Security Clearance

baywatcher

Registered Users (C)
I just got a reply to my inquiry from CSC. it says my fild is awaiting final security clearance....blah. It is unable to estimate the amount of time it will take for the security clearances to be completed....

Sigh, it looks like it's not just the FBI name check, it may involve other U.S. government agencies for the security clearance.

I wonder once I got my security clearance, whether I can use it to apply for jobs that require security clearance.:)

baywatcher

baywatcher said:
I just got a reply to my inquiry from CSC. it says my fild is awaiting final security clearance....blah. It is unable to estimate the amount of time it will take for the security clearances to be completed....

Sigh, it looks like it's not just the FBI name check, it may involve other U.S. government agencies for the security clearance.

I wonder once I got my security clearance, whether I can use it to apply for jobs that require security clearance.:)

baywatcher

I also got the same reply. Not sure what's the exact security check that they are waiting up on... Doesn't look like FBI name check, the officer I spoke to also was not willing to say what the check was for... Any idea....!

security clearances

venkatram said:
I also got the same reply. Not sure what's the exact security check that they are waiting up on... Doesn't look like FBI name check, the officer I spoke to also was not willing to say what the check was for... Any idea....!

I guess probably FBI has a file on me for some reasons. That's why it takes so long for them to make sure I'm "CLEAN". if the FBI has a file on you, it doesn't mean you are a terrorist suspect or spy. Maybe you had contacts with some people who were of interest to the FBI. You were totally unaware of all it was all about.

I believe "security clearances" are something other than name check. It's a step further beyond regular name checks.

baywatcher said:
I guess probably FBI has a file on me for some reasons. That's why it takes so long for them to make sure I'm "CLEAN". if the FBI has a file on you, it doesn't mean you are a terrorist suspect or spy. Maybe you had contacts with some people who were of interest to the FBI. You were totally unaware of all it was all about.

I believe "security clearances" are something other than name check. It's a step further beyond regular name checks.

The only difference that I see with name check is that, when CIS sends a reply on name check they send it as ' Detailed Review ' but in this case they are saying 'Security clearance', may be that they use different terminology for mail and snail mail. Or, it could be that they both are different.

Has anybody received recently any reply from FBI for their enquiry for namecheck and for Security clearance check. For now lets treat both as different just to make sure that they both are same/different. I sent a mail a month back and not received anything yet.

One of the reasons why I was confident about the not being name check is that, my wife last name is very rare. And name check is usually duplicate names. The one reason could be that we applied for canadian immigration, so they may have got some info. reagrding that ..?

Also, I noticed in other thread that they have replied for a case in Dec 2003. Mine is Jan, 2004, so hopefully they may reply mine in another month.

Thanks

venkatram said:
The only difference that I see with name check is that, when CIS sends a reply on name check they send it as ' Detailed Review ' but in this case they are saying 'Security clearance', may be that they use different terminology for mail and snail mail. Or, it could be that they both are different.

Has anybody received recently any reply from FBI for their enquiry for namecheck and for Security clearance check. For now lets treat both as different just to make sure that they both are same/different. I sent a mail a month back and not received anything yet.

One of the reasons why I was confident about the not being name check is that, my wife last name is very rare. And name check is usually duplicate names. The one reason could be that we applied for canadian immigration, so they may have got some info. reagrding that ..?

Also, I noticed in other thread that they have replied for a case in Dec 2003. Mine is Jan, 2004, so hopefully they may reply mine in another month.

Thanks

Does anybody know if one has applied for canadian immigration do they get struck in name check...? just trying to identify the parrern(s)

Thanks

Venkatram,

I got my fingerprinting done for canadian immigration few years back but I never completed the application.

And now my case is stuck in name check !!

venkatram said:
Does anybody know if one has applied for canadian immigration do they get struck in name check...? just trying to identify the parrern(s)

Thanks

desi145 said:
interesting point !
I applied for canadian and also got stuck for name check for 1 year.

Hi Desi145,

Do you know when USCIS asked for name check. Is it soon after 485 RD or after FP.

Reg. above, the reason why I got this doubt is that both mine as well as my wife's cases are pending on name check. My wife's last name is very unique and still it was hanging on name check. Thats when I got the doubt as there is no other reason to hold my case.

Thanks,

name check requested soon after 485 RD...in fact exactly 15 days after 485 RD ( in early Jan 2004). FP in april 2004.

desi145 said:
name check requested soon after 485 RD...in fact exactly 15 days after 485 RD ( in early Jan 2004). FP in april 2004.

Hi,

Mine is exactly similar to your case. Who did you contact in fbi to expediate the request. I sent an email to FBI about a month back. No reply yet. Looks like they are taking couple of months to respond to the requests. Please let me know who did you contact.

Thanks

Is system check, security check?

I had initated an enquiry on the 485s of myself and wife in Dec. Now i got a response saying that the 485 is pending some system checks. Is this the FBI security check. or is this something else. Anyone know?

JS
140 Approved Nov 04
485 ND Jan 04

jswaminat said:
I had initated an enquiry on the 485s of myself and wife in Dec. Now i got a response saying that the 485 is pending some system checks. Is this the FBI security check. or is this something else. Anyone know?

JS
140 Approved Nov 04
485 ND Jan 04

Hi,

I know name check and security check or same but not sure about system check. I think it must be name check, not sure though

Did you enter US less than 1 year before filing for I485 by any chance?
jswaminat said:

JS
140 Approved Nov 04
485 ND Jan 04

ela6 said:
Did you enter US less than 1 year before filing for I485 by any chance?

Yes and i traveled in Dec 04-Jan 05. And re entered using AP. do u think that is the reason?

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe if you got your H1 renewed less than 1 year ago, they send the biographic info form I325A to the consulate where you got the visa (for some verificiation). If that is the case then they are probably waiting to hear back from the consulate.

Entering US less than 1 year ago may not make any difference. Sorry about the confusion.
jswaminat said:
Yes and i traveled in Dec 04-Jan 05. And re entered using AP. do u think that is the reason?

stuck at name check

Hi, there:

I was stuck at name check for more than 2 years. It may also be related to my previsous application to Canadian immigration.

I applied Canadian immigrantion in 1999. It was approved in 2001. But I never actually landed in. I applied GC in 2001 and my I140 was approved in July 2002. But my I485 is significantly delayed. It is still pending ...

Thanks all for information sharing!

Hi

Anybody in this thread applied for candian immigration still 485 not approved.Please post yr info(Date 485 applied...)Even i got the message" Waiting for Final Secuirty check clearance).Even i applied for Candian Immigration.

Regards
Kabish

I don't think applying for CAN GC has anything to do with US GC. Can you elaborate why you think it matters? My friend applied both and got his both GCs already.

hi kuoweiwang

I am thinking bcos i applied in March 2004 140/485 concurrently and 140 approved march 2005.Still 485 didnt cleared.I got laid off last month.So i inquired abt 485 "Is is waiting for final Security clearance" Is it same as Name check or different.I applied for Candian Immigration september 2003.So most of my friends saying bcos of Canadian immigration,it is taking long time

Regards
Kabish