP appointment on 1/13/05. appearently they sent my FP notice to old address even though I update my address with TSC(They sent the acknowledgement about my address change). I came to know this from my old postman. He has to send it back, because that letter states no forwarding

May 2003 Case still waiting

My case is:

I-140 ND 5/5/2003
I-485 ND 12/17/2003

I have the same situation as lrtest003's and GCNC's but I just did my first FP on Election Day (11/2/2004), with a LUD on 11/15/2004 for my I-485. My lawyer said that my case is a slower case since it was based on NIW.

Started to contact with the Senator and the Congressman last week but haven't heard anything from them.

Wish that everyone on this forum would be receiving your best Christmas gift from USCIS during the holiday season!